Defensive Carry banner

gun cleaning

3K views 26 replies 25 participants last post by  PatrioticRick 
#1 ·
i was just wondering what others are doing as far as gun cleaning.

after a set amount of rounds? set time periods regardless of rounds fired?................????.

i like to clean mine after every trip to the range and have always done so. my uncle always comments on how often i clean my pistols so i just wonder what the masses are doing.

#2 ·
I don't clean mine as often as I should but when I do, I detail strip my 1911's then inspect, clean and lube every part and every spring individually.

#3 ·
They get a cleaning after every trip to the range, whether they need it or not. My 1911 gets detail stripped after every third trip, just a field strip for the other two. One of those quirks the Army left me with, now I can't leave a firearm dirty for more than a day or two.

#5 ·
I clean mine after each use. I will also sit down and clean the ones that have not seen use in a while. Just to say hello and let them know I care.
Mike

#7 ·
Handguns - since I shoot a lot of cast lead, I clean after every session which usually amounts to a couple hundred rounds. If I just shoot a box I'll usually forego cleaning.

Rifles - I clean after every session, and of course w/ corrosive ammo - it gets cleaned immediately after shooting. I do admit - sometimes the SKS goes a couple of sessions without cleaning -they were designed to be dirty. :)

#9 ·
After every trip to the range. Skipped that once, wife had a FTF, <high pitched voice> "Never skipped it again ".:twak:

#10 ·
My self defense carry firearm is always immaculate.

My other firearms I tend to let go until I can clean them all at one time or when I have time to do the job right.

When I say "let go" I do not mean that I just let them sit in the safe filthy.
I usually run an oily patch through the bore...plus quickly wipe fingerprints off of exterior surfaces & then I Zip Loc Bag them with a small amount of this powder added in the bag called "Vapor Phase Inhibitor" It was available (at one time) from Brownell's (I don't know if they still sell it) I bought a couple of cans many years ago & it lasts forever.

I guess that is one advantage of having more than a few guns to shoot...I can wait to clean them all at one time and do a perfect job of it.

One advantage of using the Vapor Phase Inhibitor is that I am able to "bag" a firearm dirty (know in advance that it won't rust or corrode) & then just take it out and run a few clean, dry patches through the bore & shoot it again a few weeks or a month later.

It prevents rust & pitting and works perfectly (for me)

My Wife is extremely "Solvent Sensitive" & so when I clean ~ I have to clean outdoors. I have let some firearms go from late fall till spring without any problems whatsoever.

#17 ·
I clean mine after every range trip. I clean my GLOCK 26 even if I only put 20 rounds through it, like this weekend. And now I won't be able to sleep well tonight and I'll have to clean it asap. I was almost able to put it out of my mind, thanks.

#20 ·
Gun yanking on ******'s shirt tail: "Clean me! Clean Me! When ya gonna CLEAN ME?!"

I clean after every session, no matter how few rounds. Military thing I guess. Every few weeks if I haven't shot in a while.

****** said:
Mine get cleaned after every trip to the range-if I don't, it bugs me until I do it.

#21 ·
I try to clean after every range trip. If not, I never go without cleaning after more than 2 trips to the range. My typical range session has me throwing roughly 200 rounds downrange with my carry piece and maybe another 150 or more with the .22 for fun.

#22 ·
wishicould,

This is the one time I'm going to advise anyone to ignore many of the post of senior Forum members and other experienced individuals.

After every range session, no matter how many or few rounds you fired, clean that weapon as soon as you possibly can.

Carry your firearm as if your life depends upon it!

Anytime you decide to "let it slide just this once," you set yourself up to let that become a habit. And that is a bad habit to have.

mm

#25 ·
Like most of the folks have said above, holds true for me. Mine get cleaned & lubed after each shooting. The ones that will sit for a while get a periodic field stripping and a once over.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.