Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've posted before about my general uneasiness surrounding open carrying around my town. Usually, when I take the pup out for a walk, I'll strap on my kahr OWB and set out. This afternoon, the wife and I walked down the road past a car which was disabled on the sidewalk. Immediately, I became nervous about walking by a LEO while OCing (it is legal here). As I walked by, I noticed that the LEO wasn't really paying attn to us, he was too busy trying to get the car figured out.

If he noticed the gun, he didn't seem to care too much about it! That was a good step for me feeling more comfortable OCing while I'm still here. Too bad they don't allow OC in Texas...:aargh4:

- P
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,765 Posts
No, I never applied here because I didn't have the funds handy.
Didn't your Az permit cover you in Colorado?
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
13,684 Posts
Why is it that so many people get nervous around law enforcement while obeying the law?
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
50,603 Posts
Getting your permit would make things a LOT easier.:yup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
You'll get used to OC'ing. That's not meant to sound casual about carrying a loaded weapon, open, in public. And, I support your open carrying, period, even if you had a CCW permit.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,461 Posts
OC'ing gets easier over time. Since a few members have posted a few messages I decided to OC the last 2 days while I was not working.

I walked to a local Del Taco not far from my apartment compex. No problem! The next day I walked to a McDonald's. Again, no problem! I got very few odd looks at all. It makes me wonder if we make too much ado of OC'ing!

I prefer to CC but once in a while it's nice to OC without any of the general public being too concerned. It's a good feeling under the circumstances.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,207 Posts
I do a bit of both, just depends on the situation. Example, it took me 7 months before my father knew I had a permit or weapon. I OC'ed around him one day and I am not sure he noticed, but the drunks at the rental property sure did. The next day, I did the same, no reaction. He goes to yard sales alot, and stops at random. I wont OC at one because I am not sure how total strangers will react to someone bringing a firearm on their property. Also wont OC at the mall, otherwise, it just varies with me. I get the most nervous going into my local bank, not sure why, I know one of the bankers is a CHL holder and he knows I am as well, but the rest do not, BUT I have done it.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,706 Posts
Why is it that so many people get nervous around law enforcement while obeying the law?
I believe it is the "10% factor" just look at posts about LEO over reacting to having a legal firearm in the car. 10% give the other 90% a bad rap...............


Except in Chitcago there it is the 10% getting a bad rap from the other 90%:twak:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,236 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Didn't your Az permit cover you in Colorado?
Nope, in Colorado you have to be a resident of the state the permit was issued from in order for them to honor it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
342 Posts
I have OC'ed in Mc Donalds and have had no problem.

I also OC while walking the dog, and have talked to some LEOs while doing so.

Usually they just have a "casual" chat with you and your on your way.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,706 Posts
Usually they just have a "casual" chat with you and your on your way.
That is what I call the "LEO BUMP"; just like a BG will ask for a light, the time etc to gauge your reaction and decide if to continue the assault, just like a shark will literally bump an intended meal to decide if it is weak enough to attack.

LEO will engage in "casual" conversation to gauge your response, if you act suspicious you are likely to be investigated further.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
106 Posts
I do a bit of both, just depends on the situation. Example, it took me 7 months before my father knew I had a permit or weapon. I OC'ed around him one day and I am not sure he noticed, but the drunks at the rental property sure did. The next day, I did the same, no reaction. He goes to yard sales alot, and stops at random. I wont OC at one because I am not sure how total strangers will react to someone bringing a firearm on their property. Also wont OC at the mall, otherwise, it just varies with me. I get the most nervous going into my local bank, not sure why, I know one of the bankers is a CHL holder and he knows I am as well, but the rest do not, BUT I have done it.
Guy I OC Daily, in the bank, although I have closed two accounts at banks that didn't support my right to carry. Doesn't bother me, lots more banks out here to get new accounts at. I wouldn't worry about carrying at the yard sales, people who don't like it can always ask you to leave. I don't mind being asked to leave either, as I wouldn't want to spend money at a place that doesn't support my right to carry. Out here in Arizona recently a law allowing concealed carry in bars & resturaunts serving alcohol has started an uprising. The businesses that don't want people cc guns in to their locations have been busy putting up No Carry signs& they are losing money. A group that I belong to has been careful to leave No Guns No $$$ business cards and speak with managers in these no guns locations. I am glad for the No Gun signs, makes it easy to see just where I want to spend my money!
Anyhow if you give open carry a try for awhile, you will eventually get so used to the stares that you won't even notice anymore. Then you can start getting used to the people who walk up to you and ask "Are you a policeman?" Pretty soon, you'll be memorizing lines to tell these people when they wonder "Why do you hafta carry that gun?" How about, "Tried carrying a cop, but they're just too heavy."
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,995 Posts
No, I never applied here because I didn't have the funds handy.
I haven't spent any time getting familiar with municipal codes in the Denver area but I suspect you could save yourself a fair amount of heartache by just getting a CC permit. You'll find the money somehow.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,421 Posts
+1 on the permit. I like not having the angst over what the :sheep: think and feel when they see weapons out in the open.

:bier: GBK
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
712 Posts
Why is it that so many people get nervous around law enforcement while obeying the law?
I am always afraid that they will remember my face from an old milk carton and make me go back to the town where I grew up!!!! I think I still owe an overdue library book charge of 11 cents.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,995 Posts
+1 on the permit. I like not having the angst over what the :sheep: think and feel when they see weapons out in the open.

:bier: GBK
Truthfully, I'm not sure what is or isn't allowed with regard to open carry in Denver or Lakewood. I don't open carry in town and I'm not likely to get out of compliance anyway with anything Denver has going because I avoid the place as much as possible. I wish our OP well but do think a CC permit would be advisable for him to get.
 
1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Top