Registered
9,323 Posts

Welcome!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Super Moderator
25,501 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum!!

Just an off the wall thought, since you are intending on doing graduate work, and with your prior military experence, check and see if you can get into the ROTC program of the school you attend. I do have to admit I don't have any idea as to whether that is possible though.

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Welcome to Defensive Carry :wave: The best forum for sharing ideas and experience.

Help us keep this forum great by remembering the Golden Rule: Please treat others as you want to be treated.

I am from Kansas.

·
Registered
186 Posts
No, a permanent resident can buy, own and carry firearms just like a citizen can. There's no extra paperwork. Get a TX drivers license and you should be good.

·
Registered
3,259 Posts
Don't worry, I was so good in history that I was accepted to university read it. I know very well United states history, and North-America's history as well.My father happens to be history teacher and I have read history books that my cousing had when they were studying in High School at New York. One things that I love most about US is the Constitution and later added rights in "Bill of Rights".

I have been planning moving to US about 7/8 years so I have had time to read many books, talk to american friends in Europe and US etc.
Thank you, that sounds really good.

·
Registered
1,397 Posts
Welcome to the greatest country on God's Green Earth. AND welcome to the greatest forum, where you will find good honest information about 90% of the time. Once in a while, someone falls off the wagon, with some off the wall comment/opinion, but all in all, you are among the best red blooded Americans, who support the Second Amendment.

NRA, DAV Life Member
USAF, Retired

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome and we are happy to have you. When you move to the U.S., make sure you bring all your certified copies of your military service records. I believe you can join as (OSVET) Other Services Veteran. You might have to attend a "boot camp" to familiarize yourself with American military doctrine. I believe the National Guard will take you and train one weekend a month and then train for a summer camp for a few weeks. Again, welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Wow! Can I have your house in Finland? :biggrin2: Welcome to the forums! As far as gun ownership here, I'm afraid it gets a little complicated. Every state has its own restrictions and regulations on guns and how many rounds you're allowed to carry...don't ever move to California. I would go ahead and research online about Texas gun ownership and carry. I don't know how the forum looks at PDF files, so I'll go ahead and just link this site to you: Handgunlaw.us . What you do is click on the state you're wanting on the map, and it'll open up a PDF file showing you what you can and can't do for just that state.
And TeflonDon. It was regular semiautomatic AR-15, made in Germany. Haenel cr 223. I think it has different name in US.

Yeah I will never move to California. :D I their taxation is almoust as high as in Scandinavia. There are so many other reasons of course, but you know those already. Thanks about that site, I did check it out and it's very useful for the future.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I'm very pleased to have you aboard. You seem to be everything we want as a legal citizen of our country. So many seem to think we are anti immigrants and nothing could be further from the truth. We are very PRO immigration - the legal way. I give you an A+ as regards to your grade as a new citizen of our country. Best of luck with the process. :35:

I still have never gotten around to visiting Norther Europe. It's on my new bucket list (I fulfilled my last one). For the last 10 years or so all my trips were based on interesting Scuba diving destinations and since I'm a warm water wuss - well, cold water destinations were off my list. Now scuba is off the table for me so I'm looking around the world for places to see.

PS there are some places in the US to avoid as they are a bit crazy about guns (in a bad way). New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, California, Washington DC. There is great history there so visit them before you start carrying a weapon.:hand5:
Thanks, And I agree about those states. Family member moved from Dallas to New York so I have seen closely frustration about gunlaws in NYC.

Best time to go in Scandinavia is in July, or to Lapland in March(If you want amazing snow weather). Battle Of Raate Road is interesting place to see. You don't often see units completely destroyed in WW2. It's The place to see if want to see terrain in Finland, and see why it has been hard to conquer in the history.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Hi and welcome to the forum!!

Just an off the wall thought, since you are intending on doing graduate work, and with your prior military experence, check and see if you can get into the ROTC program of the school you attend. I do have to admit I don't have any idea as to whether that is possible though.
Thanks rstickle! I actually didn't know about ROTC before. I knew about grants what US army gives after serving, and other ways to pay for college. This is very interesting and I will keep this closely in mind. I bet that Texas has some ROTC programs going on. Now just see about qualifications for it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Yeah I did think about that. usually people say that Student/work visa isn't "permanent resident", so you would need to have green card first. And State of texas ID comes very handy indeed.

·
Super Moderator
23,228 Posts
No, a permanent resident can buy, own and carry firearms just like a citizen can. There's no extra paperwork. Get a TX drivers license and you should be good.
It depends entirely on the definition of what "Permanent" means. Students are generally not considered "permanent" resident as students are typically short term sojourners and transitory in duration and location. While it depends on the exact statute which applies to the purchase and ownership of firearms, and the definition of "permanent" thereunder (which I do not know), you may in fact be good to go. I just don't know the exact answer.

Regardless, welcome to DC!

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Lol you didn't know who the white death was?? He was a certified bad A! He's one of my heroes.
Nope, but I DO know who "White Feather" was AND I wear Chuck Norris pajamas. Sooo, do I get extra-credit? :blink:

·
Super Moderator
25,501 Posts
Thanks rstickle! I actually didn't know about ROTC before. I knew about grants what US army gives after serving, and other ways to pay for college. This is very interesting and I will keep this closely in mind. I bet that Texas has some ROTC programs going on. Now just see about qualifications for it.
Yes the Army has both in and post service programs. They paid 75% of the tuition for my BS, and the old GI Bill paid the tuition for my MS years ago. Needless to say, I never had to pay back a student loan! But like I said I'm not current in the newer regulations and requirement other than most of the programs still exist in some form, since I retired from the Army many years ago.

Many colleges and universities have Reserve Officer Training Corps (ROTC) programs, from one or more of the services. but some only have one (Army, Navy, or Air Force) at their school.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
At end of Sept beginning Oct in Liberty Hill, TX (Austin) they are having the TEXAS INTERNATIONAL FIREARMS FESTIVAL. You shoot vendors firearms they supply ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I don't know anything with respect to Texas law. So note that. But I have known quite a few people who have gone through the University's international house here in Kansas.

- A student visa does not allow you the ability to own a firearm. You can not legally own a firearm in Kansas if you are here on a student visa.

- Getting your Green Card, will give you all the rights a citizen has, except being able to vote and perhaps carry a gun. Hence you'll be able to buy, but not necessarily be able to carry.

- Kansas has constitutional carry now, so if you had a green card, you could carry here. Before we had constitutional carry though, carrying was reserved for American Citizens only. I have no idea what's going on in Texas.

Man! I've been to Finland. Loved it. I'm thinking that Texas is going to be some kind of culture shock for you lol!! You'll love it. Good luck in your studies.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Welcome from Houston(ish). Austin has a lot of cool places. Stop at Salt Lick for bar b que. If you are a beer guy, check out Jester King Brewery. Lots of sours and farm house ales. 6th street is party central with a bunch of bars door to door. Don't know what kind of music you are into but there is Hoek's Death Metal Pizza on 6th street as well. Even if death metal is not your thing the pizza is really good. The Roaring Fork is a great Americana restaurant that I believe is located on 7th street. There is absolutely no shortage of live music in Austin, of all genres. Hope you enjoy Texas!

·
Registered
186 Posts
It depends entirely on the definition of what "Permanent" means. Students are generally not considered "permanent" resident as students are typically short term sojourners and transitory in duration and location. While it depends on the exact statute which applies to the purchase and ownership of firearms, and the definition of "permanent" thereunder (which I do not know), you may in fact be good to go. I just don't know the exact answer.

Regardless, welcome to DC!
You're right. With permanent, I mean someone who has a green card. Those are part of 'The People' as far as the constitution goes. And yes, state laws could say something else. Where I live, there's no difference.

Also, isn't there a rule saying that any foreigner with a valid hunting license can possess weapons? How else could tourists go hunting?

21 - 40 of 42 Posts