Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was just wondering what others are doing as far as gun cleaning.

after a set amount of rounds? set time periods regardless of rounds fired?................????.

i like to clean mine after every trip to the range and have always done so. my uncle always comments on how often i clean my pistols so i just wonder what the masses are doing.

·
1952 - 2006
1,371 Posts
I don't clean mine as often as I should but when I do, I detail strip my 1911's then inspect, clean and lube every part and every spring individually.

·
Registered
737 Posts
They get a cleaning after every trip to the range, whether they need it or not. My 1911 gets detail stripped after every third trip, just a field strip for the other two. One of those quirks the Army left me with, now I can't leave a firearm dirty for more than a day or two.

·
Registered
796 Posts
I clean mine everytime I use them.

*Bang* take apart clean

Reload,,,

*bang* take apart clean

I don't shoot much. LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I clean mine after each use. I will also sit down and clean the ones that have not seen use in a while. Just to say hello and let them know I care.
Mike

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
After every shooting session, even if I only put a few rounds through it.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Handguns - since I shoot a lot of cast lead, I clean after every session which usually amounts to a couple hundred rounds. If I just shoot a box I'll usually forego cleaning.

Rifles - I clean after every session, and of course w/ corrosive ammo - it gets cleaned immediately after shooting. I do admit - sometimes the SKS goes a couple of sessions without cleaning -they were designed to be dirty. :)

·
Administrator
143,580 Posts
My self defense carry firearm is always immaculate.

My other firearms I tend to let go until I can clean them all at one time or when I have time to do the job right.

When I say "let go" I do not mean that I just let them sit in the safe filthy.
I usually run an oily patch through the bore...plus quickly wipe fingerprints off of exterior surfaces & then I Zip Loc Bag them with a small amount of this powder added in the bag called "Vapor Phase Inhibitor" It was available (at one time) from Brownell's (I don't know if they still sell it) I bought a couple of cans many years ago & it lasts forever.

I guess that is one advantage of having more than a few guns to shoot...I can wait to clean them all at one time and do a perfect job of it.

One advantage of using the Vapor Phase Inhibitor is that I am able to "bag" a firearm dirty (know in advance that it won't rust or corrode) & then just take it out and run a few clean, dry patches through the bore & shoot it again a few weeks or a month later.

It prevents rust & pitting and works perfectly (for me)

My Wife is extremely "Solvent Sensitive" & so when I clean ~ I have to clean outdoors. I have let some firearms go from late fall till spring without any problems whatsoever.

·
Super Moderator
19,004 Posts
After each range session and usually once a week on the lint/debris from carrying.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Mine get cleaned after every trip to the range-if I don't, it bugs me until I do it.

·
Super Moderator
22,003 Posts
Field strip and clean usually after each range session, detail strip every 5th or 6th (carry guns).

·
Registered
813 Posts
I guess I fall in the majority; I clean after ach shooting session

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
I clean mine after every range trip. I clean my GLOCK 26 even if I only put 20 rounds through it, like this weekend. And now I won't be able to sleep well tonight and I'll have to clean it asap. I was almost able to put it out of my mind, thanks.

·
Registered
2,087 Posts
After every shooting session and a weekly quick clean from whatever it picks up from being carried.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Gun yanking on Gringo's shirt tail: "Clean me! Clean Me! When ya gonna CLEAN ME?!"

I clean after every session, no matter how few rounds. Military thing I guess. Every few weeks if I haven't shot in a while.

Gringo said:
Mine get cleaned after every trip to the range-if I don't, it bugs me until I do it.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts