Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been reading a lot of threads and today I caved in and got a Galco gun belt. I thought I made the best decision in the world the minute I put it on. My IWB holster and XD9sc pressed snugly against my body and no sagging in the belt like my old dress belt.

It all kinda fell apart right after my drive home from the gun store... And my Blackhawk nylon IWB holster and XD squirted out of my belt line like toothpaste and almost landed on my driveway had I not caught them.

I was like "hey what the heck". Put it back on. Moved around and tried drawing and the holster squirted out again. See, the belt is too thick for my Blackhawk's hook. It can't clamp down and retain. Well shoot I own 4 Blackhawks and I can't use any of them on my new $60 belt?

Tried my pancake holsters too. All 4 of them. No dice. The belt is so stiff that the pancakes don't settle properly at my favorite 3.30 position. Grr.

Tried one more thing. The paddle holster that came with my XDM. Carried it around all evening and yes the belt prevented sagging but it was stiff and every hook (paddle and the one on my magazine holster) dug into my side. Really uncomfortable.

So I'm starting to think I made a mistake getting a gun belt. $60 could have bought me three nice boxes of 9mm ammo.

So a question to all you DC folks. What am I doing wrong? What works with gun belts and what doesn't? I'm dreading having to plop down big bucks for new fancy leather holsters and dump all my nylon/pancake ones. Your advice is really appreciated!

·
Registered
586 Posts
You didn't make a mistake on getting a good gun belt. You made a mistake in getting one that doesn't fit the measurements of your holsters. Return it for the correct width if possible. I hated my belt to until I broke it in.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You didn't make a mistake on getting a good gun belt. You made a mistake in getting one that doesn't fit the measurements of your holsters. Return it for the correct width if possible. I hated my belt to until I broke it in.

+1. A good gun belt is a must for me! My guess is the belt is too wide. I think the standard for most holsters is 1.50". Your belt, I'm guessing is 1.75".

·
Banned
2,647 Posts
I bought a Galco belt and the King Tuk holster, never a problem.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
+1. A good gun belt is a must for me! My guess is the belt is too wide. I think the standard for most holsters is 1.50". Your belt, I'm guessing is 1.75".
I agree. Measure a belt you have that works.

·
Registered
10 Posts
A stiff gun belt is a good thing, it'll keep your gun and holster from sagging. The leather will soften up and contour to your body and holster in a week or two.

The one other thing about a new high quality gun belt is sometimes you can get a squeaky one (also only until you break it in. It sounds like you got one that doesn't squeak though.

·
Registered
293 Posts
I went from a 1.5 department store belt (dockers I think?) to a 1.75 gunbelt and just got new clips for my holster. I only have one so it wasn't a big investment. Try the right belt, or the right clips and then reevaluate.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So I reevaluated my belt (by the way it's a leather belt with pre punched holes, with a width of 1.5 inches) and I must've been doing something wring before but I can make my Blackhawk IWB holsters work now. They definitely fit a 1.5 wide belt:

But the pancake holsters are a different story. The belt is so stiff that it does what I'm showing in the picture here.

Anyone experienced this before and does this mean that pancake holsters and gun belts don't jive? (My pancake holsters are my most expensive ones so I'm not too happy about this situation)

·
Registered
55 Posts
The belt will have to break in & the holsters will also have to reconform with the new belt. It just takes a while for everything to work out. You may also need to adjust how/where (position, height, cant, etc) you carry with the new rig.

Sent from my GS 3 using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
2,919 Posts
I've had zero luck with my plastic-clip nylon holster on the gun belt I bought from Exodus Gunleather. The plastic clip isn't set up for a belt that thick. The hook on the bottom doesn't grab underneath the belt. The times I carry the snubbie in that setup I use a thinner dress belt.

A quality holster will make a big difference, especially since you won't have to worry you might drop your rig when you move.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've had zero luck with my plastic-clip nylon holster on the gun belt I bought from Exodus Gunleather. The plastic clip isn't set up for a belt that thick. The hook on the bottom doesn't grab underneath the belt. The times I carry the snubbie in that setup I use a thinner dress belt.

A quality holster will make a big difference, especially since you won't have to worry you might drop your rig when you move.
Yup that's what I'm seeing. My Nylon holster's hook barb is like > < small. Works on dress belts sucks on thick gun belts. My Blackhawks are cheap so I guess I'll be on the hunt for an IWB with a better hook soon. The box o' holsters is slowly becoming a closet o' holsters!

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The belt will have to break in & the holsters will also have to reconform with the new belt. It just takes a while for everything to work out. You may also need to adjust how/where (position, height, cant, etc) you carry with the new rig.

Ok I'll try that. Breaking it in at least. Going to a new position is risky. I've made a conscious effort to draw only 3.30 or pocket for muscle memory sake. Don't want to mess that up. Oh well...

·
Premium Member
116 Posts
Ok I'll try that. Breaking it in at least. Going to a new position is risky. I've made a conscious effort to draw only 3.30 or pocket for muscle memory sake. Don't want to mess that up. Oh well...
I don't think you will have to change carry position, that belt will work in, and the "wings" of the pancake holster will stretch. You just have to give it some time. Once it is broken in, you will be very glad indeed to have a good belt.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I meant you may have to move your gun either slightly forward our slightly backward depending on how the belt breaks in. There will be a sweet spot where everything seems to settle in.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hey there DetChris! Your belt just needs sometime to break in. If you want to break in your belt quicker I recommend getting some leather conditioner to soften it up just a bit. After the conditioner has absorbed into the belt, work the heck out the belt. It is leather and you'll have a really hard time messing that thing up. At one stage when I make my belts, I grab hold of both ends of the belt and wrap it around a pole and pull on both ends back and forth until the belt gives a little and becomes more pliable. Leather will always stiffen up over time. A nice thick belt is the most important part of your carry system. It allows for a more accurate and predicable extraction. The last thing anyone needs who carries is a cheap belt. Cheap belts allow your holster to sag and rotate. With that being said, you made a great choice by buying a thick and heavy duty belt. Remember, you always get what you pay for. PM me anytime if you have any questions about your belt. I'd be glad to help you out. Take care...Zach

·
Registered
151 Posts
REMORA! no gun belt needed, just a little pressure from a normal belt, strings(gym shorts) or snug fitting pants. i can't wear a gun belt. to uncomfortable. right now i'm sitting sideways on my couch with my right side(gun @3:00 right hip) pressed up against the cushions and i can't even tell i'm concealing an xdm 3.8 compact with the 19rnd extended mag. i'm wearing gym shorts with the strings mildly tight. no thick stiff belly and hip choking going on here. and even thought there's some heft there, it will be in the same spot when i pull it off before going to sleep tonight. best part of all, infinite adjustment.

·
Registered
3,335 Posts
Ive found for me the best set up is a good belt and good holsters wih loops i.e. milt sparks summer special, rosens workman. For clip ons the hbe works fine also rosens clipon. The nylon holsters never entered my mind because its hard to reholster with one hand.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts