Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wear Medium sized t-shirts on a daily basis, and I carry a full size 1911. The gun is definitely printing under the t-shirt, but it's difficult to tell that IT IS actually a gun.

Here's what I read from Florida Statutes 790.001: (2) “Concealed firearm” means any firearm, as defined in subsection (6), which is carried on or about a person in such a manner as to conceal the firearm from the ordinary sight of another person.

I do however understand the literal meaning of that. But could someone please elaborate on how does it really work? Especially regarding LEOs spotting the print and so on.

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Someone from Florida will pipe in, but the folks I know there said it cannot show ... and print in any way. I imagine it depends upon the jurisdiction, as there are at least a couple of counties with non-pro gun carry Sheriffs / Chiefs.

What bothers me is, that people have often mis-identified a case I have on my belt that I keep my cell phone in as a gun. They would swear it was a gun.... right up to the point I pulled up my shirt and showed them it was my phone. My gun was like you describe ... on the other side and has never been identified as a gun.

I've had people who know guns, know I carry and so do they, come up and laugh ... saying ... " I know where you gun is" and point at my phone under my shirt. To them, I lift my shirt up again .... and they are shocked it was not my gun. Then they look me over and ask where it is .... and to me, it's obvious where it is.

I think 'printing' laws are mostly out of date, and absurd................. because from my experience people can't really ID a gun most times, even when printing badly..... it's an assumption.

Reactions: Doghandler

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Not certain how the exact law wording is written but I seem to remember that the pistol has to be concealed to the degree that it cannot be reasonably or quickly recognized as a firearm. However, Florida changed their law to protect licensed carriers from accidental exposure so that they are not "brandishing".

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
The law that makes it illegal to open carry was amended in 2011 to protect accidental display by people that are legally carrying concealed.

Florida statute 790.053: Open carrying of weapons.
(1) Except as otherwise provided by law and in subsection (2), it is unlawful for any person to openly carry on or about his or her person any firearm or electric weapon or device. It is not a violation of this section for a person licensed to carry a concealed firearm as provided in s. 790.06(1), and who is lawfully carrying a firearm in a concealed manner, to briefly and openly display the firearm to the ordinary sight of another person, unless the firearm is intentionally displayed in an angry or threatening manner, not in necessary self-defense.
Statutes & Constitution :View Statutes : Online Sunshine

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Intent can be a very tough thing to prove. Glad I don't live in FL anymore although there gun laws are pretty reasonable as I recall. This section was written after I left.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
Respectfully, we seem to get an inordinate number of these sorts of questions & I always wonder the same thing. :blink:

If you already know that there's a high likelihood you're currently printing, rather than worrying about the legality, why don't you just simply...conceal better? :hand5:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Respectfully, we seem to get an inordinate number of these sorts of questions & I always wonder the same thing. :blink:

If you already know that there's a high likelihood you're currently printing, rather than worrying about the legality, why don't you just simply...conceal better? :hand5:
Problem is sometimes the shirt will get stuck or something and then your gun will be visible which makes people nervous especially when you are new to this.
I know I am. Checking ever 30 seconds or so haha.
Need to get used to it but still. For me at least it will take a bit of time.

·
Registered
41,465 Posts
To my knowledge, "printing" has never been an issue in FL. When the statute states "ordinary view," it means exposure--one can physically see the gun itself.

Exposure, even with the latest change in OC law, can be an issue--but a remote one at best. It's just not a problem, and most incidents are tracked down to LE error. I know of no cases where someone was busted because they reached for a can of soup on the top shelf and some little old lady went berserk and screamed "OMG! Gun!"

The fear of fear is much greater than the cause for fear. Pack a 1911 under your skin-tight Underarmor shirt and you set yourself up to create an issue--anywhere. Don't be a DA.

·
Banned
747 Posts
Former FL LEO here. Most LEO will say that if they can clearly see the gun under the garment, they would consider that illegally open carrying of a firearm. So you cant just throw a wife beater over it or other thin shirt. Realistically, you need layers (button down shirt over another shirt), colors, and prints to break up the outline of the gun if you are carrying on your waist.

Or you could carry the official Florida way, in your pocket.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Former FL LEO here. Most LEO will say that if they can clearly see the gun under the garment, they would consider that illegally open carrying of a firearm. So you cant just throw a wife beater over it or other thin shirt. Realistically, you need layers (button down shirt over another shirt), colors, and prints to break up the outline of the gun if you are carrying on your waist.

So in the end it's subjective. That's what worries me the most considering 2 layers of shirt in FL is like being grilled at the gates of hell.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
It's pretty much up to the discretion of the police officer. If he suspects that you have a weapon and searches you and finds one, you were printing. I've been carrying for 20 years and have never had a problem, but I live in the northern part of the state and they're more gun friendly up here than they are in the central and southern part. To me, seeing a bump under someone's shirt isn't bad. Seeing the outline of the weapon is bad. I've seen guys running around with OWB holsters with the bottom of the holster showing out from under their t-shirts. It was pretty obvious they were carrying and it would only take one citizen to complain and it would have created a situation.

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
If you're spotted as carrying a concealed weapon and your shirt is tight enough to identify it as a revolver (for example) and you can easily identify the Smith and Wesson label through the TIGHT shirt, you might have a problem.
Just because I have a (larger than normal) colored T-shirt over my Glock and a bump is detectable, I'm not worried about it, and I've never met anyone who has had a problem. Most of my friends carry. I believe the concern is Much Ado About Nothing.

·
Registered
12,686 Posts
.The gun is definitely printing under the t-shirt...
THEN your next comment >
Problem is the shirt will get stuck or something...
IMHO, your posing a question while moving the goalposts. In the 1st instance, you're already sure it's happening under normal circumstances. In the 2nd example, it's a rarely occurring anomaly. Not trying to be picky, just trying to help. Soooo...which IS it? :blink:

·
Registered
1,069 Posts

Because of incidents like this: Federal Suit Filed Over Deputy Tirade & Illegal Arrest Of Gun Owner

That was in Florida in 2009, before the law was changed in 2011 to decriminalize such accidental, brief exposures. Even though the brief exposure was 'technically' illegal, he was never prosecuted because (IMO) that was never the intent of outlawing open carry. Which is why an amendment was passed in 2011.

But, even if someone does a great job in (legally) concealing their firearm there are always going to be unique situations. E.g. they get to a location where they are not allowed to legally bring a firearm in. Even to remove the firearm and lock it in the car risks a temporary exposure.

I agree with you that the individual has the responsibility to know an obey the law, but at some point it becomes an impossible requirement. Thankfully, I live in a state where open and concealed carry are legal w/o permits. So, if I carry concealed and the firearm is accidentally exposed, there are no "legal" consequences.

To the OPs question, printing is an interesting conundrum when it comes to equating that with "open" carry. Not to be crude, but it's always been my understanding that a woman in a white t-shirt that is wet is not considered nudity (may vary depending on the state). So, by that same token, printing would not necessarily be exposure. But, that's just my opinion. Each person should do the research for their own locality and make decisions accordingly. In the end, if a cop has enough information to think you have a gun then they will act accordingly based on what they *think* the law is - even if the law supports you. As they say, "you can beat the wrap, but you won't beat the ride"

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
In Brevard county, FL it is not a problem. We have a 25% CCW population here, and the BEST Sheriff there is on the 2A. (Wayne Ivey).
I routinely have breakfast with many Sheriff deputy's and local LEO at a restaurant I frequent (OV's fav too).
I have both accidentally printed and exposed my 1911. The only comments were those of interest, like "What ammo are you using".

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
Pride in not printing (doing it right) > legality

Reactions: molleur

·
Registered
41,465 Posts

I can clearly see you have the outline of a holstered firearm in your pocket. You are guilty until proven innocent. I decided to interpret that statute that way...

The law states concealed from "ordinary view," not from extreme LEO scrutiny. My gun is covered, I have a CWFL, inquiring LEOs can see my license upon request. Otherwise, too bad.

·
Registered
41,465 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,639 Posts
I usually carry a full size 1911 OWB with an un-tucked shirt. I may accidentally print while sitting or bending.
Mostly no one would know. I don't get paranoid about it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts