Defensive Carry banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I started my new job on Monday and as soon as I could, I got a copy of the employee manual (Called the “Best Practices” guide.) I flipped to the Security section and was speed reading to the find the dreaded words “Weapons not allowed on the premises.”

Geeze.:frown:

Now I came in to work that day with my gun locked under the back seat of my Jeep.
Tuesday I decided to leave it home because the lock under the back seat is a cable lock, and the air conditioning is not working on these 90+ degrees days. (For a 10 minute commute, that hot box is hard to take, so I leave the windows down, and just don’t want to leave so little between any thief and my “precious.”) I felt naked all day. Like a bad dream. :embarassed:
Today, I am taken by my coworker and trainer (A fine young woman) to meet one of the engineers I will be working closely with. As the conversation is winding down he asks her “been to the range lately?”

OMG!!!

She said “No, I’m still thinking about that .357 though. I just don’t know if I like the re-coil. I still shoot my Walther though.” :hand10:

I don’t remember much else about today at work, except that we (about a dozen people in the office) will spend a (typical) extended lunch at the Cherry Creek Range this coming Monday. :banana:

I did ask about that Weapons policy in the Best Practices manual, and they said “It says THAT?” “The CEO brought in his NEW .50 cal a few weeks back and left it in the meeting room for anybody to come by and admire.” “I wouldn’t worry about that manual.” :image035:

Now I will pay attention to “that manual,” because the head of HR is known to not like guns. :scruntiny:

Nuff said. :35:

I’m getting the AC fixed ASAP, and ordering a gun safe to bolt down under the seat. :yup:

Did I tell anybody, I LOVE MY NEW JOB!!? :urla9ub: (What Gun issues?)

Oh yah, several CCW’s there too.
I told one coworker about this forum. (I’ll tell the rest tomorrow. I just hope I can keep my mind on my job now.):danceban: :danceban:

·
Registered
5,134 Posts
LOL glad things are looking up for you

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
Sounds like the perfect place to work!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well ya know, I just got to thinking. I hope people here don't take it as gloating in case you have an employer like the one that fired me a few months back. (Too many of 'em don't take to guns at all.)

This was just one surprise I wasn't expecting.

So pinch me!

·
Premium Member
25,483 Posts
Elk - that sort of surprise - I could live with :smilez:

Great to hear and hope it all continues thus.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks all.
I'll let you know how the "Lunch Shoot out" goes.

·
Registered
7,586 Posts
You know...I wonder if the CEO knows the policy?? If you get a chance similiar to what was described (i.e. CEO bringing in his .50cal), you may want to ask him about having the manual changed. Either delete the "no weapons" phrase (probably won't happen) or replace with "No illegal weapons/Illegal weapons prohibited"

Just a thought.

Mike in VA

·
Registered
988 Posts
Bonus! You like the new job AND you can carry! Not to mention that you have like-minded peers who enjoy the same. :hand10:

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
MarkM said:
Sounds like a good job so far. Any vacancies? :wink:

Yup!
They're hiring like crazy right now.
If you are into designing or building a new technology general aviation airplane or personal jet.
No aluminum & rivets here, it's all carbon fiber composites.

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
craig45 said:
i'm really lucky.

i have my mail order ammo delivered to my work.:smile:
LOL!

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have that specific wording now

The manual says:
"No weapons, as defined by law, are allowed on premises."

But, on Monday, it will be the safest parking lot on the airport!:35:

·
Registered
6,741 Posts
Nice stroke of luck on that one. Glad it worked out for ya.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I would like to know where you work. I live near the People's Republic of Boulder and you cannot even say the work "gun" without getting some sort of weird look. BUT I was asked to carry at church all the time by one of the staff there. Seems that they have had some "security" issues there and don't mind having a few, well trained and discreet people that are armed there all the time. How about that?

Jess

·
Registered
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Update on the lunch "shootout"

I lost count on how many people showed up. People from the office were coming & going for a few hours.
I don't know if there was anybody at the range who was not from the company. Pistols AND shotguns a blazing.

Only had one hour though, and with sharing a lane with one other coworker, I only got off 100 rounds of 45. I did, however, get to try his .357 wheelie. Now that is impressive! (That .357 kicks more than I expected.) Very "comfortable" to shoot in .38. I think that is why my wife is interested in one.
Also tried out another coworkers Walther in .40. Nice gun! I'd talk my wife into one of those!:image035:

After a week in this office, I get the impression that this group works hard, and then plays hard too. (Lotta picnic celebrations & the like.)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts