Defensive Carry banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I realize that a gun should always be in its holster. But just say your gun is out of the holster, lying on a surface. How fast can you safely grab it up, using only one hand, into a shooting grip and have it accurately pointed, ready to pull the trigger? Pretty shocking how SLOW some guns are. I'm changing a lot of grips since I did this test.

B17

·
Premium Member
7,579 Posts
Like anything else, practice increases speed.

Practice, practice, practice.

·
Banned
13,685 Posts
I tend to get faster knowing the timer's running. IPSC

·
Registered
213 Posts
Try some IDPA shooting events. We practice this scenario multiple times per year... and yes the timer does make you a wee bit faster. :wink:

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Where is the balance thread?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For me, the gun that grabs up really fast one-handed is the older Glock 19 with no finger grooves. I have the rubber stick-on panels on the sides of the grip, and 15 rounds in the gun. With two shakes, the backstrap drops right down into a shooting grip. Same with shifting hands. No other gun in my collection even comes close to this G19, in a one-hand grab. The differences are amazing.

B17

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I'ld say there weren't any good shows on TV, and you were getting really bored. LOL.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts
I don't really grab anything fast anymore, but I do practice grabbing accurately...:blink:...and even on the table, my gun is always in its holster.:yup:

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I agree. But in the course of an encounter, you might have to lay your gun down on a surface, then grab it up to shoot one-handed. Maybe on the seat of the car. Or you fumble the draw, or switch hands -- whatever.

I wondered how fast I could get a gun into shooting grip and accurate point, one-handed. I tried it with all my guns and found most to be absurdly awkward. But the old-model G19 snaps right into place. So does an older 1911 with a no-bump grip safety. (The genius of Mr. Glock and Mr. Browning at work?)

B17

1 - 12 of 12 Posts