·
Banned
7,033 Posts
How is the goernemnt involved?

Reactions: Dan060

·
Super Moderator
18,837 Posts
Of course someone in government is bound to take a peek at this, if only to verify their own tracking.

Exposure of inanity such as this is the best thing for it.

It may be seen that a few stalwart citizens are beginning to register comments about such silliness.

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
He didn't say they are. He said they can sit back and let the people do their job for them.
You are correct, my mistake for posting with out coffee first!

·
Banned
7,033 Posts
If I were on FB and got "marked" I would mark every other house in the neighborhood. Now figure it out, potential burglars.
That's funny. How many neighborhoods do we represent here? We could populate alot of the US LOL

Reactions: nedrgr21

·
Registered
10,312 Posts
How is the goernemnt involved?
Actually it's a project of the University of California San Diego, which like most universities is a wholly-owned subsidiary of the government.

Somebody else mentioned this the day after it became available, so I looked into it, and fired off a message to the NRA to make sure they know. Any Android users, feel free to complain to Google Play about it - it clearly violates their content policies with regards to non-public information.

Reactions: myrkr

·
Registered
2,220 Posts
From looking at the comments on the Facebook page, it didn't look like the app was receiving a warm welcome. Tennessee now has a law that makes handgun permit information unavailable to the general public. So, at least in my state, if you don't tell and you don't show; then nobody but you should know.

As far as the government goes, apparently they already know everything about you anyway...well except for guys who set off bombs at marathons, or shoot up movie theaters or schools. They haven't figured out how to stop stuff like that yet.

·
Registered
3,196 Posts
In Montana (well, except for Bozeman and Missoula) it would be far easier to mark the homes that did NOT have firearms. :image035:

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
I just reported this site to Facebook and the fact that they are posting unverified information and could result in harm done to persons in the marked area's. I believe this will be in violation of Facebook policy.

More reports are necessary.....go to the page then click on the wheel/action tab and then click on report.

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
I just reported this site to Facebook and the fact that they are posting unverified information and could result in harm done to persons in the marked area's. I believe this will be in violation of Facebook policy.

More reports are necessary.....go to the page then click on the wheel/action tab and then click on report.
As far as I'm aware, none of the information is actually on facebook, so doubt that'll have any effect. The facebook page is just a marketing tool for the app itself. I could be wrong.

·
Banned
12,068 Posts
If I were on FB and got "marked" I would mark every other house in the neighborhood. Now figure it out, potential burglars.

One mo excellent reason to NOT Be on FB!!

·
Banned
7,033 Posts

One mo excellent reason to NOT Be on FB!!
The way I understand it it has nothng to do with FB. It is an app. FB is in the discussion becuase they have a FB page.

Reactions: 65108

·
Registered
110 Posts
Hehehe, so how does that work in places here like Wyoming, the Dakotas, Montana, Utah, and well, let's face it, most every state (other than Kolorado) west of the Mississippi and east of the Sierra Nevada mountains where the home owner WITHOUT a gun is the odd duck here? :image035:

·
Premium Member
37,021 Posts
I went to the actual site with the intention of marking my home location, along with the annotation that residents of this location are always carrying the only guns they own, but I then discovered that it is an Android app, a platform my electronic devices do not support.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
How is the government involved?

The way I understand it it has nothing to do with FB. It is an app. FB is in the discussion because they have a FB page.
It is marketed by Google Play see link below, developed by The Walkingtools Laboratory at UCSD and UNIFESP.

Well it maybe old news but our Government is mining data from Google, FaceBook, etc. to monitor us using bogus warrants (you maybe guilt of something, so we should get all the data!). I'm sure this data is easily assessable by King "O" minions! Just like the IRS scandal!

This is another Janet In-Comp-A-Tono's "see something - tell an exaggerate something!" Of course with their history, i.e., Boston, Fort Hood, etc. it may be years before they come for your guns!

Here is another link: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=edu.ucsd.visarts.walkingtools.gungeomarker

Please notice the Title: Geolocate Dangerous Guns and Owners

·
Registered
50 Posts
Well the good news is the app is trending in the right direction. Less than 1.5 stars and the overwhelming majority of reviews are 1 star. With that kind of rating the app won't last long and at worst will be used by very, very few people.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

1 - 20 of 89 Posts