Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at a large gathering tonight at a friends house I go to often. He has several dogs but one that is pretty much an outside dog. This dog is used to me and friendly but this was his first exposure to me while I was carrying. Tonight he was inside and he would not leave me alone. He kept sniffing at my Supertuck/G27 and trying to stick his nose up under my shirt. He kept getting more enthusiastic about it until people started to really notice.

I was jokingly asked if I had a sandwich in my pocket to which I replied with a quite hilarious but not so family friendly statement to deflect and the night moved on. I pulled my friend aside and asked if he could take care of his dog and he did so with no problem.

I'm wondering why the dog was so fixated on it though. It's relatively new horsehide that has that strong aroma to it so I wonder if it was the odor. I also cleaned the G27 the other day with Hoppe's #9 Solvent which has that unique somewhat antiseptic odor to it. Any clues?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Probably thought he had found his chew toy..:aargh4:

·
Registered
112 Posts
The dog is actually a sheep in disguise! lol

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
I wonder if the Hopps has the same type of smell that antifreeze has? Dogs will go after antifreeze like that.

·
Premium Member
7,703 Posts
I hate it when that happens! :rofl:

He probably smelled the sweat soaked leather. :wink:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
My dogs sniff at all my holsters I use regularly, even when they arent on me. I think its the body smell ingrained in it. They just like it or something.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Heh, he is still young and chews everything, hence his outdoor status Sgt. Z. He might very well have associated the leather smell with a chew toy.

Bullseye, I completely forgot about the sweet smell of antifreeze attracting animals. Okay, so that would be Ethylene Glycol. None of that in Hoppe's #9 but there is Kerosene, Ethanol, Xylene, Amyl Acetate, Ammonium Hydrochloride, and Citronella.

I don't think any of those are particularly attractive to a dog. It must be the leather. The other dogs could have cared less though.

·
Banned
5,253 Posts
Probably thought he had found his chew toy..:aargh4:
That's what I was thinking.

New leather has a smell that even an old dog like me loves. My dogs on the other hand are trained to not chew, smell, touch or otherwise have anything to do with any leather product I own, as saddles are too costly to replace when the dogs use them as chew toys.

Biker

·
Premium Member
10,047 Posts
Pretty funny, but not about being outed! I'm guessing it was the leather smell.

·
Registered
749 Posts
It has occurred to me before that you could give away that you have a firearm by the smell of gun oil if you aren't careful. I wasn't thinking of dogs, just people. Just a thought.

-john

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
He could smell 'trouble'...:rofl:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
It might have been the leather or the cleaner. My dogs went nuts when I started wearing a leather holster, and Ace is very curious right after it's been cleaned, but it's usually more of an "ew, what's that smell?" sniff, and then he walks away.

·
Registered
862 Posts
probably a combination of leather/cleaner/knowing another sheep dog is around. sounds like was just ultra curious to find out what type of gun/holster combo you had.

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
The dog was obviously a Glock fan.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'll go with he gets fed alot of pig ears as treats, recognized the smell of leather and thought you were hiding a treat for him!

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Dogs name wasn't "Deputy" was it? :embarassed:

Definitely the leather smell that the pooch was checkin out.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I really believe that dogs have a second sense when it comes to weapons. On more than one occasion I have had dogs that know me very well act entirely different when I am carrying. Even my own dog acts differently. They seem to be a little more standoffish and wary when I'm carrying.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts