Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Many people, it seems, stock up on firearms and magazines and ammunition and other accessories (silencers, spare parts, uppers, lowers, barrels, so on) under the assumption that if restrictions or bans are put into place that their purchases will be grandfathered in. But if I'm reading the latest California legislation correctly, there is no grandfather clause nor apparently any fair compensation for banned property that must be surrendered. It seems as if one would have to personally become a test case in order to fight the laws.

Thoughts on this? It would seem that reliance upon a grandfather clause protection is not reliable. Food for thought.

·
Registered
5,228 Posts
That's how I read it...... turn 'em in, NOW or they'll send Senator Dianne Feinstein to come hawl yo butts to jail ! Just ask the Senator, she'll tell ya.

·
Premium Member
369 Posts
I do not or will never under my own volition live or reside in California-but just reading about these new laws just really raises my blood pressure a couple of points.It is getting to the point that I can't even read the news without staring down a new stroke.I think pens and pencils need to be banned and turned in-just so these idiots in charge can not write any more rights restricting laws.It is no longer we the people but us the politicians because they surely do not represent my feelings or wants.I just wonder how many citizens realize that everyone's rights are in the same basket,once we lose some they come for the others.

·
Super Moderator
18,098 Posts
ex post facto

adj. Latin for "after the fact," which refers to laws adopted after an act is committed making it illegal although it was legal when done, or increases the penalty for a crime after it is committed. Such laws are specifically prohibited by the U. S. Constitution, Article I, Section 9. Therefore, if a state legislature or Congress enact new rules of proof or longer sentences, those new rules or sentences do not apply to crimes committed before the new law was adopted.

Copyright © 1981-2005 by Gerald N. Hill and Kathleen T. Hill. All Right reserved.

Looks to me like the ignorant fools that run the state dont have a clue.

You cant make a law retroactive. It is illegal thus null. Of course, the people in California dont know that because all they learn in school is diversity and how to milk the system.

·
Registered
6,222 Posts
Post Facto, or De Facto laws are illegal. Making something illegal after it has already happened is what they are attempting to do here. I have owned a Browning High Power since about 1980. In 2000 they created magazine limits, but Grandfathered pre owned guns. Now they want me to turn over any guns or magazines that don't qualify under the new 2017 rules! They want all ARs registered as Assault Weapons [AW]. Once you register then they can not be transferred, loaned, rented or even passed on to your family if you pass! You can only shoot them at ranges that will accept AW's. State owned forest land will not accept them or allow you to hunt with them. So far they only want me to turn in my valuable Mags, or face arrest. They are making no offer to pay me for these mags. So they are taking property without just compensation. This is all taking effect just as I am making my exit from this state. DR

·
Banned
854 Posts
The border we need to focus on closing is the border of every state surrounding California. CA is indeed a lost cause and it's time to redouble efforts to keep their disease from spreading.

Reactions: Bubblehead751

·
Banned
854 Posts
Some of us Californians are fighting as hard as we can.
Thanks for the support.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Fighting as hard as you can or as hard as you want makes no difference when you have a liberal super majority in the state legislature, a liberal governor (and one guaranteed to follow on his heels), and a registration disadvantage of 70-30%.

It no longer matters how hard you fight. Californians missed the boat 20 years ago when they sat on their hands and continued to let liberals beat them at the polls. California let too much slide, thinking such electoral degradation couldn't and wouldn't happen. Now that it has, and people have all the sudden awakened, it's too late.

The best support of the 2nd Amendment you can do is to leave the state and take your taxes with you. Or, get yourself elected governor and turn the ship around.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Fighting as hard as you can or as hard as you want makes no difference when you have a liberal super majority in the state legislature, a liberal governor (and one guaranteed to follow on his heels), and a registration disadvantage of 70-30%.

It no longer matters how hard you fight. Californians missed the boat 20 years ago when they sat on their hands and continued to let liberals beat them at the polls. California let too much slide, thinking such electoral degradation couldn't and wouldn't happen. Now that it has, and people have all the sudden awakened, it's too late.

The best support of the 2nd Amendment you can do is to leave the state and take your taxes with you. Or, get yourself elected governor and turn the ship around.
So I should to the American thing and run away.
Thanks for the support.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
ex post facto

adj. Latin for "after the fact," which refers to laws adopted after an act is committed making it illegal although it was legal when done, or increases the penalty for a crime after it is committed. Such laws are specifically prohibited by the U. S. Constitution, Article I, Section 9. Therefore, if a state legislature or Congress enact new rules of proof or longer sentences, those new rules or sentences do not apply to crimes committed before the new law was adopted.

Unfortunately they can. One is not being punished for committing a previously legal act which subsequently was declared illegal. That is indeed an ex post facto situation and not permitted. In California, you have an item, a thing, that is effectively being declared contraband. This is permissible. Examples abound in cases of certain drugs, private ownership of machine guns, even prohibition before repeal. And no, the State is not required to pay compensation for seizing contraband.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
Fighting as hard as you can or as hard as you want makes no difference

It no longer matters how hard you fight.

I'm on my phone so I can't just highlight for emphasis.
Fighting (for my rights) no longer makes a difference?
How hard you fight makes no difference?
Leave the State (run away) is the answer?
You're right. I read you words wrong.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
California is a haven for illegal aliens and criminals. Soon most major cities will follow.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
I don't see any grandfather clauses in the new Ca. garbage.

As far as I'm concerned Ca. is a lost cause. Now it's just a matter of how quickly their disease spreads.
There are none, and no time frame is mentioned .... it's immediate.

·
Banned
854 Posts
I'm on my phone so I can't just highlight for emphasis.
Fighting (for my rights) no longer makes a difference?
How hard you fight makes no difference?
Leave the State (run away) is the answer?
You're right. I read you words wrong.

An idealized or fantasized argument doesn't matter to me. California is what it is- a depraved, ignorant, back-sliding state filled with a lot of really good people. Good people who on the whole either don't know, don't care, or choose not to stand up when it matters. And it's also filled with anti-constitutionalist liberals who do stand up, and show up. It's not for a lack of money for the important issues- there are billionaires who give lots of money to traditionally conservative political causes in California. There's simply no real leadership in California on the 2nd Amendment, and there are plenty of high profile anti-2nd Amendment leaders running roughshod over your rights. The NRA pumps a lot of time and money into California but there are too few leaders on the ground and too few voters at the polls for it to make a difference. California is the bane of the free states and the sensible course of action is to strengthen and defend the free states, to make sure the anti-natural rights disease from California doesn't infect the rest of the country anymore than it already has.

Having been involved in the trenches in California politics, I know how the "Golden state" game is played. And ultimately, it's not the politicians or the political parties, it's not the media or the big evil corporations or whatever other interest groups self-enslaved victims love to cite for their marginalized situation. The responsibility for the "state" California is in rests squarely with the sheeple, the pathetic electorate that barely manages 18% turnout of eligible voters come election day. So while low turnout is a problem nationwide, nobody comes close to the electoral cowardly incompetence of California- a state with 55 Electoral College votes which represents a full 20% of the total EC vote needed to elect a president. One state- 20%. And we've entrusted that responsibility to 18% of the eligible voters in that state? Shame on us.

The strength of the 2nd Amendment is not a top-down proposition and it never has been. It must be vigilantly defended locally, from the ground up. Towns need to elect 2nd Amendment council people. Counties need to do the same. And of course, districts must stop sending anti-gunners to Sacramento and Washington. Neat idea, 20 years ago. That horse however has left the California barn, and she ain't coming back as long as there are elected officials who will keep feeding her free grass on your dime.

The Gadsden flag is a snake for a reason- step on any part of the snake and the whole snake fights back. The California part of the snake now treads on the rest of the snake, because the people got lazy, let themselves get outnumbered, and capitulated. Plain and simple. So forgive me for not falling for the fantasy "Some of us are fighting hard" song and dance. The proof is in the elected (and appointed) pudding.

·
Super Moderator
18,098 Posts
In California, you have an item, a thing, that is effectively being declared contraband. This is permissible. Examples abound in cases of certain drugs, private ownership of machine guns, even prohibition before repeal. And no, the State is not required to pay compensation for seizing contraband.
Negative.

You cant just up and declare something contraband just because you dont like it.

Private ownership of guns is not illegal. Its only illegal in California because they chose to make it so.

Of course, they will get away with whatever they want, because one, the legal system there is run by fruitcakes and two, apparently those that care are in the minority and three, most of the crap that California does pertaining to gun ownership is unconstitutional. They might as well be a different country.

Do you have any idea how California looks to the rest of the country? Other than Illinois that is.

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
You're right, all Californians are the same.
You know what would solve Californias problem?
Instead of people running away from the problems, an influx of pro-2a conservatives to overwhelm and outnumber the liberals. Bring the fight to the enemy.
That's what they're doing. They ruin someplace nice. Conservatives move away. Libs follow.
I am a conservative and I see the inherent weakness of conservatives. We wan t to live our lives in peace. I do my thing, you do your thing, as long as you don't bother me.
Liberals know how everyone should live and keep pushing and pushing until conservatives leave. Then they follow.
So you sir in your haven. Haven for now. The libs are coming for you. Or your kids. Let someone else fight the fight.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts