Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
320 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
CCW is relatively new in Kansas. Right after it passed signs were posted everywhere in private businesses. Now that it's been around for a couple of years, a lot of those signs are gone. Makes me wonder why businesses have changed their stance.

J.S.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Well, when people are uneducated about something then tend to fear it or be apprehensive to accept it.

So when it became legal to carry a sidearm, alot of people were scared at the idea.

Now that time has passed and they have wittnessed the positive effects, well they accept it now and have no worries or problems with it.. JMO

·
Registered
1 Posts
I recently got my CHL and my instructor said that a lot of businesses are weary of guns being brought into their shops but after awhile through some means, via word on the street or business meetings, they come to the conclusion that people that get their CHL's are not the ones that cause problems and if someone that is the "good guy" does bring a weapon into such an establishment might actually be able to protect the place if there is a threat.

·
Super Moderator
18,124 Posts
Any time a target rich environment that bans guns disappears, it is cause for celebration.

Now, if only the Feds would follow suit...

·
Registered
63 Posts
I moved to Kansas about 3 yrs ago just about the time that cc was going into effect....I remember visiting a friend who owns a sign making shop and listening to all the local merchants coming in to get there No handguns signs.....From listening to them they pretty much thought that people were gonna be coming into there stores armed for the apocalypse....I bet they were surprised when they couldn't even tell who was carrying..... You know here in Eureka where I live a lot of the signs have come down as well.....Isn't it funny how that works????

·
Registered
42 Posts
Its just amazing the lack of critical thinking. Do these people who post these signs believe that the criminals will abide by them? I know I am preaching to the choir but what flawed logic. Disarm the law abiding good guys. I will never understand it.

I am glad too that some of the signs are coming down. I saw a business card sized card that said something like NO GUNS = NO MONEY. It detailed that law abiding CCW will not patronize their store as long as they restrict the lawful carry of concealed firearms. The idea was to give it to the business owners to make them think. I might try to find some of those.

Just my 2c.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Hopefully the trend continues and those business cards implying law abiding ccw citizens will take their business elsewhere are a great idea. I shake my head everytime I see one of those signs when visiting.

Now if Kansas would accept other State's license when I go to KC I won't have to worry if I have crossed over the state line. :-(

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Hopefully the trend continues and those business cards implying law abiding ccw citizens will take their business elsewhere are a great idea. I shake my head everytime I see one of those signs when visiting.

Now if Kansas would accept other State's license when I go to KC I won't have to worry if I have crossed over the state line. :-(
What State's license do you have? We do recognize licenses from 22 States and beginning on July 1st, 2009, we also started recognizing licenses issued to non-residents of those 22 States so if you happen to have a Florida or Texas non-resident license, you're good to go.

As to signage, I believe, as do others, that when CCH first went into effect, several groups who were opposed to CCH were contacting businesses and misleading them into believing that to be able to prosecute anyone in their store with a gun they needed to post signs when in reality, the signs only affect legally licensed CCH holders. As a lot of business owners have become aware of what the law actually is, usually through education by CCH holders, the signs have begun to come down. The bank that I was with for 30 years is still posted to this day, but when I moved my personal and corporate accounts to a bank that wasn't posted, I wrote them a lengthy letter and explained why they lost the business. Maybe someday, they too will "get it".

Hoss

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
Its just amazing the lack of critical thinking. Do these people who post these signs believe that the criminals will abide by them? I know I am preaching to the choir but what flawed logic. Disarm the law abiding good guys. I will never understand it.

I am glad too that some of the signs are coming down. I saw a business card sized card that said something like NO GUNS = NO MONEY. It detailed that law abiding CCW will not patronize their store as long as they restrict the lawful carry of concealed firearms. The idea was to give it to the business owners to make them think. I might try to find some of those.

Just my 2c.
I think alot of them believe YOU are the criminal. You're a paranoid, hair triggered maniac.... I think its more that than thinking the signs are going to keep out a real criminal.....

·
Registered
281 Posts

As Hoss said Kansas will now except any, out of state license, that they have reciprocity with reguardless of if you are a resident of that state. Live in Kalifornia have a Florida, Your good to go.

I moved to Kansas about 3 yrs ago just about the time that cc was going into effect....I remember visiting a friend who owns a sign making shop and listening to all the local merchants coming in to get there No handguns signs.....From listening to them they pretty much thought that people were gonna be coming into there stores armed for the apocalypse....I bet they were surprised when they couldn't even tell who was carrying..... You know here in Eureka where I live a lot of the signs have come down as well.....Isn't it funny how that works????
Many organization and peope who were anti gun ran around telling bussinesses that there would be "blood flowing in the Streets" and that it was the Law that they had to post. Now that it's getting hard to find a pint and the word is getting out most bussinesses are reconsidering.

I lived in Eureka about 8 years ago. It's a nice relatively quite town, In contact with a few folk's up there still.

CCW is relatively new in Kansas. Right after it passed signs were posted everywhere in private businesses. Now that it's been around for a couple of years, a lot of those signs are gone. Makes me wonder why businesses have changed their stance.

J.S.
Because of the concerted effort of members of KSCCW.com, and others who refuse to do bussiness with posted companies. There were even stories of local Chamber of Comerce telling people to post and handing out free signs.

Just my 2c.
Whether the cards work or not is hard to judge but you feel better handing them out and maybe it will chage a mind or two. They are available at KSCCW.com to download and print on your computer.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I saw a business card sized card that said something like NO GUNS = NO MONEY. It detailed that law abiding CCW will not patronize their store as long as they restrict the lawful carry of concealed firearms. The idea was to give it to the business owners to make them think. I might try to find some of those.
I don't suppose you remember any of the details? What else did it say?

·
Registered
44 Posts
What State's license do you have? We do recognize licenses from 22 States and beginning on July 1st, 2009, we also started recognizing licenses issued to non-residents of those 22 States so if you happen to have a Florida or Texas non-resident license, you're good to go.

Hoss
Wow, thank you for that. This ia huge for me for as often as I find myself in KC. When I took my class last spring the only state Florida got me that Iowa and Utah did not was Florida itself so I didn't get it. Going to call my instructor as the course was a joint Iowa-Utah-Florida course and hope I can still apply.

Going to have to see if Illinois or Wisconsin changed too but I won't hold my breath. ;-)

now I REALLY hope thos gunbuster signs come down more and more!

·
Registered
785 Posts
When CWP was legalized in SC, many decried it. claiming there would "be shootouts at stoplights and gunfights in stores". Never happened. People are slow to realize that, just because someone wants to carry a gun for protection, it doesn't mean they're wild-eyed gunslingers, looking for someone to plug. They're unable to separate a right wing/religious, para, neo-nazi, civilization-is-ending (insert whatever agenda fits) organization from an individual citizen facing down two muggers on a dark sidewalk at 2 in the morning.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Wow, thank you for that. This ia huge for me for as often as I find myself in KC. When I took my class last spring the only state Florida got me that Iowa and Utah did not was Florida itself so I didn't get it. Going to call my instructor as the course was a joint Iowa-Utah-Florida course and hope I can still apply.

Going to have to see if Illinois or Wisconsin changed too but I won't hold my breath. ;-)

now I REALLY hope thos gunbuster signs come down more and more!
I don't see any chance of change on the horizon for Wisconsin or especially for Illinois.

BTW, I assume you're from Iowa based on the "joint Iowa-Utah-Florida course" statement, so how about working on your state? They won't accept anyone's permit but their own.:frown:

Hoss

·
Registered
265 Posts
You mean a business card that says No Guns = No Money? What a great idea! :image035: I distribute them every chance I get. Check out my avatar.

Just my 2c.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I see that "Random" asked about this as well. If you e-mail me I will send you the pdf file and instructions to make these for yourself: [email protected]

If you rather not deal with making them, I can mail you some of them. I charge only the amount to cover my costs. I don't make a penny profit distributing these to my 2nd Amendment brothers.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I don't see any chance of change on the horizon for Wisconsin or especially for Illinois.

BTW, I assume you're from Iowa based on the "joint Iowa-Utah-Florida course" statement, so how about working on your state? They won't accept anyone's permit but their own.:frown:

Hoss
True, Iowa doesn't. I think the main reason is the county Sheriffs want yearly background checks performed. But if you think it is bad we don't allow other state permits in realize it is worse than that. If I lived in certain counties I wouldn't have a permit in Iowa either as it is up to each county sheriff to make the call and plenty of them have a blanket no permit issued policy. Iowa Carry, a group I support, is trying to change all this.

·
Registered
166 Posts
That card makes total sense. I always wondered what the store owners posting the signs were thinking. Were talking about CONCEALED carry...so customers and the owners themselves would never even know you were carrying..so who would you rather have in your store..

A- BG's and non law abiding people carrying illegally with no training/back round checks, who saw the sign outside and are now excited that they are the only ones carrying in the store and would meet no resistance if they wanted to do something stupid... mixed with trained CC'ers without there guns, because they (us) being law abiding enough to get the permits, listened to your sign and didn't bring our gun in.

or

B- Trained, legal customers carrying for personal protection, possibly mixed with some BG's/no gooders who aren't sure who is carrying/who isn't and would never try anything because of that fact.

The owners/customers would never know who is carrying UNTIL

A- One of their employees is shot and now they have a gun in their face being asked to open the register, and having to comply and possibly die because they banned any CC'er from utilizing their weapon to stop the current threat to their life....

or

B- They see someone pull a gun and fire at an employee, then hear more gunfire and see the bad guy crumple to the ground where he belongs, then look up and see a CC'er scanning the area checking for other threats, safing his weapon and calling 911.

It seems to me like it would only take a small amount of common sense to think about these A or B scenarios and make a decision not to post signs in a heartbeat, but I guess not?

·
Registered
635 Posts
Everytime positive gun legislation gets passed all the under educated anti gun people scream wild west blood in the streets total chaos murder capitol BS.

In the end it never happens yet even today people still scream it. It is happening right now in TN with the Sept 1 gun in parks law that passed. All the city councils are trying to side step the law screaming how guns in parks are not safe and blah blah blah. Same old BS. '

It has been One years since that school district in Texas allowed guns to be carried by staff in Texas. Not only has nobody been killed, it is not even a big deal anymore.

Stupid is as stupid does.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts