Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its a rural range, often my wife and I are alone there.. Its quite large- got rifle and shotgun / 22 LR only, pistol and rifle/ handgun only sections on probably 20 acres, surrounded by nothing in the direction the rounds go.. So I put just 20 rounds through my 10/22, thats not why i went, then put 10 rounds through my P32 keltec, again not why i went.. Then went to the rifle shotgun area. I seldom take my long guns to the range- maybe once a year.. I wanted to handle, shoot and re aquaint myself with all of them.. its a modest arsenal, besides the 10/22 i own a marlin Camp9, Ruger PC Carbine, Savage Axis .223 bolt with cheap scope, Ruger Mini 14, and a mossberg 500C 20 ga. thats probably over 10 years old, and MIGHT have 10 rounds through it.. they all needed to be fired, looked over, squeezed, fondled, and perhaps cleaned.. As I was getting ready a guy i had talked to briefly at the .22 area plesantly came over and started to give me grief.. He was affiliated with the range, and i dared put out my own targets, something that everyone always did including myself.. When I tried explaining i had no idea what was going on this was something that was never a problem, he angrily told me i needed to read everything before I went out on the range.

I guess they had changed policy, and now you had to use designated backstops for any long gun.. never got any notices from the club, although they sure do send us mail when its time to pay up each year.

he directed me to a very small paper posted notice about a foot square that I could barely see, let alone read.. Sure enough, I was in defiance of club rules, that had changed since I last used my long guns.. So yeah I was wrong, packed up all my guns, threw them in the truck and just left, not wanting things to escalate.. Guess i need to read every little scrap of paper each rage visit in case something new is added that I am unaware of.. Having a range thats usually barren of anyone else shooting is a good thing usually, but then you don't get to know whats happening as far as changes, and one could certainly be out of compliance and not realize it.. Yes, I was wrong, but crap, I pay like everyone else, and am a member -he didn't need to make me feel like an idiot.... bob

·
Registered
4,091 Posts
Yes, I was wrong, but crap, I pay like everyone else, and am a member -he didn't need to make me feel like an idiot.... bob
Tact sometimes seems a rare superpower at some ranges. Some guys can be real blowhards over minor things. Often they’re not as skilled, knowledgeable, or safe as they imagine themselves.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
I'm confused , you put up your own targets and this is against policy ?

Or is the backstop that you had vs the range backstop the problem ?

·
Banned
2,103 Posts
Blow it off. Ignorant people do ignorant things. Next time at the range ask if there have been any rule changes since the date of your last visit. That outs the burden on the ignorant.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
I'm confused too. You were using your own targets, but the rules mention backstops, not the same things. I don't know of any range that only lets you use their targets. Some don't allow realistic targets of bad guys with guns or even silhouettes, but not only using their targets. We have one unmanned range that only allows their backstops, but no restrictions on targets. They do have their own that work for me for ordinary target practice. I still use my own silhouettes for defense practice.

·
Registered
5,894 Posts
Our FOP range rules are posted clearly on a 3'x6' sign in reflective letters. The same range rules are posted on our website and when you become a member you have to sign that you have read and are aware of the rules. It works for us so your range/club may want to consider doing something similar to avoid problems in the future. Just my .02 worth!

20191102_113137.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,938 Posts
I'm confused too. You were using your own targets, but the rules mention backstops, not the same things. I don't know of any range that only lets you use their targets. Some don't allow realistic targets of bad guys with guns or even silhouettes, but not only using their targets. We have one unmanned range that only allows their backstops, but no restrictions on targets. They do have their own that work for me for ordinary target practice. I still use my own silhouettes for defense practice.
^^^^ I'm confused too.

The gun club I currently belong to is apparently similar to the OP's. I'm typically the only person on the range most days (retired and go weekday mornings). The club is not very good at communicating with our roughly 1,200 members. So I could easily envision a rule change going unnoticed by the members. New members receive a current orientation. But current members only need reorientation every three years where ALL the rules are gone over. Those that fail to get the reorientation aren't allowed to renew their memberships.

Sounds like the OP handled this well considering the lack of tact by whoever was scolding him.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
I, on the other hand, am hardly confused at all. The OP lives in NY. Sounds to me like simply "business as usual" NY style. Maybe I'm mistaken. :smile:
@beebee I'm in now way pounding on you...were I you though, I would have a long talk with whomever seems to be responsible for collecting dues before I rewarded their bad behavior.

·
Registered
1,727 Posts
At one sportsmen's club I did range maintenance as a volunteer, basically on the handgun range and occasionally on the rifle range. Occasionally there would be individuals that would complain that the range was closed, few if any would offer to help which would have hastened the reopening. There were also occasions when I paid out of pocket for materials and never asked for reimbursement.

At the monthly meetings there were individuals that would attend just to complain about range closures and why wasn't the maintenance done during the week days as opposed to the weekends.

Signing in by all members was required before range usage and there was a requirement at that point to read the rules. Apparently reading comprehension was an obstacle to certain individuals of the membership or they simply ignored to do so.

Basically I now utilize my own private range on my own property. Its rather basic but there is one advantage I don't have to tolerate others!

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
Being the RSO isn't fun and games. But it's no justification for being an ass either. Now you know.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Been a RSO for years and I never climb someones tree in public. I start off courteous...."Did you know...." If they challenge me publically then I will go to telling.....I have never had to remove someone and I have yet to have someone publically challenge me....courtesy reaps great results; allows those wrong to save face; and allows for a safe interaction.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I had put the target about I dunno 30 yards downrange from the shooting/standing area. about 70 yards past that was the 100 yard backstop., and then beyond the backstop is a 20 or so foot high dirt berm. Target was about 5 feet off the ground, a heavy sheet metal 20x20 square swinging on a metal pole in the ground , with a square paper target taped on.

It was never a problem in the past, but as stated I don't shoot the long guns but maybe once a year, and they changed everything.. No biggie, I know now, and of course will abide their rules.. No more anything except paper taped to the backstop.. No home made target holders at all in the long gun area.

Same guy a few years ago went ballistic on me because while putting my empty 9mm M&P Shield away in my gear bag, with slide open I "crossed his body line" with the barrel.. He was standing a foot from me and I was just putting the open unloaded pistol in its bag.. Again I see where he was coming from I suppose, but I'll tell you what, I do NOT envy you guys that have to fight crowds at the range and have to stay all day to run 100 rounds through your guns.. Next time I go it will be sleeting, 20 degrees, wet and miserable with no one there Whenever one of the "elders" is around, you get the 3rd degree, and watched like a hawk... It is what it is,, it can't be easy running an operation like that even in a rural area.. However they are known for alienating members.... bob

·
Premium Member
366 Posts
I’m assuming there’s no real competition in the area. Unless you copped an attitude (you didn’t), there’s no reason for his power trip behavior. I avoid unfriendly places. Your range seems unfriendly.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I’m assuming there’s no real competition in the area. Unless you copped an attitude (you didn’t), there’s no reason for his power trip behavior. I avoid unfriendly places. Your range seems unfriendly.
Nothing else around here.. its either this very large and pretty nice often empty range , or you don't shoot unless you have big acreage.. I don't.. I don't want to use the term unfriendly really, but I do experience that "walking on eggshells" vibe when the "caretakers" are around, terrified I might do something wrong. I scrupulously try and be right down the line correct and follow every rule, but I dunno, already got reprimanded twice in two years while committing an error I didn't really know was an error.. i'm a 65 year old man, but I feel like a little 8 year old that was spanked for being bad, without knowing what i am getting spanked for! lol... bob

·
Registered
682 Posts
Some people seem to get off on intimidating others. They most likely have been bullies since childhood and have never been challenged. I despise these types. Unfortunately you are between a rock and a hard place. I understand you have no other options available. This guy will get a big surprise someday and be looking up from the ground at a guy who does not foster bullies.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts