Defensive Carry banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Super Moderator
25,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just have to ask since I guess I don't understand the reason for all the resistance.

The is a pending law in Maryland (I know...), that want to place a time on reporting stolen weapons, something like 48 hours to report them missing.

I don't understand why there is the problem with this? Years ago when my house was broken into and two pistols taken, I couldn't get on the phone fast enough to report the guns, with serial numbers, before the thief used them someplace else. :confused:

Thoughts?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Perhaps law enforcement is frustrated by a "person of interest" saying they had their gun stolen a while back, after the law enforcement traces a gun used in a crime, back to that "person of interest"?

It's too convenient an excuse to say, "oh yeah, that gun was stolen a year ago and I just haven't got around to reporting it yet".

(I realize that's a pretty weak reason, but it's all I could come up with) :biggrin:

Good shooting....deadeye

·
Banned
693 Posts
I used to get upset hearing that phrase "person of interest."

I live in a small town and if anything goes sour, I become a person of interest, especially when a fancy firearm or motorcycle is involved.

Kidding aside, we've had one murder here in my town in 17 years. True story, they came and questioned me and I didn't even know the girl, much less frequent bars, or any bar in almost 20 years.

I think the expression, "round up the usual suspects" applies more here.

But I sometimes wonder if behind closed doors they whisper, "Where's Chico been lately?"

Just as long as they still buy my knives...

·
Super Moderator
25,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
deadeye said:
Perhaps law enforcement is frustrated by a "person of interest" saying they had their gun stolen a while back, after the law enforcement traces a gun used in a crime, back to that "person of interest"?
That's sort of my point. I would think the "normal" folks would want to report the missing weapon right away! That's why I can't understand the problem with the bill. :confused: I would assume that this would allow local law enforcement to check the "person's" story, sort of a win-win.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rick,
Maybe I'm missing your point, but I totally agree with you that "normal" people would want to report a stolen gun ASAP. Unfortunately, laws are made for "abnormal" (non law-abiding). Honest people don't need laws to govern their behavior. It seems we have to legislate to the lowest common denominator of humanity.

Good shooting.....deadeye.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Rick,
Oops! I just realized I WAS missing your point. Went back and re-read your first post more carefully. You were asking "why the resistence" to a law requiring prompt notification. I took it to mean "why do we need the law". Can't come up with any reason for being against the proposed law. :confused:

Sorry, me bad. :smile:

deadeye

1 - 6 of 6 Posts