Defensive Carry banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5,250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are going to start camping next week in bear country so like every year we shoot a cylinder or two of 200 grain hardcast from the GP100, a few slugs from the 12 gauge and spray our outdated bear spray just to remember the kick of the guns and the pattern of the bear spray.
Plastic milk jugs are the target filled with water and set at 25 yards (for the guns,not the spray). I shoot 38 special so much I tend to forget the hammer that 357 flat nosed is. Instead of my usual leaky hole it just explodes the jug.
Forgot how much fun that is.
Then I try a couple 600 grain magnum slugs. My wife will not try one after watching my shoulder buck.
Again what a blast. I wish I could afford to shoot these more. Always a surprise how accurate a rifled slug is from a smoothbore barrel.
Finally shot the last 4 jugs with my 642 loaded with Underwood hardcast wadcutters. I hit 4 of 5 at 25 yards. A couple of edge hits but, still made me smile and end a very satisfying outing of only 19 rounds.
If you carry bear spray don't forget a firm grip, it kicks more than most expect from a spray can.

I have to admit shooting some power was a fun change from my usual 38 special drills.
:cool:
I can't say enough about the particular GP100 I have. I have had some rough Ruger's and even sold them for that reason and normally I would say S&W has much smoother wheelguns than Ruger but, I must have got a really good one because it even rivals my old model 10 in the trigger pull. Like me, my wife shoots exclusively DA and that is her favorite gun to shoot. In fact its really the only way I can get her to come out with me to shoot is to bring that gun or the 30-06, which is her rifle anyway.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Do you have any chrono data on the .357 loads by chance?

·
Registered
7,093 Posts
I love to just get out and shoot a little bit with guns and ammo I rarely get the chance to try! It just gets the blood flowing! Enjoy your camping! DR

·
Registered
362 Posts
I have .357 mag 200 grn lead flat nose. manufactured by Grizzly Cartridge Company. The box lists 1300 fps but I have not independently verified that. I know the box label is usually optimistic . They grouped pretty well out of my 4" Model 28. Awesome fireball I was told.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts