Defensive Carry banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
813 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had an interesting thought cross my mind last night. I have poor eyesight and wear contact lenses daily. Without them I could not safely drive, identify people past a few feet away, or hit a 15 yd target. I plan on getting laser surgery within the next few years as the price comes down.

My nightly preperation before I go to sleep is to ensure that my weapon, an LED flashlight, AND a pair of glasses, both DURABLE and SNUG fitting are beside my bed. Without the latter the first two would surely be useless....or dangerous!!!

How many of us identify our short-comings on a regular basis and develop strategies for their compensation? This could carry over to hearing aids and other disabilities. Remember...."Proper preperation prevents piss poor performance".

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
6p's

Proper planing prevents piss poor performance

Same thing different works ..lol

A Man has got to know his limitations at least you plan for yours ...

Lucky i have Perfect Eye sight so this is not a problem for me.

Now trying to see in the pitch dark house i have to plan for a flashlight .. My night vision is pretty poor since i don't go out a lot at night

·
Super Moderator
23,564 Posts
I have lousy eyesight w/o glasses, but I have a 12 Ga in the BR. With no kids in the house, and only my wife and I there, anything that goes "bump in the night" is fair game, night sight (or lack thereof) notwithstanding.........

·
Registered
10,807 Posts
Yep, sounds like me. Glasses, flashlight, and pistol all on the night stand in easy reach. I don't think that anyone will get close to my bedroom with out me getting some warning (3 dogs) but I still want to be able to grab my glasses first.

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Only 6 for me too Bud :nanana:

I need quite strong correction and even so the old eyes now still have trouble finding a halfways decent sight picture. I therefore have CT's and am in process of practicing better shooting from retention and point style options too.

I can tho and do - practice with glasses off sometimes - which is a bit like making sure we practice weak handed etc - cover all bases if possible. I do find too - after having glasses off as per when in bed - I can adjust a bit better to managing without.

Certainly for anyone - identify the weak spots and work on them - whether by practice and/or planning.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
Just a bit further

Yep, same set up here! Glasses, handgun and Surefire.

My vision is good enough to make an ID without glasses, but not good enought to line up the sights. Therefore, sight focused and threat focused skills hold the same level of importance to me.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Bud White said:
7p's

Proper planing prevents piss poor performance
Actually "Proper planing prevents poor plank performance" :wink:

Eyesight is one of the main reasons I depend on shotguns for home defense. Mine have Surefire forends and lights installed. When I'm packing I'm usually awake :wink:, and wearing either contacts or glasses since my eyes are almost 50 yrs old and need a little help.

·
Registered
6,868 Posts
Fellow bad eyesight-guy here....glasses near the flashlight. My plan is not to end up like poor FBI SA Ben Grogan (RIP)....

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
I have poor eyesite and wear contacts. These go out at night and I have glasses on the night stand.

Guys, even if you use shotguns for HD you are still going to have to accurately AIM at that short of distance because your shot spread isn't going to open that much at ranges inside the home. I would hate for you to miss with a shotgun......that would be embarrassing!:image035:

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
Bud White said:
......Lucky I have Perfect Eye sight so this is not a problem for me.....

Yeah, go ahead and gloat, but one day you'll be old:tongue: & have to wear glasses too..............:blink:

·
Registered
11,431 Posts
I only wear my glasses when I want to see, and I definately want to see what goes bump in the night before I blast away with the mossyberg. Therefore, the glasses are close at hand when I lay me down to sleep.

·
Registered
17,352 Posts
goawayfarm said:
Yeah, go ahead and gloat, but one day you'll be old:tongue: & have to wear glasses too..............:blink:
I'm sure your right and i will but for now ill rub it in :buttkick:

·
Registered
680 Posts
I’ve seen people miss with an 870 loaded with 00 buck at 15’. It takes a while for them to live that one down…err. I mean boy were they embarrassed.

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
save up and ...

Save up and get ....Lasik. I had it done in 2001 and darn glad I did. I had extreme nearsighted and astigmatism. Now I have 20/18. I didn't make much at the time, but I saved for quite a while for that sole purpose. spent around 1400 for both eyes done. Never have to worry about contacts or glasses giving out on me again!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts