Defensive Carry banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have decided to buy some new wood grips for my Kimber TLE II. There are literally dozens of kinds of wood. How can I know the difference between the kinds of wood? Or is this basically a decision based on asthetics?

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
To me, it depends on whether or not its a carry piece or not. If its a safe queen then for me its all about asthetics. If I expect to carry it, I usually pick a hardwood that will not be effected by the changes in weather or temps. I also carry in tuckable holsters and find that some checkering bothers my skin. I have chosen some wood grips that are smooth so this doesnt happen. I'm attracted to the woods that are wild in grain and have character. I think it's more about personal likes and dislikes.

·
Super Moderator
50,585 Posts

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
Sorry, didnt mean to evade your question.

Any of the hardwoods would be a good choice against moisture. They are generally denser and tend to repel moisture better than soft woods. Some hardwoods would be; oak, beech, maple, cherry, birch ...

I prefer Birdseye maple myself.

Exotic hardwoods would be; tulipwood, cocobolo, teak, ebony ...

Of course, the finish that is used plays a large part on water repellency and wear. I prefer an oil rubbed hardwood and as the finish wears off, (which it will if its your EDC) I can re-apply something similar to tongue oil very easily.

I think the bottom line is what appeals to you?

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
+1 on the Esmeralda grips for excellent wood grips. Also, I had some nice Larry Davidson Horned Lizard grips for my CBOB. I liked those grips a lot and would definitely consider that route also if I were you.

monkeygrips

·
Registered
4,469 Posts
These are great sites. I've been looking to replace my mil specs.

·
Administrator
143,663 Posts
Ebony, Cocobolo, Lignum Vitae, Pink Ivory Wood, Purpleheart, Bubinga, African Blackwood, Kingwood, Snakewood, Leopardwood, Rosewood, Bloodwood, Teak....the list goes on and on.

I can think of SO Many suitable exotic hardwoods that are incredibly beautiful.

And then (of course) any of the softer woods that have been stabilized are also perfect for gun grips.

And the dyed laminated woods like Dymondwood are basically indestructible and very beautiful.

Walnut is a classic grip & gunstock wood but, it is actually fairly soft compared to the rarer exotics being used today.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I have settled on trying Water Buffalo Horn (or Brazilian Kingwood...) but they have three different choices on the grip "options."

1) Flat/standard
2) Bevelled
3) Magwell

I know that #1 is for stock guns w/no mods, right? And #2 I am not sure if that is a personal preference thing or what... And #3 is if you have a larger magwell on your 1911 for faster mag loading, right?

I have a Kimber TLE II that is pretty much stock except for a upgraded MSH.

Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
921 Posts
There's also "full length" that covers the safety plunger and some have a cut out for the MSH pin.

ETA I'm also looking for some 1911 grips. Most likely I'll go with Sarges but here's a link that I found. Don't know much about this as I just bought my first 1911.

Exotic Pistol Grips

10% off code
PHP:
CALGUNSPROMO

·
Registered
657 Posts
If you decide on a more "tactical" feel to your girps than wood then I would advise and strongly rec the VZ "Operator" G10 grips.

Vanzyke has mastered the art with micarta linen, paper and G10 grips. You won't find any better grips for a 1911.

Depending on what you want he has everything from slimlines to the Operators that are an aggressive pattern and will serve you well. These are some aggressive grips and you'll likely find your hands blistered after your first shoot, but if you don't already have the necessary callus on your hands from shooting, then these grips will get you there.

Custom 1911 Grips | Handgun Grips

1 - 15 of 15 Posts