Defensive Carry banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Back in January I picked up a Colt LW Commander in .38 Super. it’s a Talon Army edition. Initially I thought it was in great shape as it was extremely clean for a used gun. Boy was I mistaken! I’ve posted before on all the gory details so I won’t rehash. Bottom line, I replaced all the springs and extractor, including the mag springs. I also had issues with some factory ammo feeding.

I’ve worked up some good handloads and tested everything out over a couple of range sessions and I’m happy to say it’s now in my EDC rotation! Matter of fact, I have it on now in a Nelson Defender holster.

It’s been a long ride, never figured on this being a project gun but I learned a lot about the 1911 platform so it was worth it. I think! 😆.

I came up with a nice load with 124gr XTP over 8.1 gr of HS-6. Don’t have a chrono but I think it’s turning about 1200 FPS. The photo below has those plus a couple of other loads, 200 rds all together. Never had a hiccup.

C077D967-5F24-4F0F-BFC0-8414B25978F0.jpeg

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
I only see a pic of target, no pic of 38 Super. :confused:

Reactions: airslot

·
Premium Member
4,080 Posts
It is funny how sometimes spur of the moment projects can turn into an obsession.
I love the 1911 platform, but there is still so much more i need to learn about them.
You got a great gun and a fine education at the same time.
I applaud you!

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is funny how sometimes spur of the moment projects can turn into an obsession.
I love the 1911 platform, but there is still so much more i need to learn about them.
You got a great gun and a fine education at the same time.
I applaud you!
I need to learn a whole lot more too, but I’m a tinkerer so I’ll get a degree from The School of Hard Knocks, 1911 Edition! 😂

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Reactions: airslot and CWOUSCG

·
Premium Member
7,287 Posts
Beautiful gun! I really like the looks of those grips. The compliment the gun perfectly, and I bet they are "more 'n plenty" grippy too! I see a lot of beautiful custom wood grips here and on other forums, but a really well designed/cut set of G10's to me is perfect. Just my opinion, and I'm not a guy, so ........whatever.

·
Registered
3,521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Beautiful gun! I really like the looks of those grips. The compliment the gun perfectly, and I bet they are "more 'n plenty" grippy too! I see a lot of beautiful custom wood grips here and on other forums, but a really well designed/cut set of G10's to me is perfect. Just my opinion, and I'm not a guy, so ........whatever.
Thank you, I like the grips too. The gun came with slim line grips but they just didn’t fit me. These are Altalmont’s and are real close to the same color and pattern as the originals and are standard size. I shoot much better with them.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts