Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ve had them as a pet back in the 70’s a couple of times, babysat 27 for a neighbor for a week around ‘04. No, I do not want 27.

About how few can we get by with for two people, we eat almost a couple of eggs daily - how many birds?

Are the moveable cages better or do we just let them in the garden, we want them for two fold, the eggs and they are natural bug eater and soil fertilizer - our goal is to garden organic as possible.

Tips on chickens, and nope we ain’t gonna eat these CWO will have to get some others to eat these 2 or 3 will have names and be pets too.

No we don’t want chicken recipes :sneaky:

Reactions: Mike in Texas

·
Registered
21,467 Posts
We have six hens and a rooster. We eat eggs every day.

Your choice of breed will have an effect on egg production

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
You could use crates, but having the small shed for a coop helps with predator issues. They tend to be harder to break into for critters. You just need to give the chickens a nesting place they can lay eggs in. My Grandparents coop had a series of shelves with metal entry holes. Each hole was in its own enclosed portion of the shelf.

They let the chickens in and out each day. They also had a lot of chickens because they sold the eggs.

Size of the eggs, and quantity of eggs laid, varies by chicken breed. I never got into caring about that, so I don't know any breeds to suggest getting.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Was thinking of the big chickens not the bantams, I like those they are beautiful but the eggs are too small. Whatever lays big brown eggs would be up my ally, also the bigger one’s I think would be better to teach the dogs to leave alone. Not sure how the dogs will work out with chickens but obviously we don’t want them bothering the birds but would like to be able to have them together?

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Either dogs will leave the chickens alone, or they won't. Farmers shot the dogs that did not, and if it was there dog killing a neighbors animal they used to pay the neighbor for damage done. Whoever killed the dog was not bothered. That was the way it was back in the 80s and early 90s when I was growing up.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We have six hens and a rooster. We eat eggs every day.

Your choice of breed will have an effect on egg production
Thank you, so six would give us daily eggs - good to know! Really don’t want that many, hope no more than 5 would do.

·
Registered
170 Posts
there are two types of chickens you can raise. One for eggs and another for meat (take them to the butcher when they are big enough). Whats a few more chickens as long as your raising egg hens? Friends also have turkeys. I asked if they were pets and had names and I was told they are called "Xmas, Thanksgiving, New Year" etc.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What about fencing, what is the best way to fence in the area. Do you have to have it overhead too? There will be a 4’ or 5’ chain link area around the house is that tall enough? Keep stuff out, keep stuff in we figured this would be best?

·
Premium Member
8,457 Posts
The local farmers market folks tell me that sometimes they don't have enough eggs to bring to sell because it is when the hens get "broody" - whatever that means. I know there are different kinds of chicken feed and most are composed mostly of GMO corn, which means your eggs and the chicken meat will be tainted. You want to get only organic feed. There is a "scratch and peck" kind and a kind that encourages egg laying. And, in addition to 4 legged predators (and dogs), birds of prey will swoop down and steal your chickens. That should help answer your question about whether you need fencing on top of where the birds will roam.

Mostly you want to avoid Purina feed for any animals, fish or birds. There are quite a few other bad brands, so use your search engine to find the certified organic ones.

"And that's all I know about that!"

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you @ShooterGranny , all good stuff to know. The only time I’ve had them, well one fell out of a tree sleeping and broke it’s neck, and the other one a fox or coyote got along with my pet rabbit. Was in the 70’s, haven’t had any birds since and again, these were more less pets.

we want them for eggs and organic gardening.

·
Registered
21,467 Posts
What about fencing, what is the best way to fence in the area. Do you have to have it overhead too? There will be a 4’ or 5’ chain link area around the house is that tall enough? Keep stuff out, keep stuff in we figured this would be best?
You want to have a couple of more than you need in case a few get broody. This usually happens in the spring and summer when they want to sit on, and hatch out eggs. We have the same hen that gets broody and sits every year.

The bottom of your fencing needs to be dig proof as well as the top needs to be protected.

Despite numerous foxes and coyotes, I can say with confidence my chicken coop and runs are predator proof.

·
Registered
2,314 Posts
I grew up on a small commercial chicken farm for meat production, but if I remember my poultry science class from college correctly (yes, I took one), hens average a little less than one egg per day. I'm thinking around 5 eggs per week. So 14 eggs a week would take somewhere around three hens. But I would think you would want a couple extra hens beyond that just in case production dropped, which it will from time to time. But I am no yard chicken expert. Someone who knows much more than me will chime in, hopefully.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Snakes love eggs...a few glass doorknobs or small glass balls will take care of them. You may attract skunks...they love chickens...so do So. Baptist preachers...
For the snakes I had heard of putting golf balls in the nest to mess with the snakes.

Yeah, know bout them baptist preachers I’m Southern Baptist. My best friend is a Baptist preachers daughter from GA (redhead & wild). Almost got arrested on the roof of the Baptist church in the 70’s with the preachers son, but we told the cop the truth - we really were trying to see a hoot owl in it’s nest that was right over the one story plain church. Cop never believed us....well, it was the 70’s and we did rightfully smell like weed, but it was the honest truth about the owl. 😉

·
Registered
6,523 Posts
We have had several different breeds over the years. Golden Comets are real good layers. We found that (6) Golden Comet hens were plenty of eggs for the two of us plus extras for neighbors. You really don't need a rooster if you are just wanting eggs. I recommend getting sexed ones so that you aren't wasting time with roosters. Chicken wire IME, WILL NOT keep out predators! (It just contains the chickens.) 6' Welded wire fence lined with 36" layer of chicken wire works very well along with shade cloth for top cover (keeps hawks and owls out) IME. Also use a light and timer inside your coop during the winter otherwise chickens will slow down their laying in the winter months. Heated water bowls are necessary during winter if you have below freezing temps. Just my .02 worth! Good luck!

·
Registered
4,690 Posts
What G-man said. You will want to feed them from feeders that expose only a bit of food at a time (in a circular fashion) otherwise they will foul the lot of it. Also, be aware that chickens will attract rats and mice. The rats will take a chick that wanders too far and both rats and mice will go after the feed. They will chew through bags and plastic containers so we keep our feed in metal garbage cans.There's tons of information online about the traits of the various breeds and how to raise them. They are fun to watch how they interact.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And mood music? Gaithers?
We’re both Gospel Music fans, saw on Huckabee a man called Branson MO the Christian Las Vegas, that is great news! About a 20 minute drive for us after we get relocated 😃

Jason Crabb is my favorite, and his family. All those kids are talented in that family. Matthew Hagee (pastor) in Texas is in a group that is wonderful called Canton Junction they are really good too IMHO.

We do not like the new stuff, the chanting of a few words. Creepy feeling, the words don’t seem deep like they know about the relationship. We need another Dottie Rambo! 💕

Reactions: GRCarry and CWOUSCG

·
Registered
7,661 Posts
I've been listening to Canton Junction...they are good...Hagee oughta stick to singin'. There'll never be another Dottie Rambo...she knew Who she was singin' about.
Chanting or endless repetition leaves me cold, too. If you have to whip it up...it ain't the Holy Spirit.( This post brought to you by Sister's Chicken Corner.)

·
Registered
45,327 Posts
A calendar of rooster pinups will keep them laying year round.

• Haha
Reactions: Sister and Snub44
1 - 20 of 51 Posts