Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I work as an aircraft mechanic. Right now I do the maintenance for a flight school in South Florida and at about 4pm we get a call that one of the flights that went on a cross country has issues. I called the pilot up to find out what happened and apparently the starter motor grenaded (case blew out and pieces were everywhere.)
They were safe and it happened when they went to start up their Cessna 172. So we looked in our inventory and had a replacement starter and the boss made the decision to send one of us up to the airport. The owner of the flight school actually made the call to fly us up (which is a rare thing). So I got asked if I wanted to go, and I said yes.
I gathered my tools (and holstered my Glock 23) and hopped in a flight up to the other airport. By the time we landed it was getting dark so I got right to work while I could see. It only took a few minutes to change out the starter, but putting the cowl back on took about 30 minutes due to pain in the butt hardware. At this time it was night and getting really dark where we were parked.
All 4 of the pilots there are from Norway and have served mandatory military terms. They were discussing a friends S&W and I chimed in when asked a question. Well, as soon as I turned off my flashlight, one of them asked why my belt was glowing green. I then realized that my Meprolight sights were shining brighter than hell thru my work shirt. One of them asked what kind of gun it was, and the others guessed. They must know me better than I think because they all guess Glock.

We took off into some bumpy weather and discussed military training and weapons, and agreed to go to the range soon. I asked them not to spread the word that I carried (even though she is locked up while at work.) They had no problem with it and understand the Concealed is concealed idea.

When we landed, I debriefed my boss who waited up for me and we closed up shop. On the way thru the dark hangar with only my flashlight leading the way...he chimed in... "Your baby is glowing thru your shirt...."

Its good to have a good boss...

·
Banned
160 Posts
That's actually pretty funny. I'm glad that it worked out ok , it doesn't seem to be a problem.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
Cool story...nice to be with people who don't 'freak out' at the mention of a gun, not to mentions a gun-friendly work environment. Thanks for sharing.:bier:

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
Very cool. Thanks for sharing.

·
Premium Member
2,355 Posts
Now I'm going to have to do a "glow check."

·
Registered
405 Posts
Went through USAF pilot training 14 years ago with several Norwegians. Good guys all...not surprised at the reactions you got.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but since I have no experience with night sights I have a question.

Has anyone who wears glasses ever looked into a mirror while in a darkened room to see how bright the reflection from the sights would be?

bosco

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
Your Glock is just like another tool multi tool in the toll box. It can be used for protection and a flash light.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Note to self: Comtinue to wear heavy cover shirts at night...

*whew* Good thing it turned out well! Lesson learned.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
That's just ONE reason why I never put night sights on a handgun (or any weapon for that matter). Another reason is that when it's THAT dark, you're going to be point-shooting anyway.

If it's that noticeable through a shirt, imagine how a BG can see you in the dark if he is beside or behind you and you don't know exactly where he is.

Personally, I think night sights are one of the biggest marketing ploys ever foisted upon the handgun public. Just my humble opinion after a VERY scary night one time long ago as an MP.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
That's just ONE reason why I never put night sights on a handgun (or any weapon for that matter). Another reason is that when it's THAT dark, you're going to be point-shooting anyway.

If it's that noticeable through a shirt, imagine how a BG can see you in the dark if he is beside or behind you and you don't know exactly where he is.

Personally, I think night sights are one of the biggest marketing ploys ever foisted upon the handgun public. Just my humble opinion after a VERY scary night one time long ago as an MP.
And I thought I was the only one who felt that way.

I wonder how may people with lasers on their guns realize the BG can see the beam emanating from their gun and then know exactly where to shoot back?

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
And I thought I was the only one who felt that way.

I wonder how may people with lasers on their guns realize the BG can see the beam emanating from their gun and then know exactly where to shoot back?
I wonder how many people rely too much on the laser? I started to get one for my wife. Then decided to just train her to shoot a stinking gun instead of point a laser. The nite sites are giving me something to think about. Never thought about it that way.

Unrelated, but just got through talking to my wife about it. Flashlights on guns. Anyone ever think about the fact that if they are clearing the house they are pointing the gun where they shine the light? Think I'll keep the flashlight off the gun.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I love the fact that you can carry on GA flights.

A few years back I was doing a preflight/walk-around inspection of a C-172 . . . and was visually checking the fuel level on top of the left wing. To get the right angle so you can see into the tank opening, you have to lean over quite a bit.

I hear my instructor give a "AHEM" behind me, and as I glance over he points to my hip and says "you are peeking." Nothing more was said.

I love being a Texan.

·
Registered
63 Posts
When I put my gun on tonight to go to the store, I noticed my sights glowing....but never thought that they might show through a shirt!

Thanks for the tip!

JVD

·
Registered
170 Posts
I'd just tell them I was radioactive.
As a cargo pilot - that flies in and out of the GA side of things this almost works for me! Since occasionally I carry radioactive cargo! (used in medical applications)... Makes me wonder what that might do for my offspring someday though! :blink::rofl:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts