Defensive Carry banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so it's not a real HK, but these AP5s are all built on HK licensed tooling and these guns built my MKE in Turkey have been in service for ages with both military and law enforcement agencies across the world. That being said, the build quality looks great. Welds look good, finish is good, everything fits together right. Haven't shot it yet, but I don't see any reason why it wont be reliable.

Right now its just a base pistol with iron sights. It has a 3 lug mount, so my Silencerco Omega 9k will be living on it. Plan on getting a clamp on sight rail to mount a red dot likely a Holosun or eventually removing the Aimpoint off one of my ARs and upgrading that to a LPVO. Will also upgrade the handguard to either the Midwest Industries Mlok handguard or the Magpul handguard so I can mount a light on it.

Once I put a couple hundred rounds through it and make sure it works, I'll be filing my form 1 and looking for a stock to put on it. Lots of options, but some of them get insanely expensive. A telescoping A3 style stock, a used german HK one can be $1,500 or more. No thanks. Even a "good" deal on one of the Zenith or MKE A3 stocks are around $450. The B&T telescoping stock is probably the coolest looking IMO, but those are around $450. Since I plan on using this as a travel gun, I definitely want something that will fold or telescope in. The folding B&T stocks are cheaper in the $250 range, as well are the Choate stocks. When Magpul releases their SL stock, it will be similar to the A3 stocks for around $150 and have a place to mount a QD socket. Whatever I get, I will also probably end up going for a fixed stock as well, as I want to shoot some PCC matches with this gun and I'm sure the fixed stock will be the nicest to shoot.

They say to break it in with 124gr NATO ammo. I have some factory basic 124gr brass ammo, just commercial stuff not the specific NATO ammo, but will also try some steel case ammo, as well as some reloads I made. Being that this will be a suppressor host, I want to shoot heavy bullets. Bought some projectiles from Black Bullets Intl and Blue Bullets. The BBIs are 147gr RNFP bullets, and the Blues are 147gr RN and 160gr RN. Really excited to try out the 160gr bullets, as they have a rather small charge of CFE Pistol. If they work out well and are a bit quieter than the 147gr bullets, I'll probably stick with the 160s. The bullets are only marginally more expensive, and have a much lighter charge, so without doing the math, they might actually be cheaper to load than the 147gr, 124gr, or 115gr. On top of that, its a regular round nose bullet and a standard magazine length, so nothing funky.

I've always wanted a MP5 and with the lower cost of the MKE guns, I finally made it happen. Waiting out this hurricane, and then hopefully in the next couple of weeks I can get it to the range and put some rounds down range.

Registered
Did you get the CORE line or the full set up ?

I ask as the full line has a great flash hider and comes with a decent pic rail scope mount ..

And you saw they may or may not be doing a whole f

Registered
Good grab! Especially if you got it at a good price; I know I looked at some of the pakistani made MP5 clones as well as a couple of other offerings, same story guns produced on HK-licensed tooling but I wasn't willing to shell out almost 2k for any of those offerings, and of course the real deal HK weapons are up in the 3k range nowadays.

I settled for forking out $650 on a Stribog and never looked back. It is reliable, stupidly accurate and easy to shoot and is one of my backpack guns that ride in the truck with me from time to time.

Reactions: matthew03

Registered
They make good Turkey guns.

• Wow
Reactions: Pete63

Registered
They say to break it in with 124gr NATO ammo. I have some factory basic 124gr brass ammo, just commercial stuff not the specific NATO ammo, but will also try some steel case ammo, as well as some reloads I made. Being that this will be a suppressor host, I want to shoot heavy bullets. Bought some projectiles from Black Bullets Intl and Blue Bullets. The BBIs are 147gr RNFP bullets, and the Blues are 147gr RN and 160gr RN. Really excited to try out the 160gr bullets, as they have a rather small charge of CFE Pistol. If they work out well and are a bit quieter than the 147gr bullets, I'll probably stick with the 160s. The bullets are only marginally more expensive, and have a much lighter charge, so without doing the math, they might actually be cheaper to load than the 147gr, 124gr, or 115gr. On top of that, its a regular round nose bullet and a standard magazine length, so nothing funky.
Nice! great purchase.
I have both a regular and a K size from MKE. Fantastic guns. I too run them with Omega 9Ks. Makes them the quietest centerfire guns I own.
I concur the break in period works best with the spiciest 9mm you can find for the first couple hundred rounds. After that they run anything. I also found the MKE mags were the weak point. Had perfect results with HK and KCI (both US or Korean made ones). Never had an issue running flat nose bullets.

I have an old SB tactical brace I used before I went SBR with an A2 stock.
Its ugly, but let me know if you want it.
Sleeve Vehicle Tints and shades Trigger Missile

I have some experience with the stocks you're thinking about.

The B&T folding stock is the best middle ground for shooting and stowing.
Air gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

The telescoping stock is sleek, but rails make for a lousy cheek weld.
Air gun Revolver Trigger Gun barrel Wood

The traditional A2 stock may be large, but is my favorite when I'm shooting, and I love the 80s SWAT feeling I get with it.
Auto part Bicycle part Composite material Metal Nickel

Premium Member
Cool score! :cool: Thought about one, off & on, but the price was "just a little over what I had in mind spending" for "a 9mm PDW". I got a PSA AK-V, & have been pleased with it.

Reactions: Pocketgunner

Premium Member
It was always the case for me as well, but the base AP5 is only like $1050, iirc.
Don't know what final "drive out" was for you, but that's about what I paid for my AK-V, making your purchase pretty much in line with mine. I did get a few "standard extra's", with the model I bought. Front pic rail, so I get a solid mount for my RDS. And a Geissele trigger. Arm brace, in leu of a stock.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't know what final "drive out" was for you, but that's about what I paid for my AK-V, making your purchase pretty much in line with mine. I did get a few "standard extra's", with the model I bought. Front pic rail, so I get a solid mount for my RDS. And a Geissele trigger. Arm brace, in leu of a stock.
I had a similar though process. Had a Scorpion for a few years. Good gun, 100% reliable, just have always wanted an MP5 and knew the Scorpion was a budget alternative. But when I looked at it, the Scorpion was like $850, new handguard/grip was about $200, shortened K config tri lug barrel was $150, etc. By the time I made some changes to get it how I wanted, I was in MP5 territory, and figured what the heck. Sold my Scorpion and bought a MP5 with the money.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts