Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now first off I'm a Glock man. Glock 26 and/or 43 are the carry guns. Glock 40 MOS 10mm is one of my field guns. And at other times I'm a 1911 man to. .45 and 10mm!

But I wanted to see what the Bersa CC, which looked so cool, would do.

Bought a chromed CC Bersa .380 at a pawn shop. $175, tax included!! Came with case, papers, trigger lock key, and that one spent case. Just one mag.

Went out using Winchester white label FMJFP and CCI Gold dots. With the Winchesters at 5 yards (checking to see if the fixed sights shot POA) it put all 8 rounds into one ragged hole! And get this, right were the sights looked!! Holy cow! I did this with three mags full and then went to CCIs. The gold dots opened the group a bit but not much!

Later I got two new Bersa mags for the CC, I call the gun CC now, and Fiocchi ammo (FMJ). Groups not quite as good as the Winchesters and it shot a bit high. Maybe an inch high, big deal!

In all I’ve put about 100 rounds through the gun with all three mags. NOT ONE JAM!!!

Excellent! Total cost, including two spare mags, $237! No, it ain’t my Kimber Classic Stainless MK 1 nor my Glock 26, but it is an excellent little carry gun!

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
Bersa 380 are Good To Go in my experience with them, I recommend them to anyone looking for a 380. Inexpensive, proven design, acceptable cartridge what's not to like.

·
Registered
34,057 Posts
I looked at the Thunder .380 when I first considered carrying, but after handling one, I felt it was large and heavy for that small of caliber. The pistol seemed nice enough, but for its size I wanted more punch. So I opted for my Glock 30. Yeah, still larger and heavier, but what a pleasure to shoot!

·
Premium Member
1,843 Posts
I looked at the Thunder .380 when I first considered carrying, but after handling one, I felt it was large and heavy for that small of caliber. The pistol seemed nice enough, but for its size I wanted more punch. So I opted for my Glock 30. Yeah, still larger and heavier, but what a pleasure to shoot!
Ohhh, heheh. Went with a slightly larger caliber, eh @OldVet?? :bigun2:

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
One of my wifes first handguns is a bersa 380CC also . Great smaller pistol . One day she brought home the Bersa Thunder Plus also . Wider grip but a nice rubber grip and a slightly longer barrel and 15 rounds . May not be a 9mm or larger But 15 rounds of 380 is not chicken scratch ether . Both of the bersa's was have so far have run ever thing we tried , even my coated 95 loads ran great first try . As it turned out if my wife wants a smaller than her Kimber ultra she tends to grab a TCP 380 any more .

·
Registered
6,842 Posts
I've never shot a CC380, (gonna have to try it one day), but I'm always sort of impressed with it's cousin...

bernardelli model 80 380 acp.jpg

If they'd only figured out a better way of releasing the magazine! Oh...this is a Bernardelli Model 80 in 380.

There is a fair family resemblance.

unnamed.jpg

Reactions: DJC7

·
Registered
892 Posts
Now first off I'm a Glock man. Glock 26 and/or 43 are the carry guns. Glock 40 MOS 10mm is one of my field guns. And at other times I'm a 1911 man to. .45 and 10mm!

But I wanted to see what the Bersa CC, which looked so cool, would do.

Bought a chromed CC Bersa .380 at a pawn shop. $175, tax included!! Came with case, papers, trigger lock key, and that one spent case. Just one mag.

Went out using Winchester white label FMJFP and CCI Gold dots. With the Winchesters at 5 yards (checking to see if the fixed sights shot POA) it put all 8 rounds into one ragged hole! And get this, right were the sights looked!! Holy cow! I did this with three mags full and then went to CCIs. The gold dots opened the group a bit but not much!

Later I got two new Bersa mags for the CC, I call the gun CC now, and Fiocchi ammo (FMJ). Groups not quite as good as the Winchesters and it shot a bit high. Maybe an inch high, big deal!

In all I’ve put about 100 rounds through the gun with all three mags. NOT ONE JAM!!!

Excellent! Total cost, including two spare mags, $237! No, it ain’t my Kimber Classic Stainless MK 1 nor my Glock 26, but it is an excellent little carry gun!
Just to clarify, did you get the Thunder CC .380 or the BPCC .380? I'm assuming the former. Either way, enjoy!

I have the BPCC in 9mm and love it. It's light, thin, accurate, reliable, fits my hand very well, points naturally and is a joy to shoot. My wife had the Thunder for a while. It was reliable, accurate and felt good in my hands. It kicked more than I thought it should, but overall I really liked it too. I personally feel like the Bersa brand is underappreciated in general, but for the most part it seems that folks who own them or get a chance to shoot them are impressed!

·
Premium Member
7,166 Posts
There is a huge difference between the Thunder cc 380 and the BP380CC. I had the BP380CC, because when I bought it I was looking for "the most Glock Like .380," and it was indeed very Glock-like except for take down and reassembly when it was all but impossible to line up those teeny "scratches" on the side of the frame and slide.

As far as accuracy, it was spot on. It was totally non ammo picky and it even tolerated some amount of limp wristing which Glocks do not tolerate at all. It did have some rust - brand new out of the box, both on the barrel and in the magazines, but once I cleaned the gun and the magazines thoroughly with Frog Lube and hair dryer, there were no more rust issues at all.

Because of the difficulty in field stripping and reassembly, I wound up trading it for a Shield 380 EZ, which is ever so much easier to use and clean but has some problems, mostly related to the weak magazine springs. You can't expect to limp wrist a Shield and shoot the thing because if you do not have a truly high and TIGHT grip on the backstrap, the grip safety will not be pressed firmly enough and it just plain won't fire.

Back to the OP: I also firmly believe that Bersa is very underrated. You get an lot of reliable gun for the money! Most of the Bersa models do have a sharper recoil, but unless you have severe arthritis or are hyper-recoil sensitive, this should not be a problem.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Great deal for the money, dependable as any gun, and you even get one more round in the CC model. I put nice wood grips on mine which look great and provide good texture.

·
Premium Member
606 Posts
@Deaf Smith do you have any locked breech .380s to compare the recoil against? I've owned a Glock 42 (now gone), Ruger LCP II, SIG P290RS and SCCY CPX-3, all locked breech. The LCP is not pleasant to shoot because it's so small and light, but the other 3 are all soft shooters. I've avoided blowback .380s because of their reputation for unpleasant recoil due to heavy slides and stiff springs

·
Registered
502 Posts
I bought a thunder cc from my local pawn shop and brought it to my range the next day. I shot 100 rounds and was impressed with the accuracy and it ran flawlessly. I was a bit surprised by the recoil impulse which was stouter than I expected but by no means harsh. Took it home to clean it and couldn’t get it apart. I brought it back to the store I bought it from and he couldn’t take it apart; so, he gave me a full refund toward a Glock 42 which I have no regrets owning. I really liked the CC though and wouldn’t mind owning a new one some day

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
ShooterGranny, the Thunder CC. And yes, it is very underappreciated. Like the Rossi 92 lever gun (and I have to .44 magnum Rossi's, one a stainless steel 16 inch job in .44 magnum and the other a nickle plated 20 inch, also in .44 magnum.)

I'm not a big Taurus fan, but the Bersa and Rossi guns I am now (and I have several Rugers, Colts, S&Ws, Marlins, Remingtons, and other American made guns!)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
@Deaf Smith do you have any locked breech .380s to compare the recoil against? I've owned a Glock 42 (now gone), Ruger LCP II, SIG P290RS and SCCY CPX-3, all locked breech. The LCP is not pleasant to shoot because it's so small and light, but the other 3 are all soft shooters. I've avoided blowback .380s because of their reputation for unpleasant recoil due to heavy slides and stiff springs
Well no. I have the Glock 43 9mm, but the Bersa is my only .380. The Bersa CC, being mainly steel, does not kick much with Winchester ammo. But the Fiocchi stuff does kick more. 1010 fps with 95 grain bullet compared to Winchesters 955 fps for their 95 grain FMJs. And that explains it!

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
buckshotshorty The bersa thunder series don't come apart like typical pistol but there sure not hard to do specially with youtube videos for those subject to not reading manual's and comprehending the info there !! ha

Now to think a gun shop person could remover the slide to me is akin to asking a car salesmen to service my care . They might could figure it out but sure not likely unless they own one them self and service it .

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
buckshotshorty The bersa thunder series don't come apart like typical pistol but there sure not hard to do specially with youtube videos for those subject to not reading manual's and comprehending the info there !! ha

Now to think a gun shop person could remover the slide to me is akin to asking a car salesmen to service my care . They might could figure it out but sure not likely unless they own one them self and service it .
Funny thing.. I did use the YouTube videos to guide me in taking it apart!

Yes folks, I pack Glocks mainly, S&W J frame now and then to go to the store, Ruger GP100 3 inch .357 hiking, Glock 40 MOS 10mm for hunting... But when I go fly on airlines I intend to take the Bersa (legally of course, declared in the luggage.) If stolen I don't lose much but the gun is quite good and carry worthy!

·
Registered
275 Posts
I bought the Bersa 380CC new about 4 years ago. I have never had a jam of any kind using a variety of different ammunition. I love to shoot it, even though it is not my everyday carry. Went to YouTube to see how to dissemble and found it to be pretty easy.
I found the recoil to be fairly light due to the size of the gun. In fact, my daughter used it when taking her Carry License because she didn't like the recoil of my 9 mms.
For the price, I think it's an excellent gun.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts