Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like my 9mm pistols/caliber and plan to stick with them. I would like to graduate to a larger caliber and taking a long, hard look at .45 ACP and .357 Magnum. Thoughts and insight are welcome.

·
Banned
480 Posts
I like my 9mm pistols/caliber and plan to stick with them. I would like to graduate to a larger caliber and taking a long, hard look at .45 ACP and .357 Magnum. Thoughts and insight are welcome.
GET BOTH OF THEM. :hand10: :image035:

·
Banned
13,684 Posts
What's wrong with the 40S&W? Are you talking .357mag, or 357sig?

·
Super Moderator
50,603 Posts
Stay armed...with anything that starts with a "4" and ends with a "5"...stay safe!:comeandgetsome::yup:

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
Well, I guess it would depend on if you want to go to a revolver or auto; if an auto, unless you want to get a Desert Eagle (and a few others that are quite rare), there really aren't any .357 magnum autos; definitely get the .45.

If you want a revolver, they do make them in both .45 and .357 flavors...so it could be a harder choice. I'd still probably stick with .45, though; ammo is cheaper.

Either round is a solid performer, and I'd feel well armed with either.

·
Registered
1,954 Posts
Bigger than a 9mm, I haven't met a caliber I didn't like:image035:

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Stay armed...with anything that starts with a "4" and ends with a "5"...stay safe!:comeandgetsome::yup:
Wait what about those that end with a 4 too. .44, .454, heck dont forget the .460.

·
Banned
4 Posts
9mm / 45ACP

"He was throwing stones and would not stop. Under the circumstances I could do nothing but shoot him in the shoulder with my .45 ACP pistol loaded with Lawman ammunition which is topped with a 200grain JHP bullet. I excpected him to be knocked over by the bullet. He did not even twitch, but dropped the stone he was about to throw only to pick up a solid rock. He advanced with the rock held over his head with the obvious intent to flatten my head. I fired two more rounds into his chest and he kept coming, showing no signs of distress. My nervous system was by then in a state of collapse and I flinched with the next shot, hitting him relatively low, thus striking the hip joint. This apparently hurt him. He sat down and suffered in silence for a while, then stood up and walked off. After walking a few meters, he got angry again, turned around and came for me once more. I did not shoot again, but he collapsed a few meters from me. I cannot believe in the <stopping power< of heavy, large bullets anymore. We checked the wounds and found that two bullets pentrated clean and the other two were only partially deformed were bone was hit. No mushrooming at all. Unfortunately, I cannot afford another weapon right now, but I reduce the weight of my .45 bullets to about 90grains now and get about 1700ft/s out of it. I hope that with this load I will have more effect if I should need to use the pistol again."

·
Super Moderator
22,221 Posts
How is this 9mm/45?

·
Registered
749 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
:blink::ticking: What was Ongolo posting in response to? I felt like I walked in on the middle of a conversation.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
"He was throwing stones and would not stop. Under the circumstances I could do nothing but shoot him in the shoulder with my .45 ACP pistol loaded with Lawman ammunition which is topped with a 200grain JHP bullet. I excpected him to be knocked over by the bullet. He did not even twitch, but dropped the stone he was about to throw only to pick up a solid rock. He advanced with the rock held over his head with the obvious intent to flatten my head. I fired two more rounds into his chest and he kept coming, showing no signs of distress. My nervous system was by then in a state of collapse and I flinched with the next shot, hitting him relatively low, thus striking the hip joint. This apparently hurt him. He sat down and suffered in silence for a while, then stood up and walked off. After walking a few meters, he got angry again, turned around and came for me once more. I did not shoot again, but he collapsed a few meters from me. I cannot believe in the <stopping power< of heavy, large bullets anymore. We checked the wounds and found that two bullets pentrated clean and the other two were only partially deformed were bone was hit. No mushrooming at all. Unfortunately, I cannot afford another weapon right now, but I reduce the weight of my .45 bullets to about 90grains now and get about 1700ft/s out of it. I hope that with this load I will have more effect if I should need to use the pistol again."

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
everyone needs a good .357 revolver in their collection.....

·
Registered
2,416 Posts
Lesson of the day. Use a quality defensive round. 200gr Gold Dot (lawman is the Speer FMJ brand btw) is known to be garbage in comparison to other options.

·
Registered
574 Posts
PLACEMENT PLACEMENT PLACEMENT!!!
I'd rather face an inept marksman with a 45 than an expert with a 22.
Make your training as real world as you can possibly imagine including; low light, movement, cover, concealment, reloading and firing from sitting, prone, and supine positions. Gunfighting is a Martial Art, the gun is no better than the survival ability of the person holding it.
BTW I was a really big devotee of the 357 until I learned what the muzzel flash and concussion of one felt like inside an automobile.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
PLACEMENT PLACEMENT PLACEMENT!!!
BTW I was a really big devotee of the 357 until I learned what the muzzel flash and concussion of one felt like inside an automobile.
Gets your attention don't it :danceban: You might also want to try it in a small room at night. :ahhhhh:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts