Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we are planning a vacation trip into the New England states, MA, NH, RI ME. We plan on pulling the RV. So is it legal to have a gun, probably a 18" pump, in the RV? No gun in the vehicle at all. Is this trouble?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Out of site, out of mind, don't tell anyone you have it, research and find out what the laws are in each state.
Yep! What he said^^^

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
I drive up to Massachusetts and Maine in my RV every few years. I carry my firearms in my RV. I avoid NJ, Washington DC, CT and NYC on the way up. Most jurisdictions recognize Safe Journey laws, but they no longer apply if you stop for the night in that state. You need to plan your stops and be familiar with the laws in the different jurisdictions. Be aware that some counties, towns, and cities have their own laws that don't necessary match the State's laws. If in doubt, email the local police and get an answer and keep the response with you. A good source of information is Handgunlaw.us

I obey the speed limits and don't cause problems and have never been stopped.

·
Banned
2,094 Posts
Massachusetts is NOT a gun friendly state for anyone. I know a Brattleboro cop who can't even own an AR15, if that gives you any indication...

Reactions: Rhinoman

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
That's ALL "Indian Territory" to this Kentuckian. While forum rules forbid willful suggestions of operating outside the law, I don't KNOW those (various) laws. Might check an RV forum as your unique quiz might be more specifically addressed? There are domicile laws, weapon capacity restrictions, etc., etc. (even while on wheels). I's hate to see a member in a legal JACKPOT because I...guessed. :nono:

·
Premium Member
1,981 Posts
Massachusetts is NOT a gun friendly state for anyone. I know a Brattleboro cop who can't even own an AR15, if that gives you any indication...
Rhode Island is also no friend to gun owners..
Unload, secure (trigger lock, etc.), make sure all your lights are working, obey posted speed limits and other laws... you know the drill.

·
Registered
1,868 Posts
My RV is an extension of my home. So here in my home state I maintain the same level of ordinance; P226 w 3 x 18 rnd mags and 20" Mossberg 500 x9 shot tube.
No one knows they're on board but me and the Mrs.
As for traveling through other states with firearms it's always best to check those states firearms laws before hitting the road.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Yep, I have permits in three states which give my right to carry in about 35 states and the states that I can't carry I don't go there or I carry by law, put it in my rv unloaded, and when I travel through I will stop and load up.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I will look into the individual state laws once we have our exact plans finished. I fully agree to NOT draw undue attention to yourself, like speeding, or the like. But things happen.

It seems if for whatever reason I have to address a cop, they run my name, they will find I have a permit in my state. Depending on the cop and/or state, that may trigger a full search of vehicle and RV. Who knows? A pump may not be as "offensive" as a handgun. Maybe.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
That's ALL "Indian Territory" to this Kentuckian. While forum rules forbid willful suggestions of operating outside the law, I don't KNOW those (various) laws. Might check an RV forum as your unique quiz might be more specifically addressed? There are domicile laws, weapon capacity restrictions, etc., etc. (even while on wheels). I's hate to see a member in a legal JACKPOT because I...guessed. :nono:
NH, VY, and Maine are three of the most gun friendly, self defense friendly states you will find in the USA. Mass and RI are two of the worst. My motorhome is my home away from home and I protect it and my family as one and that's all I'll say about that :wave:

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Reactions: ghost tracker

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
Making a delayed RV trip to visit to visit the son in Charlottesville, Virginia, was supposed to leave for there come Monday, but illness of my sons FIL has caused us to postpone. Also going to visit the Vietnam Memorial Wall while I'm still able to do so. I'm either going to leave the guns with the son if I decide to do the RV park north of DC, but am looking as some nearby parks that are located in Virginia. Want to spend two to three days visiting DC. I've laid out the route, and have been checking each state to make sure I don't violate any laws.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have read in some RV forums that the state of Maryland uses licence plant readers connected to the Florida (my state) concealed carry database and can tell which cars driving by have concealed carry permits owners. They then look for a reason to stop the vehicle. RVer's talked about large fines and long searches. Seems unfair to me. I mentioned it to my state representative to try and get it stopped on the Florida end.

·
Super Moderator
19,875 Posts
My RV is an extension of my home. So here in my home state I maintain the same level of ordinance; P226 w 3 x 18 rnd mags and 20" Mossberg 500 x9 shot tube.
No one knows they're on board but me and the Mrs.
As for traveling through other states with firearms it's always best to check those states firearms laws before hitting the road.
Doesn't apply in most northeastern states.

·
Registered
4,473 Posts
I will look into the individual state laws once we have our exact plans finished. I fully agree to NOT draw undue attention to yourself, like speeding, or the like. But things happen.

It seems if for whatever reason I have to address a cop, they run my name, they will find I have a permit in my state. Depending on the cop and/or state, that may trigger a full search of vehicle and RV. Who knows? A pump may not be as "offensive" as a handgun. Maybe.
I think it might be smarter to consult the laws in those states/areas before you formulate your exact plans. That way you can avoid changing your plans later.

Reactions: Rock and Glock
1 - 19 of 19 Posts