Defensive Carry banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a new holster from Black Arch Holsters... it is Ventilated ! I have had it for a few days and finally had the chance to wear it for a full day, and I have to say I am impressed. It is far more comfortable than I thought it would be. Initially i had some personal issues with the clips, but I was using long spring steel clips, and found it rode too close to the belt, impeding my grip. I dug into my goodies box, and replaced them with the black plastic clips from black arch, and this solved the problem. Using the first hole of each clip, on the top hole of each side of the holster, the holster rode perfectly. Some quick observations.... the backers are laser cut, not die cut. When you open it, there is a very slight burnt smell and possibly some residue from the cutting process. a quick wipe of the edge solved any residue and the odor dissipates very quickly and was a non issue. I could only smell it after opening the package if i stuck it in my nose, and it is mostly gone at this point.

The center of the holster is leather backed for wear resistance, leaving the wings ventilated. The actual backer of the holster is fully padded, without being bulky, and the surrounding leather is actually suede. I have the suede option on several of my Black arch holsters and it is very comfortable and really keeps the holster in place without being aggressive.

The ventilated backer is part of the protos M line, and as such, it is interchangeable with the current protos m shells. The backer is available by itself for a current protos m user, or as a complete holster. I have become very fond of the protos m modular system. I typically use the single clip backer most, as i like single clip holsters, but with the weather quickly turning colder, i anticipate using the OWB backer more with bulkier clothing.... but i digress....

As I am accustomed to the heavy leather backers that i prefer, the ventilated backer is a bit of a change for me, but I have been very pleased with it thus far. It was a little strange at first but i quickly gfrew accustomed to it and found it to be as comfortable as the ACE-1 Gen 2 and the protos m that I typically wear. For you folks in the hot climates, this may just be the ticket you have been looking for if you have found hybrids to be too hot !!!!!

Oh yeah, there are color options for the front ventilation panels. I opted for blue as you can see, but there are other choices to be had as well. It doesnt do anything for functionality, but it looks pretty darn nice !!!

( this is cross posted on PDF as well)

webshots-1010883 by knapptimephotography, on Flickr

webshots-1010895 by knapptimephotography, on Flickr

webshots-1010893 by knapptimephotography, on Flickr

webshots-1010879 by knapptimephotography, on Flickr

webshots-1010866 by knapptimephotography, on Flickr

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How stiff is the bottom edge at the end of the barrel? More or less stiff than the original all leather version?
The backer is not nearly as stiff as the original leather backer found on the Ace 1 series holsters. The edges are fairly soft ,but I have found no issues with it thus far. I was initially curious how it would play out being a softer backer, but it works perfectly

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
Very interesting..

Should I pick up a new CZ P10 C from CZ-USA, I'd consider a custom leather'holster
from Eric, or the Protos M holster like yours for CZ's striker-fired offering.

I've waited for 5 years for the P10 C, so a couple months will not hurt me.

The Gunwriters say that Glock 19 holsters will work fine.

Reactions: Taurahe

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I have one too and like it a lot so far. It's light and comfortable. I'm hoping it's as durable as the all-leather ACE-1. I really like the Protos-M kydex shell design where the kydex covers both sides of the trigger guard area and provides positive retention, regardless of the amount of pressure from the body against the back of the holster.

·
Premium Member
5,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have one too and like it a lot so far. It's light and comfortable. I'm hoping it's as durable as the all-leather ACE-1. I really like the Protos-M kydex shell design where the kydex covers both sides of the trigger guard area and provides positive retention, regardless of the amount of pressure from the body against the back of the holster.
I have been wearing the ventilated backer regularly for a little while now and it has held up well. No signs of wear yet. I regularly practice drawing from concealment at home and have been impressed

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,321 Posts
:yup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts