Defensive Carry banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been covered, but my search function doesn't seem to work and Google is not much help either.

So, the question is: do holster manufacturers position a gun consistently in holsters, or does position vary greatly?
By position, I'm referring to whether the Center Of Gravity rides above/at/below the beltline.
I don't have the opportunity to test a wide variety of holsters, but prefer on that has the gun's CG at or below the beltline to avoid that feeling that it wants to sag or flop around if i have to move faster than a walking pace.

Any insight out there?

As an example, notice where the first gun sits relative to the beltline, and where the second one is (yes, different guns, different holster material, etc., but it illustrates the mechanics of it).

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
Positions vary depending on the application.

Most times, OWB concealment holsters will have the CG above the belt...IWB seems to vary a little more due to the gun being covered by pants, as the gun will not hang below the cover garment, so it can hang more below the belt.

·
Registered
3,426 Posts
One of the reasons there are a gazillion holster makers is that gun owners want a gazillion different little things. Short answer, find a custom maker that will work with you. Longer answer, do a lot of research.

There is no industry wide rule on where a gun sits on the belt that I've come across. A maker may have one, but that's just their preference. I make mine slightly lower than the first pic in general. CG is important, but just one of the things that are considered when making a holster. Making a holster is, in large part, finding a balance between ideas like safety, security, comfort, and concealment. Some get sacrificed more than others to reach specific ends. CG gets sacrificed to concealment sometimes when folks want a high ride. But there are other ways to make sure it stays secure while riding high. A good holster should not sag or be floppy, even with a higher CG. A lower CG just makes that easier to accomplish.

Reactions: ShooterGranny

·
Registered
8,897 Posts
If you're wearing a good belt AND a good quality holster, center of gravity should not have much effect, provided the holster pulls the gun close to your body. I wear OWB holsters 95% of the time. With the gun pulled close to the body, it's not going to flop around because the pressure against your body helps to stabilize it, in addition to the stiffness of the belt and holster.

·
Registered
4,157 Posts
Most manufactures offer high ride and low ride holsters. A good belt will be a geat help in keeping the gun stable. If you have a light weight - high capacity firearm you have to accept the fact that the grip is going to be be heavy.
I use Beltman belts and FIST #12 holster on a wide variety of firearms and do not have a flopping problem.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
All the major IWB hybrid holsters can be adjusted for ride height.

·
Registered
417 Posts
Maybe this is just me but you might find that you won't be able to have just one holster that fits every application. I tend to have a few for each gun because it will depend on what I'm wearing, how much it prints, where I'm going etc. If you have a big store around like bass pro or gander mtn check with them as a lot of them will let you bring your gun in to check the fit of a holster. I've also bought ones on amazon since returning anything from them is very easy if I don't like it.

·
Premium Member
7,463 Posts
Not knowing your age or physical condition, I will toss this in: There are many of us with physical limitations as to arm movement, wrist bending ability, etc. I cannot use a high ride holster because I cannot draw from one. I also cannot use a holster with much, if any, cant. Each person needs to find the holsters that work for him/her - styles from which you can draw quickly and get the gun on target with no extra motion.

And, as others have said, there are the factors of inside/outside, how much retention is required because of physical activity, etc.

It may take some time and a few holsters, but you'll find what works for you.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts