Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 13 yr old granddaughter has been pushing me alot more to move to shooting semi-autos (10/22) and a semi-auto pistol. I asked why, just to see what she said. Her answer, well.... if someone came into the house and were going to attack me, I want to be able to shoot more than once if I need to in order to stop them.

Did I ever say, I love that girl .... she does not have a victim mentality.

Before she ever shot, an example of her mentality ; A 5th grade boy, known by all to be the top bully of the school, picked on one her friends when she was in 2nd grade. She is a petite girl and he was 2 1/2 times her size.

I got stopped by the teacher when I picked her up from school that day , saying "we need to talk". Then the teacher proceeds to tell me (while laughing) that "we are just not sure what to do " . ..... then goes on to tell me that my granddaughter was so ticked by this guy pushing her friend around and bullying her, that she went over and gave him a talking to, threatened to beat his tail-end, and the 5th grade bully was so scared , he went to the teachers and wanted protection. The teacher said, this boy is totally afraid of her now.

The teacher could not quit laughing. You have to understand the "size difference" between these two. They decided to punish the bully for the bullying, and to warn my granddaughter to not pick on him anymore.

My real point, they learn NOT to be a victim at an early age, dont' wait to teach them. Secondly, self-defense rarely has anything to do with size, and everything to do with attitude.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Love that story. Good for granddaughter. Good for the teachers.:congrats:
oldogy

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Sounds like the school's staff have good heads on their shoulders. Had that been here your granddaughter probably would have been suspended and the bully would have been given in-school detention.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Your granddaughter is awesome! Clearly, she has parents who are raising her right...obviously because THEIR parents did the same! WTG on your entire family!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Congratulations...that is great to hear. You definitely have a winner there sir!

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
"My real point, they learn NOT to be a victim at an early age, dont' wait to teach them. Secondly, self-defense rarely has anything to do with size, and everything to do with attitude"

isn't that the truth....!

·
Registered
726 Posts
I would love to have been a fly on the wall when she braced the bully. Good for her and good for you as a role model.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
... pushing me to move to shooting semi-autos (10/22) and a semi-auto pistol. I asked why ...

well.... if someone came into the house and were going to attack me, I want to be able to shoot more than once if I need to in order to stop them.
It's that simple. Good to see, in a kid. She's obviously using that big lump on her shoulders. Kudos!

Attitude and mindset. Obviously her experience with the schoolyard bully showed how powerful it can be. It often won't be sufficient, but it is a critical element.

Had a similar experience myself, in 6th grade and then again in 7th. Wouldn't stand for a friend being pounded, so I compelled the attacker to go elsewhere. And in the 7th grade I wouldn't stand for a friend to attack me, so I turned his aggressions back on him and showed him what the meaning of defending against attack really meant. In neither case did either bully come anywhere near me or anyone else the remainder of those years.

My real point, they learn NOT to be a victim at an early age, dont' wait to teach them.
Most DO indeed learn from their environment, and learn it too well. Just listen to the humming of the message all around us, spread daily by the media and "entertainment" messages in the culture. Everyone and everything around promotes one basic message: to be a victim, think like a victim, to NOT lift a finger if threatened since this will only aggravate the situation, and to not even think of defending since fighting is baaaaaad.

Reality is, failure to defend gets you hurt in the short run, and it simply spurns the attacker to worse things later. It most certainly does not help the victim not be one.

Which begs the simple question: what's the goal, here? Is it to avoid being a victim, or not? If so, then there really are precious few steps to take. But they must be taken, else you're not going to have much chance.

Secondly, self-defense rarely has anything to do with size, and everything to do with attitude.
Yup.

Mindset can play a large part in one's ability to withstand attack and turn it on the attacker.

·
Registered
10,864 Posts
Good for her!

And good for you too!

Looks like you brought yours up to bring their up right!:bier:

What he said^^^^^^^

In this day and age this is all you can hope for.

I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on Earth.--Steve McQueen

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Your Granddaughter has a great attitude and you should be very proud of her.

Now, get her shooting semi autos and train her up!

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I probably should have mentioned, she and my grandson have lived with me ... 10 of her 13 yrs.

So, thanks.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Awesome job Eagleks!
Give her a pat on the back from all of us!

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Good for her. That's the way it should be in my view. I'm still working on my daughter to not make my Granddaughter a victim or that type of mentallity.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts