Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mrs OldChap and I watched "Ford v Ferrari" last night. I highly recommend it. It may be the best movie we've seen in some time. If you like great stories told around great cars, this is it.

Ford v Ferrari.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I wish i could afford a Ferrari. But my kids keep asking me about Bugatti's that are supposedly the fastest street car. I always get a kick out of some Colorado auto repair shops where they have a poster of a police lighted Ferrari and a Highway Patrol officer standing next to it with the caption "Welcome to Colorado". I suppose they have posters like that for every state. I would imagine that a lot of highway patrol officers would like to have a unit like that.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I don't watch TV...Everything is trash...Sports are trash...Commercials are trash...Reality shows are trash....All trash!.

( Just Kiddin...I could not survive without my TV ):smile:

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
I don't watch TV...Everything is trash...Sports are trash...Commercials are trash...Reality shows are trash....All trash!.

Can't go outdoors and get rid of cabin fever if.......

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Apparently this isn't available for streaming on Amazon Prime Video.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

We are in that camp! We started watching "Vikings" (made by The History Channel and 5 free seasons on Amazon). We kinda enjoyed it until we saw a Viking, circa 790 AD, wearing a pair of carefully camo-painted modern sneakers! I just couldn't believe it. You spend millions making a series, but can't afford to make period correct shoes?

Then again...they probably hired The Three Stooges to do wardrobe.

As far as car stories go, I wish someone would do a good movie about Jim Hall and the Chaparral series...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jim_Hall_(racing_driver)

Just a few pix:

1.jpg

2.jpg

Believe it or not...this is an Indy car. It utilized ground effects with snowmobile engines to suck air from underneath the rubber skirts around the chassis.

3.jpg

In action...

5.jpg

And a more conventional "tunnel" design...

4.jpg

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
Believe it or not...this is an Indy car. It utilized ground effects with snowmobile engines to suck air from underneath the rubber skirts around the chassis.
I believe the Chapparal "sucker cars" were actually part of the "Can-Am" series back then (started in the mid-60s), which was a sort of "unlimited" series where technology could just go wherever it went. Quite a "wild west" period in motorsports development during the early life of that series. Lots of tech development that went on to make it into other series. It died later due to being weighed down by RULES. If you are a motorsports enthusiast, it's worth doing a deep dive into the early history of the Can-Am series.

I also saw Ford vs. Ferrari and liked it as well. A good illustration of how innovation and experimentation in dangerous pastimes is connected with what would now be termed "toxic masculinity" by our current sick and depraved culture.

·
Super Moderator
16,101 Posts
I don’t do theaters or “streaming” so I’m waiting for the DVD to come out, several years ago someone brought a GT-40 to the car show during the Mt Olive Pickle Festival. A very interesting car to see up close and yes he got the best Ford trophy.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
@GraySkies You are right. I got the photos mixed up.
@msgt/ret I think they are going to offer Ford v Ferrari on DVD and BluRay both. I don't see any date listed on the BluRay.

·
Registered
33,886 Posts
The Chaparral was my favorite race car of that era, back when cheating was considered innovative. The other one I like, although not too successful, was the Cheetah.

download.jpg

Tricky to control and they never solved the cockpit overheating problem. The transmission connected directly to the rear end to keep the vehicle short, but that meant the driver basically sat on top of the engine, thus the heat issue.

·
Registered
3,268 Posts
The Chaparral was my favorite race car of that era, back when cheating was considered innovative. The other one I like, although not too successful, was the Cheetah.

View attachment 312392

Tricky to control and they never solved the cockpit overheating problem. The transmission connected directly to the rear end to keep the vehicle short, but that meant the driver basically sat on top of the engine, thus the heat issue.
Cockpit might have been too warm, but that Cheetah had the coolest looks.

·
Registered
6,703 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I remembered a phone call I got one day when I was (IIRC) 17 years old. A friend of mine had a sponsorship for his drag race car and had been pretty successful. The local Plymouth dealer sponsored him, but the Ford dealer was always trying to get him to race one of their cars. Anyway, he thought I might be interested because the Ford dealer had one (count 'em...ONE) 1965 Shelby Cobra and they wanted to sell it to someone who might race it. This was a 289 version (blue with a white stripe) and the Ford dealer told me I could have it for right around $6000. That might as well have been $1 million for a kid still in high school. :embarassed:

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
Awesomt film!

We saw it on the big screen and were very pleased.

I wish they would have elaborated how Peter Miles followed his dad into the racing and high-end car industry.

Reactions: OldChap

·
Registered
506 Posts
I plan on watching it. It's available on our cable, at the moment it's purchase only, for $22.95. I can wait a few more months for it to show up for on demand. When I was in high school, I bought a special edition magazine from Car Craft, that was all about Carroll Shelby, and his work with Ford, etc. This would have been in probably 1985 or so. Wish I still had that. On the bright side, I got to see these, up close and personal:
20190914_141103.jpg
20190914_141451.jpg

·
Registered
1,448 Posts
I plan on watching it. It's available on our cable, at the moment it's purchase only, for $22.95. I can wait a few more months for it to show up for on demand. When I was in high school, I bought a special edition magazine from Car Craft, that was all about Carroll Shelby, and his work with Ford, etc. This would have been in probably 1985 or so. Wish I still had that. On the bright side, I got to see these, up close and personal:
Sometime you should look up the twin turbo Chrysler 340 DeTomaso Pantera that Shelby built. I think they destroyed the car after they were done experimenting with it, but it was a SCREAMER...

Reactions: ETXhiker
1 - 19 of 19 Posts