Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 120 Posts

·
Registered
8,626 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This may have run previously since this happened back in September, but this morning was the first I have run across this. (The part in bold is my emphasis.)

Gov. Signs Law Ending Death Penalty For Killing Cops Unless It's Premeditated

Salem, OR — The world’s largest organization of sworn law enforcement officers is urging Oregon’s governor to call a special session of the State Legislature over a law change that narrows the instances in which cop killers will face potential death sentences.

Oregon Governor Katherine Brown signed off on Senate Bill 1013 earlier in September.

The new law “redefined and narrowed” the offense of aggravated murder “with respect to the application of the death penalty” by adding the requirement of premeditation, National Fraternal Order of Police (FOP) President Patrick Yoes said in a letter to Brown on Sept. 4.

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmatter/news/gov-signs-law-ending-death-penalty-for-killing-cops-unless-it-s-premeditated-XVjYkoMNFUOR8M7MHwj2rw/?fbclid=IwAR39yewJElhV1cC3J3R1Nv4_KyPR0t9pHNIOkJ1zI26YA0DOYhcu63ngnO8

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I don't think there should be any more of a penalty for killing a cop as there should be for killing a random person on the street. Cops aren't special, veterans aren't special, and so forth.

·
Premium Member
3,835 Posts
I don't think there should be any more of a penalty for killing a cop as there should be for killing a random person on the street. Cops aren't special, veterans aren't special, and so forth.
Cops are our first line of defense against evil that preys on citizens.
Yes, all life is special but cops need to know that we have their backs.
Death penalty for cop killers is one way.
In a perfect world, death penalty for all killers.
Forgive me, but I do believe that our cops and veterans are special.
They did/do the jobs that most people do not want to do

·
Premium Member
2,298 Posts
:essen14:

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Cops are our first line of defense against evil that preys on citizens.
Yes, all life is special but cops need to know that we have their backs.
Death penalty for cop killers is one way.
In a perfect world, death penalty for all killers.
Forgive me, but I do believe that our cops and veterans are special.
They did/do the jobs that most people do not want to do
I'm a veteran and I don't think I'm special. I appreciate that others might but I do not.

Point is...the death penalty should exist for all, not special categories. And to be clear, cops are generally not proactive...by design they are generally reactive.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I disagree for a variety of reasons.
1. Law enforcement are already given a lot of leeway in applying their authority. They should get respect, but not special treatment, in life or in death. For example, LEOSA and its state equivalents should be repealed immediately.

2. I agree about the death penalty in principle but not in practice. Many innocent people have been railroaded through the justice system. Furthermore, law enforcement and court officials have a case-proven carte blanche to lie, cheat, withhold exculpatory evidence, all without any fear of consequences. The government should not be able to execute a perpetrator who's no longer a threat for the same reason you and I cannot.

·
Premium Member
1,414 Posts

I completely disagree. We hire police officers to risk their lives to protect us. Society does not pay police officers the value of their life. There needs to be a clear message that killing a police officer will have serious consequences.

What this governor has done is contribute to the attacks on police officers because she has reduced the consequences.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
We hire police officers to risk their lives to protect us.
Then why carry?

There needs to be a clear message that killing a police officer will have serious consequences.
There needs to be a clear message that murdering anyone will have serious consequences. Rather than focus on special classes of persons, government should ensure all murderers are eligible for the same serious consequences.

What this governor has done is contribute to the attacks on police officers because she has reduced the consequences.
What empirical data do you have to support this?

·
Registered
2,871 Posts
While we're at it, get rid of the "hate crimes" category of laws.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
if the penalty for killing politicians was worse than any other murder who would still support having different standards for different classes of people?

·
Registered
34,547 Posts
I'm special . . . Just ask me.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I completely disagree. We hire police officers to risk their lives to protect us. Society does not pay police officers the value of their life. There needs to be a clear message that killing a police officer will have serious consequences.
But killing other people shouldn't?????

·
Registered
316 Posts
Lets get back to how crazy my governor is. We tried to recall her last month. And we had the signatures, but came up short by 37000 when she nullified 100,000 signatures as illegiblel. How many of you have a legible signature?

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Lets get back to how crazy my bit*h governor is. We tried to recall her last month. And we had the signatures, but came up short by 37000 when she nullified 100,000 signatures as illegiblel. How many of you have a legible signature?
That should have been immediately litigated...if it was not...

·
Registered
910 Posts
The best reasons for a special penalty for killing a cop:
1. Even in the heat of the moment, the killer had to know that he/she was killing someone who possessed the power and the right to prevent and arrest, and who, presumably, had told the killer to stop what he/she was doing and to submit to the law. In a round-about way, this indicates premeditation.
2. Every cop is armed, and most are protected by defensive clothing. If a person is willing to kill an armed and prepared cop, what would that person be willing to do to someone who was unarmed and unprepared? The act of killing a cop bespeaks of a special and severe danger to all of society.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
The act of killing a cop bespeaks of a special and severe danger to all of society.

The act of killing anyone bespeaks of a special and severe danger to all of society.

What gets me is this....Cops, statistically speaking in several states, commit crimes at a higher percentage rate than licensed firearms carriers.

Cops deserve no more protection of the laws than the rest of society. Cops similarly deserve no more special privileges than the rest of society.

1 - 20 of 120 Posts