Defensive Carry banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
'Columbia state fair this weekend. It should be good wholesome fun for me & the family. Except that I can't carry.

You know that any BG with half a brain is going to scoping folks walking to/from their cars to the gate, knowing that they're all unarmed.

I guess I'll have to rely on natural ability and sunny disposition to keep us safe. :mad:

·
Registered
571 Posts
Why not just avoid the fair? No Guns, No $$$.

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why not just avoid the fair? No Guns, No $$$.
Trust me, the thought crossed my mind - more than once. However, if I did that, my son would never see a state fair. It's all about balancing quality of life against safety. I try not to live stupidly, but I'm not going to let BG's and poor gun policies make me live a timid life.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Trust me, the thought crossed my mind - more than once. However, if I did that, my son would never see a state fair. It's all about balancing quality of life against safety. I try not to live stupidly, but I'm not going to let BG's and poor gun policies make me live a timid life.
I hear you. On the other hand, I'm sure you can pay somebody to smuggle you out the elephant ears and chocolate bananas :blink:.

Enjoy yourself though... I admit I love fairs even though the rides make me sick.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I like the balance idea, but my entire family supports the no gun/no money policy. Luckily in my state, with the exception of government property a sign is just a suggestion, so we dont' miss out on much. The things we do miss out on like our city park is replaced by state parks, which allow us to carry. If I can't carry, they can't have my money. The bad guys don't take breaks, they dont' respect laws, they won't care if I'm unarmed.

And man, your state fair must be much more interesting than my Indiana state fair. It's full of dirtballs to the brim and is the LAST place I would go not carrying. I'm doing my children a favor by keeping them from that pit. Ours in in the "hood" of all places, not some place I want to be unarmed at night, or day for that matter.

·
Registered
241 Posts
'Columbia state fair this weekend. It should be good wholesome fun for me & the family.
I'll see you there, I'll be the guy with the adorably cute granddaughter:smile:

I do regret having to go to Columbia on a Saturday afternoon to the fair, but Condition Yellow still applies, weapon or no!

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Im glad Ohio allows us to carry to the fair, just cant go into the many buildings except restrooms. Take a vacation the first week of Aug. and bring your son to ours, we would love your money.

Enjoy the fair, take lots of money and have fun.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Come on down to Texas! I'll be going this weekend, but it's a first date...so I still haven't decided if I'm going to carry or not.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
I'd at least take some OC spray. That'll put your odds a little more in your favor, I would think.:yup:

·
Premium Member
24,508 Posts
Sounds like it's time to invest in non-lethal defensive devices.

·
Banned
464 Posts
Just don't go. Explain to your children and/or grandchildren that you cannot carry a firearm there and that your safety must not be compromised. The quality of life line is a copout, using that logic we could just not carry anywhere because it interferes with the quality of life.

Never disarm. Your child or grandchild might not understand but it is not a matter of consequence now since you are ensuring that they will grow up into adults and they will understand at that time.

·
Registered
434 Posts
The quality of life line is a copout
I have to respectfully disagree.

Each of us makes choices, weighing the important factors, and comes down on what we hope is the right side. I'll be at the fair this weekend with my family, as I'll be travelling from gun-friendly PA back to my wife and kids in SC. And I won't be carrying there, as it's illegal (though I truly wish I could).

We each have the right to respectfully disagree with one another, but I don't feel you can accuse one of using HIS FAMILY'S quality of life as a copout.

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Originally Posted by Oldskoolfan View Post
The quality of life line is a copout
I have to respectfully disagree.

Each of us makes choices, weighing the important factors, and comes down on what we hope is the right side. I'll be at the fair this weekend with my family, as I'll be travelling from gun-friendly PA back to my wife and kids in SC. And I won't be carrying there, as it's illegal (though I truly wish I could).

We each have the right to respectfully disagree with one another, but I don't feel you can accuse one of using HIS FAMILY'S quality of life as a copout.
don't feed him

WHEC724, I understand where you're at, how bout a knife and OC?

·
Premium Member
7,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
WHEC724 said:
Yeah, I'll do what I can... However, I plan on being way keyed up on SA and leverage avoidance. I'll also coach the family on a game plan if the SHTF.

Thanks - I'm also hoping a bunch of your fellow LEO's will be there!

·
Registered
6,514 Posts
Yeah, I'll do what I can... However, I plan on being way keyed up on SA and leverage avoidance. I'll also coach the family on a game plan if the SHTF.

Thanks - I'm also hoping a bunch of your fellow LEO's will be there!
good plan
I'm sure there will be some there, but watch your 6 going/coming

1 - 17 of 17 Posts