Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was at the LGS yesterday, on my bi-weekly visit, to see what they had that was new and interesting. I must say, the supply of firearms has returned to, almost, normal. The showcases were full of S&Ws, Glocks, Colts, Springfields, Kimbers, etc. Lot of neat stuff there. I noticed some Dan Wesson 1911s. Back in the 70s, I was fortunate enough to one of their revolvers, a Dan Wesson "Pistol Pack". The gun was finished beautifully and had a super smooth, short, double action trigger pull. Economics during the "Jimmy Carter days" forced me to sell the gun. I never gave much thought to Dan Wesson after their temporary demise a few years back.

Just for the heck of it, I asked to see one of the DW 1911s. A 45ACP with adjustable sights. I was very surprised at the smoothness of the action and the trigger was, IMHO, a dream to pull. Of course, I got to thinking, "do I really need another 1911 with adjustable sights in 45ACP"? Before I could answer myself, the clerk said "All their triggers are that way and they are available in 10MM with Novaks, but they leave the store as soon as we get them in". OK, Now you have my attention. I was sad that they did not have one of those "10MM Razorbacks" in stock because I would, in all probability, have left with one. Of course, after I left the GS, common sense got the best of me and I thought that I would ask you guys what your thoughts were on the Dan Wesson line of 1911s. I already own a 10mm, A Colt "Delta Cup". Do I really need another 10MM?

Notice, I am trying to justify getting one, even though you guys may,"try" to talk me out of it.

·
Premium Member
5,463 Posts
You should know better that to walk into a dive bar full of drunks and inquire as to whether you should have a neat glass of bourbon or not...

The last 1911 I bought was a Springfield Trophy Match. I don't buy many new or late model firearms. I was not looking for one, and I generally prefer Colts, but I handled it at a LGS, fell in love with the fit/finish and the glassy trigger right out of the box, and I've not been to shoot since without putting it in my range bag for at least a few magazines. If you really love to shoot (and I get the impression that you do) figure the odds that you regret it? You'll enjoy that for the rest of your life, and very little in our world is built that way.

Deep down we all know the truth of what Solomon wrote in Ecclesiastes. We love stuff that's well made to stand the test of time, because we're all painfully aware of how short out time here is, and how everything turns to dust. Holding something that will last and keep working for far longer than we will somehow seems to mitigate that a little. Even better is something made a long time ago, that is still working, and will still be working long after our internal mechanisms have quit.

DWs most certainly rate. Buy it, enjoy it, and don't look back. Odds are you won't even think of looking back!

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
DO IT......:scool:

·
Premium Member
5,127 Posts
I have H&K/SIG-Sauer .45ACP fever really bad right now. I can't go near a gunshop until at least Febuary.

I just bought a Kel-Tec .380, but that was out of neccesity rather than want.

·
Premium Member
2,753 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
You should know better that to walk into a dive bar full of drunks and inquire as to whether you should have a neat glass of bourbon or not...

The last 1911 I bought was a Springfield Trophy Match. I don't buy many new or late model firearms. I was not looking for one, and I generally prefer Colts, but I handled it at a LGS, fell in love with the fit/finish and the glassy trigger right out of the box, and I've not been to shoot since without putting it in my range bag for at least a few magazines. If you really love to shoot (and I get the impression that you do) figure the odds that you regret it? You'll enjoy that for the rest of your life, and very little in our world is built that way.

Deep down we all know the truth of what Solomon wrote in Ecclesiastes. We love stuff that's well made to stand the test of time, because we're all painfully aware of how short out time here is, and how everything turns to dust. Holding something that will last and keep working for far longer than we will somehow seems to mitigate that a little. Even better is something made a long time ago, that is still working, and will still be working long after our internal mechanisms have quit.

DWs most certainly rate. Buy it, enjoy it, and don't look back. Odds are you won't even think of looking back!
Either our thought processes are running in parallel or you know me personally. I am unsure of which. I do appreciate a good shot of Wild Turkey. I AM partial to 1911s, especially Colts. I do read and attempt to follow the wisdom of David and Bathsheba's son. I am fond of older items, they just seem to be of better quality. My Stihl weed wacker is 34 years old and still runs like a champ. Most of my guns are 1960's and older, one Win 42 with a 3 digit serial number. I do try to shoot something every day.

Have you ever given thought to becoming a shrink? Perhaps, you should work in sales at a gun shop.

So far, everyone thinks that it would be a wise decision to purchase the DW. The LGS is going to call me as soon as one arrives. Perhaps the "Plastic Toys Boys" will attempt to discourage me before the phone rings.

Reactions: Jaeger

·
Registered
407 Posts
Do it. I am a huge fan of the 1911 platform, and had I not recently bought a Kimber, I would pick up a DW in a heartbeat if I found the right one. However the bank right now is still in recovery mode after my last shopping trip to the LGS. They have excellent finish to them, and I really want to get my hands on a guardian.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts