Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Saturday I was running through my usual drills. After going through the paces with my S&W 65-2 I changed holsters to run the same drills with my Taurus 605.

The very first time I draw, I watch my revolver fly up though the air and land 3 feet in front of me.
I have never had this happen to me before. I have fumbled guns when I am trying out a new holster or method of carry but have never outright thrown one when trying to draw.

I was using my Whitehat Max Tuck, I was just carrying IWB (not tucked). I use the holster and gun all of the time and they account for about 70-75% of my carry.

When I switched holsters I did not do any practice draws that I usually do to ensure that the gun and holster sit properly and that nothing snags or binds, because I was in a hurry.

What I think happened was that when I drew the first time the gun came out of the holster faster than my S&W 65-2 had done. One because the Whitehat is a much better holster than the cheap nylon IWB that I carry the S&W in and two that the S&W has a full 4” barrel.

Of course after this I spent much more time working on my draw and didn’t have any problems because I was hyper vigilant.
The lesson I learned was that there is a very good reason I do a couple of practice draws every time that I strap on a gun. And that I need to do them whenever I switch out guns or holsters.

Reactions: Rock and Glock

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I do excatly that. I've fumbled a few times my self. Chalk it up to a lesson learned [ thats what I do] Hopefully it landed on carpet.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Count yourself blessed. At least this didn't happen in front of a very zealous NCO. You'd have spent the rest of Saturday doing pushups, frog walks, low crawls, and flutter kicks with your weapon duct-taped to your hands.

On the other hand, it's one heck of an exercise program.

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Super Moderator
19,011 Posts
Changing up guns can help to make things more difficult. I try to stay close to the same holster, grip angle and style of gun just to avoid mistakes. Hope you gun is ok

·
Premium Member
13,765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Changing up guns can help to make things more difficult. I try to stay close to the same holster, grip angle and style of gun just to avoid mistakes. Hope you gun is ok
It's fine, just got a little dusty. I carry revolvers because the manual of arms are the same. I think that it was the barrel length and the fact that I switched after shooting the 65 for about 30 minutes straight.

·
Registered
6,625 Posts
Keep up the good work! So you had an off day, happens to everyone in all situations. Be proud of yourself, you are doing more than a lot of people out there in the RW! :smile:

Reactions: Snub44

·
Banned
3,284 Posts
Say five John Brownings and absolve yourself from your sins before the sun rises again. Sleep well. Fumble all you'd like in your dreams, but get a handle on things in the real world.

·
Registered
6,971 Posts
...probably the weight difference...and another reason for a BUG...we're hoomin...we goof...
On Saturday I was running through my usual drills. After going through the paces with my S&W 65-2 I changed holsters to run the same drills with my Taurus 605.

The very first time I draw, I watch my revolver fly up though the air and land 3 feet in front of me.
I have never had this happen to me before. I have fumbled guns when I am trying out a new holster or method of carry but have never outright thrown one when trying to draw.

I was using my Whitehat Max Tuck, I was just carrying IWB (not tucked). I use the holster and gun all of the time and they account for about 70-75% of my carry.

When I switched holsters I did not do any practice draws that I usually do to ensure that the gun and holster sit properly and that nothing snags or binds, because I was in a hurry.

What I think happened was that when I drew the first time the gun came out of the holster faster than my S&W 65-2 had done. One because the Whitehat is a much better holster than the cheap nylon IWB that I carry the S&W in and two that the S&W has a full 4” barrel.

Of course after this I spent much more time working on my draw and didn’t have any problems because I was hyper vigilant.
The lesson I learned was that there is a very good reason I do a couple of practice draws every time that I strap on a gun. And that I need to do them whenever I switch out guns or holsters.

·
Registered
9,342 Posts
Dropped my gun on carpeted bedroom floor, thought my wife was going to dive under the bed.... I had to explain to her ONE the manual safety was on, and TWO RUGER has an internal safety that protects from discharge from dropping, I guess it works.

Reactions: Snub44
1 - 13 of 13 Posts