Defensive Carry banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is a response to a request from ccw9mm.

Firearms in South Africa are governed by the following regulations:

1. Firearms Control Act No 60 of 2000
  2. Dangerous Weapons Bill 37 of 2012

To own a firearm an individual must obtain the following:
  • Competency Certificate from an accredited training facility
  • License for specific firearm

Firearms regulations in South Africa prohibits anybody except Government bodies from
owning the following types of firearms:

• Any fully automatic firearm
  • Any gun, cannon, recoilless gun, mortar, light mortar or launcher manufactured
    to fire a rocket, grenade, self-propelled grenade, bomb or explosive device.
  • Any frame, body or barrel of such a fully automatic firearm, gun, cannon, recoilless gun, mortar, light mortar or launcher;
  • Any projectile or rocket manufactured to be discharged from a cannon, recoilless gun or mortar, or rocket launcher;
  • Any imitation of any device contemplated in any of the above

Furthermore the following is also prohibited:
Any firearm which

1. the mechanism of which has been altered so as to enable the discharging of more than one shot with a single depression of the trigger
  2. the calibre of which has been altered without the written permission of the Registrar
  3. the barrel length of which has been altered without the written permission of the Registrar
  4. the serial number or any other identifying mark of which has been changed or removed without the written permission of the Registrar

The firearms control act is extensive and covers everything you need to know in regards to legislation involving firearms in South Africa.

I have added a direct link to the full Firearms Control Act for those who want to download and read it at their own leisure.
I am no expert on the Act but it is pretty straight forward.

http://www.africacheck.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/firearms_control_act_60_of_20001.pdf

·
Registered
922 Posts
The last time I hunted RSA I "Legally" went into the bathroom of J-berg airport, took out my 9mm, extra clips, and holster from my luggage, and proceeded to legally carry for my stay. As far as I knew that was the only country in the world I could do that in.

·
Registered
527 Posts
The last time I hunted RSA I "Legally" went into the bathroom of J-berg airport, took out my 9mm, extra clips, and holster from my luggage, and proceeded to legally carry for my stay. As far as I knew that was the only country in the world I could do that in.
Do you carry a c96 mauser?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts