Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking into a 9mm for pocket carry and was primarily focused on the Kahr CM9 (and still am for pocket carry). As sometimes happens with me, an I assume with some of you as well, in the process of researching one gun, a different gun catches your attention and the fever takes hold. Well that has happened to me again darn it. And the cause of the fever is the XDs 9mm. As I have the Kahr CW9 already and have for several years, I wasn't really looking for a single stack 9 before now but in talking to some people and having it suggested to me to look at for the pocket carry application I have looked at it more and I really like the XDs 9. Not for pocket carry because it is a little too big for me to pocket carry as I'm 5 foot 8 and not a real big framed guy but, for a really good CCW gun, this thing really looks awesome.

So now I am actually thinking of seeing if I can trade my 4 inch two tone XD 40 for an XDs 9. I rarely is ever carry the XD 40 as it is just too big to conceal easily on me and my Glock 23 holds one more round in the mag and is smaller so the XD 40 just lives in the safe.

I'm not sure I've ever heard a bad thing about the XDs 9 either. I've watched some good video reviews and tests and so far, I'm not seeing anyone really ding the gun at all.

So another case of gun fever has set in. I'm convinced it is never cured, just goes into temporary remission only to come back from time to time....

·
Registered
3,892 Posts
I was looking for another J frame I didn't need but wanted. Now I am closing in on a Kel Tec Sub 2000 that takes Glock mags.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
The only thing that seems to temper the gun fever is the chilling look I get from the accounting department ever time I utter the words 'new' and 'gun' together :embarassed:

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think at my LGS they were running @ $470 for the all black, thats a pretty good price IMO.

I really like the two tone look on the XD pistols. I would rather have a two tone XDs but I'd take an all black version.

·
Super Moderator
18,428 Posts
Gun fever is chronic and it is terminal. Inadequate sources of funding only treats the symptoms. There is no cure.

My brother-in-law likes the Kahr line, including that 9mm. He has most of them. He's had good results for the most part. Had to send his early CM9 back to Kahr for some warranty work on a barrel peening issue, but it's been fine ever since and he puts lots of rounds through it.

·
Registered
11,499 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The only thing that seems to temper the gun fever is the chilling look I get from the accounting department ever time I utter the words 'new' and 'gun' together :embarassed:
What is so dangerous for our finances is that my wife is as big a fan of guns as I am. Last year I opened the safe to get my carry gun out and there was a Rossi snub nose .357 in there that for the life of me I could not remember when we bought. I pulled it out and walked to the kitchen and asked her if she remembered when we bought it and her response was "Oh! Did I forget to tell you I bought that last week?".

·
Registered
6,662 Posts
I like mine just fine. It has always worked perfectly and is very easy to carry IWB (or any other way - but not pocket carry.)

The trigger ain't the greatest but that's easy to correct, and it improves a lot with usage anyway. Actually, it's pretty Glock like, which is what I don't like about it.

It's heavy but has a very nice, short reset. Initially, mine also had a lot of stacking but that's mostly gone away.

The XDS is a good little gun, in my view.

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I really like the two tone look on the XD pistols. I would rather have a two tone XDs but I'd take an all black version.
Lucky for you they still make both.:image035: And if you really crazy about the two tone Powder River offers a stainless extended grip safety, a stainless mag release, and stainless pin set. Just FYI

·
Registered
3,939 Posts
I'm not crazy about Kahr at all, but I want a CM9 one day. I don't know if it gets much smaller than that.

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
What is so dangerous for our finances is that my wife is as big a fan of guns as I am. Last year I opened the safe to get my carry gun out and there was a Rossi snub nose .357 in there that for the life of me I could not remember when we bought. I pulled it out and walked to the kitchen and asked her if she remembered when we bought it and her response was "Oh! Did I forget to tell you I bought that last week?".
I'd say 'marry her' but obviously that'd be redundant...

And in deference to honesty, I've got a great wife as well. She may not be as guncentric as I am but she did suggest that I go ahead and pick up a new rifle for Father's day seeing as how I wanted to get it before all the craziness started.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
I sold my XDS 9mm for $375. I wish it would have gone to you........

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Mine has a problem with certain ammo, particularly Perfecta. Shell sticks in the chamber. Otherwise, it's fine. Good luck with that fever.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I'm sure glad the "finance department" around here likes guns, and likes me having them even more...and I've got the fever. I picked up a G30SF last month, and have a G19 on the way. (This being Kalifornia, I've gotta wait 30 days don'tcha know...).

The XDs is not my favorite tool in the shed, but it does get the job done. It is fine for carry. I got a nice little Crimson Trace for it, shoots fine, no real issues. BUT, I don't like to put many rounds thru it at the range. My son in law likes shooting as much or more than me, and until he had his own gun, he used mine when we'd head to the range. Being the generous FIL that I am, I let him shoot what he wanted to shoot, and I shot the other...always the XDs. For whatever reason, whenever I put a few hundred rounds thru her, my hands get kinda sore, which doesn't seem to happen with my other tools n toys. So, now that SIL has his own G19, p938, and LCP, I use my other guns more, and the XDs less. Still carry her though, when I leave this wonderful state that MAY issue a CCW permit to me if they think I've go a damn good enough reason to be afraid for my life.

·
Registered
4,404 Posts
My wife has been carrying ths XDS for almost 2 years now. As far as I'm concerned its a great little pistol. She throws the 9round extended mag in her purse .

1 - 20 of 24 Posts