Defensive Carry banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 77 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was in the locker room of my local gym a few weeks ago. Heard the unmistakeable sound of someone racking the slide and chambering a round a few rows of lockers away.
I finished dressing and left as quickly as possible. Didn't even see who it was and don't know if the person was still there or not when I left.

Taking one's weapon into the gym and keeping it concealed is one thing, but racking the slide and chambering a round in that setting IMHO is an ill advised action.
Just ponder the possibilities of what could have been going on - very innocent to ????. What if I had been a leo or an anti? You get the point.

Is it just me or am I way off base?

·
Registered
17 Posts
It'd definitely be a little disconcerting to me. Maybe he left it in his locker unloaded in case somehow someone got into it and was readying himself to go home? Dunno. Best to be aware of it though.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
OP I think you are overreacting....

·
Registered
Northwest Oregon
16,787 Posts
I would have asked the person what they were carrying and compared it to what I was carrying. I may have just found a new friend.

Reactions: NewtownSam

·
Registered
292 Posts
I agree with Pilgrim. I hate to leave my weapon anywhere, but there are a few places I cannot carry that provide storage. I always eject mag, an clear the weapon then use a trigger lock. When I regain my weapon I unlock, insert mag, chamber and top off mag. Then holster and put in my pocket.

Posted from the outer reaches of the universe via my Star Fleet communicator! Live long & prosper.

·
Banned
2,648 Posts
I see no problem and I would have given him the benefit of the doubt that he thought he was alone in the locker room.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I see no problem and I would have given him the benefit of the doubt that he thought he was alone in the locker room.
I agree, if I had to clear my gun to secure it, I would certainly chamber a round before holstering it. With that said, regardless of whether I thought I was alone or not, I would rack the slide quietly to avoid alarming anyone that may be uncomfortable with guns.

OP, I think you were over reacting and should have used that opportunity to make acquaintances with a fellow armed member of your gym.

·
Banned
1,181 Posts
I'm discreet with my carry piece at the gym, mostly because they forbid weapons and I'm not carrying it to provoke a response and jeapordize my membership. If I'm on the main floor the gun is concealed on my person, if I'm planning to use the pool I either secure it in a locker with my phones and wallet or bring a small duffel poolside. I don't think I would be too concerned if I heard someone rack a slide on a handgun but my awareness would momentarily peak. Now if I heard a shotgun being racked from the other side of the lockers I'd probably cry for mama.

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Wouldn't bother me. I'd assume he was preparing to leave and was making his gun ready prior to reholstering.

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I haven't seen any gym lockers that were all that stout I'd want to be very sure nobody knew it was in there. Loudly racking the slide would seem to be letting the cat out of the bag and inviting locker theft on your next visit.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Lighten up Francis....
Really, how do you know he's not an active shooter that's finally snapped today and racking a round and walking to the pool area with a duffle of magazines to shoot the 40 kids neatly contained in the pool area. Lighten up?? This board is filled with people walking around with guns on their sides just waiting for that unlikely event, and when they're presented with a scenario where they hear a round being racked in a place where there shouldn't be a round being racked, their reaction is it must be a fellow friend with a gun. Too funny. When I see a guy take a gun out at the mall and rack a round, I'll just give him a friendly wave and keep shopping and lighten up a bit. :) The only place a round should be racked is at your home, the range or in a pending danger. Personally, I'd inform the front desk some guy is in the locker room with a gun and has racked a round, I have no idea what his intentions are. I'll let him play 20 question with the two cops that show up. ...and I'm a friend to us gun carriers. Imagine if I wasn't. I'd be royally pissed.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
Really, how do you know he's not an active shooter that's finally snapped today and racking a round and walking to the pool area with a duffle of magazines to shoot the 40 kids neatly contained in the pool area. Lighten up?? This board is filled with people walking around with guns on their sides just waiting for that unlikely event, and when they're presented with a scenario where they hear a round being racked in a place where there shouldn't be a round being racked, their reaction is it must be a fellow friend with a gun. Too funny. When I see a guy take a gun out at the mall and rack a round, I'll just give him a friendly wave and keep shopping and lighten up a bit. :) The only place a round should be racked is at your home, the range or in a pending danger. Personally, I'd inform the front desk some guy is in the locker room with a gun and has racked a round, I have no idea what his intentions are. I'll let him play 20 question with the two cops that show up. ...and I'm a friend to us gun carriers. Imagine if I wasn't. I'd be royally pissed.
Then I am sure you have heard of the saying. "With friends like you who needs enemies"

·
Registered
4,193 Posts
I'm not seeing the problem with this. I think i would have been a bit more attentive, and maybe discreetly checked to make sure they weren't looking to do anyone any harm, then I would have went about what I was doing. However, I wasn't there....

·
Premium Member
7,794 Posts
The mall is a different setting. You change and store your clothes in the locker room while working out. I understand your point but please respond to the counter point - Where should the guy re-chamber after working out? After he gets to his car? What if his car is in a parking garage? After he leaves the gym?

I would be on alert, yes, I would take notice. But given the surroundings, I could understand why it happened - the guy carried to the gym, stored his gun unloaded, and was probably getting dressed and readying his weapon for carry.

I go to a cold range, which means I cannot take a loaded weapon into the service area. I must unload before I go in, and so I reload when I leave. When I stow by range bag in the trunk of my car, I reload my weapon and holster it. Out of context - OMG, I saw I guy loading up a gun in a parking lot!

I agree with you on one point - always take notice when someone you don't know is fiddlin' with a gun. That's basic SA. On the other hand, if what the guy is doing is legal, I would not be upset, unless what he is doing is inappropriate.

Reactions: Aceoky

·
Registered
190 Posts
Then I am sure you have heard of the saying. "With friends like you who needs enemies"
Sorry, but racking a round in a public place signals intent to most people. ...and maybe even a prosecutor. If you're a friend to the cause, you'd be against this behavior as well. Complacency about this kind behavior will lead to more legislation movements against us. Because trust me, most people are not comfortable around guns that don't use them. If this stuff happens more and more around non gun people which are the majority, there won't be anymore carry period.

·
Registered
11,153 Posts
Sorry, but racking a round in a public place signals intent to most people. ...and maybe even a prosecutor. If you're a friend to the cause, you'd be against this behavior as well. Complacency about this kind behavior will lead to more legislation movements against us. Because trust me, most people are not comfortable around guns that don't use them. If this stuff happens more and more around non gun people which are the majority, there won't be anymore carry period.
Well thank god he was not in a public place. I would rather have him do what he did, than shoot himself loading it in the car, or god forbid not loading it at all and needing it. As far as helping the cause, I do my part....

·
Registered
4,193 Posts

I used to think this way too, then I tried open carry. The only people who give me a hard time (minus the one jerky LEO) are people on gun forums. No one notices, and those who do could care less.... The public is nowhere near as anti-gun as we think.

Reactions: lokalmotive
1 - 20 of 77 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.