Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a Galco holster from E-Bay. It is a great belt holster and it conceals like a dream, but it smells. I can't get rid of the smell. The smell completely permeates the air.
It smells like leather dye, I think. I have aired it out for several days; I have used saddle soap on it; I'm not sure what to do next. I am guessing that the original owner re-dyed this holster. Is there anyone who knows how to eliminate odor from this holster? I know E-Bay products can be a gamble sometimes, but if I can get rid of the smell on this holster, I have a great Galco rig and the gamble paid off. As of right now, it is concealable only if you can't smell!

·
Registered
6,074 Posts
Try stuffing a couple of dryer sheets inside and put it in a paper grocery sack for a few days. I use dryer sheets in my tackle boxes to keep the funky smell away. Good luck!

Reactions: OD* and StormRhydr

·
Registered
290 Posts
I bought an old SKS cotton sling that stank real bad. I put it in the freezer for a few days and that helped a bit. Not sure how that works with leather... YMMV...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Goldy, have had good luck with Febreze spray; it will wet the leather a bit. I bought a like-new lounge chair at a garage sale. A great deal, but it reeked of tobacco skank. A half-dozen Frebreze treatments completely eliminated the smell. Setting that holster out in the sun for a couple of days may also help.

PS: If you have to bring out the big guns, so to speak, try powdered volcanic rock (Zeolite.)

·
Administrator
143,595 Posts
Buy a couple of boxes of fresh Baking Soda and put your holster inside of a Zip-Lock and cover it inside and out with Baking Soda.

Looking on the bright side...if it is the dye or the finish....the smell will eventually go away as soon as whatever volatile solvents are no longer gassing off.

You might need to leave that holster covered in Baking Soda for a week or more. :yup:

Don't bake cookies with that Baking Soda after it absorbed all of that tinky holster smell.

Unless you're baking cookies for somebody that you don't like very much. :rofl:

·
Super Moderator
23,594 Posts
Ground Coffee also absorbs smells. Better than anything, better. Put it in a Zip-Lock with ground coffee for a week.

I know because of a used refrigerator I once bought. :puke: Coffee is what Flight Attendants use in the bath rooms while in flight.

Don't make coffee with those grounds afterwards.

·
Registered
939 Posts
+1 for the ground coffee treatment.
Another option would be to use the activated carbon for aquarium filters.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
Re dying finished leather good is not exactly easy, so not sure that is it. Buff it good with a cloth and see if any dye comes off. One of the signs of a poor dye job.

Is it black? Does it smell like vinegar?

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I would rather have one that smelled...than one that squeaks.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
898 Posts
Ground Coffee also absorbs smells. Better than anything, better. Put it in a Zip-Lock with ground coffee for a week.

I know because of a used refrigerator I once bought. :puke: Coffee is what Flight Attendants use in the bath rooms while in flight.

Don't make coffee with those grounds afterwards.

Good Idea also add some rice with the coffee

·
Registered
995 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Re dying finished leather good is not exactly easy, so not sure that is it. Buff it good with a cloth and see if any dye comes off. One of the signs of a poor dye job.

Is it black? Does it smell like vinegar?
I'm not sure it smells like vinegar - maybe a cross between vinegar and mothballs. I scrubbed it and no dye came off (black). Right now I have it a sealed bag of baking soda. I'll give it a few days to a week in baking soda. If it doesn't work, I'll try coffee. If that doesn't work, well, at least the holster doesn't squeak.

·
Premium Member
1,027 Posts
Just by wearing it it will go away pretty quickly. One of mine had the same prob, a few weeks later it was gone. Galco uses some pretty smelly dye by it holds up well....Carry on..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts