Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I spent weeks searching for a concealed carry gun and accidentally discovered the Steyr S9-A01, which I love. My wife and I applied for a CCW permits and I'm trying to find a concealed carry holster and it will be my first.

The tricky part is finding a holster which will fit this gun and accommodate a laser/light. :blink: So far I found two companies providing Steyr holsters for laser/lights and both are IWB. I'll keep searching for additional options.

IWB Concealment Holster Detroit Holster 8 Mile

Cleveland Holster - Custom Cut - ClevelandHolsters

Would you recommend one style over the other?

Thanks

Reactions: bmcgilvray

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My vote is for the Detroit holster I've read some reviews on them and all were good...
Thanks for replying!

The Detroit holster is basically just the kydex holster with a single belt clip. Cleveland kydex holster is mounted on a wide leather backing with two belt clips.

Do you think only the one belt clip and no leather backing is the better option? Again this is my first holster.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Yes the other is ok but takes up a lot of space on your belt, it's up to you I had to get several holsters before I found one that worked for me, ...

·
Registered
4,029 Posts
The hybrid can have new holes ponched using old 223 brass and with some better belt clips like from Comp-tac find a position and cant the works best and start trimmeing away un wanted or un needed leather !!?? Looking at the specs theres no reason a M series steyr would not work too .

You can also get a holster from Garrett Holsters that excepts a light . Some nice holsters there !! Did you check at steyrclub? Theres a heck of a list there .

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
You will learn over time (as the rest of us have) that getting the right holster for you takes some trial and error. Your challenge will be that there are not going to be a lot of holsters that are made for the Steyr...and even fewer of them that are made for the Steyr and will accommodate a light and/or laser.

Based on the two holster styles, I would say that the "Detriot" holster will be easier in terms of draw & re-holstering. The "Cleveland" holster will probably be more comfortable in terms of long term wear....but if it were my holster I would swap out the clips for a set of loops. My experience with clips (be they plastic or metal) is that unless they have a mechanism to create clamping pressure (like the ulti-clip) they never end up being sufficiently secure.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the DH web site. I was looking for some holster clips and they had what I wanted so they're ordered.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
Thanks for replying!

The Detroit holster is basically just the kydex holster with a single belt clip. Cleveland kydex holster is mounted on a wide leather backing with two belt clips.

Do you think only the one belt clip and no leather backing is the better option? Again this is my first holster.
when I was using Kydex holster, the one clip is what I liked, you can get on eBay the Detroit style holster at a much better price though.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
The Detroit holster has the clip over the body of the gun, so that area of your belt will be pretty thick, especially with a Steyr. A dual clip hybrid like the Cleveland would be thinner overall but take up more real estate around your belt. The Detroit would probably be more comfortable in hot and humid weather and is quicker to put on and take off. The Cleveland would probably be more comfortable (after it's broken in) to wear for long periods of time or while driving. I've had holsters from both companies, and they're both good quality. For most of my carry guns, I end up with more than one holster, depending on what I'm doing that day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts