Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Being from Illinois I am spending a lot of time thinking about the laundry list of gun free zones in the current bill. All of us would like to carry our firearms everywhere we go, but are frequently reminded of places we CAN'T go with our side arm. We all know the reasons why the "left" loves to extend gun free zones far and wide, that is not my question at all. My questions are:

1. Are there legitimate reasons/criteria for enforcing a gun free zone?

2. Is there any places that you believe should be gun free zones?

I have some opinions, but want to see what everyone has to say first.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
The Moon should be a gun free zone. Perhaps the liberal progressives should start a new colony up there.

·
Registered
345 Posts
For the most part I think that gun free zones are supported by the same BS, fear-based reasons as are all anti-gun laws. It comes down to trust....if a police officer can be "trusted" to carry a firearm in a certain place then I think a CCW holder should be afforded the same trust. The only logical reason that I can see to ban firearms in particular places would be if the weapon itself was the danger, as opposed to the person carrying the gun. Examples are hard to think of but the first thing that comes to mind would be a prison. I've never been to a prison but from movies that I've seen I believe visiting LEO's have to check their gun in with security before entering. This is obviously because a prison is full of people who would literally kill to get their hands on a gun and the risk is too great.

Possibly airplanes? Just because a NG could bring down the whole plane. Every other thought I have involves some sort of scientific facility where there are "things" like large magnets or whatever, things that make the gun itself unsafe. Then again I guess in these examples its not the guns but the ammo that pose the risks.

Its an interesting question. Can anyone think of any "logical" places where guns should not be allowed?

·
Premium Member
9,427 Posts
I'll jump in. Because I'm tired but I don't want to go to bet yet. (The persuasiveness of my reasoning will thus be at a level commensurate with my fatigued mind).

Yes. I understand why some zones should be gun free.

There are some venues in which are addressed matters that stir the strongest of emotions. Courthouses for one. Do you really want a distraught father, not in a right frame of mind, packing heat while a jury reads off a "Not Guilty" verdict in the trial of a perp that clearly murdered his daughter?

Then there are some places that deal with not the nicest of people or the most stable. Prisons, jails, and mental hospitals. No need for visitors to have weapons, especially when visiting people held against their will.

Places that house sensitive information or extremely dangerous implements. I'm talking stuff like state secrets, nuclear weapons, and "that kind of stuff."

This is nothing new. It's akin (but not the same as) limits on free speech.

Courthouses.
Prisons.
Jails.
Government weapons "depots" (Just like in the movies, I'm sure - with the white sign in red lettering: "Waring: Nuclear Weapons Stored Here! Use of Lethal Force Authorized."). For obvious reasons.
The Arkham Asylum for the Criminally Insane.
Airplanes.
And anybody's private property if they so wish it to be.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I have no problem with gun-free zones, IF the authority/proprietor supplies adequate security to compensate for the lack of my own weapon. The problem, of course, is that most don't. I have no problem with a courthouse - everybody goes through a metal detector just like me, and there are armed bailiffs and LEOs around. School, college, restaurant, church? Unlikely. IMHO, if you're telling someone the can come on your property but only without a gun, you're assuming the responsibility of keeping them safe. We recognize this when it comes to safety rails and trip hazards, but somehow not when it comes to physical attack.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I don't complain about GFZs where I am reasonably assured everyone else in gun free as well. This means places with "actual" security, courthouse, jail, prison. I have been to a nuclear power plant, and while perimeter security appeared to be serious, once inside I was told there are no weapons, firearms, outside food/drink, drugs/alcohol, etc allowed on premise. But there were no metal detectors, search of my person or bag I brought with me.

While most people "trust" the police, I live in Illinois, and I have come to believe I can't trust anyone. Although I was in a local police department for fingerprinting (completely voluntary I swear) the officer removed his side arm and locked it up while assisting me. That said he only locked up his service pistol, no BUG.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Does anyone know the reasoning behind Post Offices being GFZs? I have thought long and hard for a legit reason for this, and have failed.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Pretty good PEF. I'm gonna cheat off of your homework and go with that too.

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
Does anyone know the reasoning behind Post Offices being GFZs? I have thought long and hard for a legit reason for this, and have failed.
It is simply due to the fact that they are covered under a federal law stating that we cannot carry in federal buildings.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It is simply due to the fact that they are covered under a federal law stating that we cannot carry in federal buildings.
So simply being a "federal" building makes it a GFZ, got to love blanketing far reaching statements like that. I find it interesting that most acceptable GFZs will have armed security.

·
Super Moderator
19,236 Posts
For the most part I think that gun free zones are supported by the same BS, fear-based reasons as are all anti-gun laws. It comes down to trust....if a police officer can be "trusted" to carry a firearm in a certain place then I think a CCW holder should be afforded the same trust. The only logical reason that I can see to ban firearms in particular places would be if the weapon itself was the danger, as opposed to the person carrying the gun. Examples are hard to think of but the first thing that comes to mind would be a prison. I've never been to a prison but from movies that I've seen I believe visiting LEO's have to check their gun in with security before entering. This is obviously because a prison is full of people who would literally kill to get their hands on a gun and the risk is too great.

Possibly airplanes? Just because a NG could bring down the whole plane. Every other thought I have involves some sort of scientific facility where there are "things" like large magnets or whatever, things that make the gun itself unsafe. Then again I guess in these examples its not the guns but the ammo that pose the risks.

Its an interesting question. Can anyone think of any "logical" places where guns should not be allowed?
Another of the misconceptions fostered by hollyweird just the same as every car that catches fire explodes in a mushroom cloud rivaling the bombs dropped on Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Reactions: sdprof

·
Registered
698 Posts
It could go through the pilot's brain.

·
Super Moderator
19,236 Posts
What is the worst that could happen if a bullet was fired from inside a plane that was at its cruising altitude?
You will get a loud whistle and the outflow valve will close slightly to equalize the pressure. I have had leaks on the visor on the C-5 that took 3 blankets to quite down but there was no problem with maintaining pressurization.

·
Super Moderator
19,236 Posts
It could go through the pilot's brain.
Some of the pilots I’ve flown with, no problem. Don’t forget you still have a co-pilot and on some airplanes there is also a Flight Engineer who in the commercial world is also a pilot.

Reactions: mprp

·
Banned
4,084 Posts
Being from Illinois I am spending a lot of time thinking about the laundry list of gun free zones in the current bill. All of us would like to carry our firearms everywhere we go, but are frequently reminded of places we CAN'T go with our side arm. We all know the reasons why the "left" loves to extend gun free zones far and wide, that is not my question at all. My questions are:

I have some opinions, but want to see what everyone has to say first.
Hello and welcome to the forum and to carrying a concealed weapon...or at least considering doing so.

You will get a wide range of opinions here...if you are new to the ideas re: gun-free zones and private property, you will find that your own stance will evolve over time. Good luck on your journey...it is very worthwhile.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
I don't complain about GFZs where I am reasonably assured everyone else in gun free as well. This means places with "actual" security, courthouse, jail, prison. I have been to a nuclear power plant, and while perimeter security appeared to be serious, once inside I was told there are no weapons, firearms, outside food/drink, drugs/alcohol, etc allowed on premise. But there were no metal detectors, search of my person or bag I brought with me.

While most people "trust" the police, I live in Illinois, and I have come to believe I can't trust anyone. Although I was in a local police department for fingerprinting (completely voluntary I swear) the officer removed his side arm and locked it up while assisting me. That said he only locked up his service pistol, no BUG.
Believe me, if anyone tries anything at a nuclear power plant (at least in the States), they will be stopped, HARD. There are some places where the security is so good, you can't see it, and that's one of them.

·
Registered
10,328 Posts
Some of the pilots I’ve flown with, no problem. Don’t forget you still have a co-pilot and on some airplanes there is also a Flight Engineer who in the commercial world is also a pilot.
Good point, although I don't think I'd say "no problem," exactly. :smile:

1 - 20 of 56 Posts