Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After seeing a couple of threads around here by some folks that have made their own version of the Supertuck holster. I started looking around at the office and found that we actually have the Kydex material in our shop. I had some left over leather and saw the thread from Luvmy40 TYVM sir BTW and decided to try my hand at one. I ordered the Jhook and the Velcro hooks and came up with the GottaBe-a-tuck:rofl: JK, anyway, here's a pic of it and I gotta say it works pretty darn good for the price of the J & V clips. We were out of the Black Kydex so I have a green on tan holster, it's better than pink on tan I guess.:hand10:

GBK

GottaBsVersion.jpg

·
Registered
315 Posts
Looks good!:hand10:

Now that we know they are pretty simple to make maybe....ahem.. a price break on the original? I guess it was worth a shot. lol

And yea... can I put my order in for one now??

·
Registered
1,518 Posts
Good job!

·
Super Moderator
50,611 Posts
Pretty good, you might want to heat it up some and 'bone' it a little more for retention...only you can tell.
Certainly much better than I could do.:hand10:

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'll do another one maybe this week end and try to refine it a little more. You have to get that stuff pretty hot that's for sure. It cools down pretty fast but it's manageable. I agree a little more retention is in order. It's pretty good now, the pic really didn't do it justice, but I think I just need to let it heat up a little more. The wife would have a fit if she knew I used her oven to heat the stuff up.:embarassed:

Thanks again.

GBK

·
Registered
3,194 Posts
Great job GBK but retsupt99 said what I was thinking about boning it some for retention.
Ever since I saw the first thread on members making their own holsters I've been wanting to do it but have been procrastinating about getting the stuff to do it with.:mad:
You made a very nice looking holster for your first attempt if I may say.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great job GBK but retsupt99 said what I was thinking about boning it some for retention.
Ever since I saw the first thread on members making their own holsters I've been wanting to do it but have been procrastinating about getting the stuff to do it with.:mad:
You made a very nice looking holster for your first attempt if I may say.
Thanks Rott,

I agree, you and retsup99 are right for sure. I have a plan to to address that issue in revv 2. :image035: Thanks again. :bier:

GBK

·
Super Moderator
50,611 Posts
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I'll do another one maybe this week end and try to refine it a little more. You have to get that stuff pretty hot that's for sure. It cools down pretty fast but it's manageable. I agree a little more retention is in order. It's pretty good now, the pic really didn't do it justice, but I think I just need to let it heat up a little more. The wife would have a fit if she knew I used her oven to heat the stuff up.:embarassed:

Thanks again.

GBK
I had to make a slight tightening on a kydex pocket holster. I set up the propane torch, held the holster way above the flame but close enough to quickly warm up the holster and molded it a bit around the gun...you just have to be careful, but it is very easy to do.

ret:hand10:

·
Registered
3,872 Posts
Very nice!

·
Registered
106 Posts
I am truly impressed!! I see a future in holsters for you. If your wife won't let you use the oven,come on down and use mine....we'll have a ball.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had to make a slight tightening on a kydex pocket holster. I set up the propane torch, held the holster way above the flame but close enough to quickly warm up the holster and molded it a bit around the gun...you just have to be careful, but it is very easy to do.

ret:hand10:
:hand10: We have a heat gun at the office thats used for what ever reason in our shop. I'm thinking that would be a good alternative to starting over and should do what you're suggesting. I'll give it a try and if it works I'll post a new pic of the results.

Thanks for the idea! :bier:

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I am truly impressed!! I see a future in holsters for you. If your wife won't let you use the oven,come on down and use mine....we'll have a ball.
Thank you very much for the kind words, but the leather crafters/holster makers jobs are safe from me. Leather craft really is more difficult than it looks. I would probably say that having the proper tools is a big factor as it is in just about any speciality trade or service.

Thanks again.:bier:

GBK

·
Registered
59 Posts
Very nice looking holster and I like the contrast of the green kydex. It is different then the normal black and for an IWB it doesn't matter what color it is... :hand10:

We have a heat gun at the office thats used for what ever reason in our shop. I'm thinking that would be a good alternative to starting over and should do what you're suggesting.
You can also look at a toaster oven for this job. I'm sure one can be had for under $20 and the wife doesn't have to worry about the oven. Plus you can set it up where ever you want, to work on the holster.

James

·
Registered
746 Posts
Looks very nice. Doesn't all of that extra leather that goes out past the barrel and around the clips make things sweaty? I would think trimming out all of the excess would improove things.

Good work !

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks very nice. Doesn't all of that extra leather that goes out past the barrel and around the clips make things sweaty? I would think trimming out all of the excess would improove things.

Good work !
:hand10: Good point! You may be right. I just patterned it after a picture that I saw from here and haven't really tried to use it yet. I can see where I can trim here and there and refine it a little. After I add some of the mods the others have mentioned, I'll post another pic and see whatcha think.

GBK

·
Registered
4,465 Posts
I like it, I do I do!!!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts