Defensive Carry banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,044 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In more ways than one. Spent time with my Father and brother hunting the opening weekend. A good time was had. My brother and I each got a yearling buck. He got a spike that failed to a become a fork (4 point) buck. I got a non-typical 3 pointer. My Dad did not get anything, but he won't shoot small bucks any more which is fine. Unfortunately for us, the rut ended shortly before the gun season began, and no one was seeing the bigger bucks.

The little guy came in at noon on opening day. He was browsing on buds and eventually stepped up on a small hump at 20 yards from me. Where he stood made my shot almost level instead of at a downward angle. Instead of getting the heart, I got both lungs. He did not run far and went down in the cutover area I was hunting. He died in a bunch of raspberry bushes, and I had to drag him to a spot to gut him and get a picture. The 64 grain 22-250 powerpoint round got the job done with minimal damage to the deer itself.

Having had no luck the last three years in the gun season, I will admit having success was a nice change. I'm no trophy hunter, just a meat hunter. So I prefer shooting the yearling or 2 1/2 year old bucks because they still taste good without having to be made into jerky.

Grass Terrestrial plant Twig Snout Plant

·
Super Moderator
25,221 Posts
Congratulations! What fun, to be with family!

Reactions: airslot

·
Registered
4,371 Posts
Congrats on a great hunt ; )
H/D

·
Registered
21,979 Posts
Congratulations! Time well spent all the way around!

·
Premium Member
7,116 Posts
Congratulations. About that thread title, thought you found your holy grail firearm. :D

·
Registered
12,469 Posts
Always nice to have success. Congratulations!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts