Defensive Carry banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm referring to good publications like Guns & Ammo, Handguns Magazine, Shooting Times and etc. I've honesty never seen a bad review for a gun in any gun mag. Even Taurus auto pistols are made to sound like the best things since sliced bread. I've never read about any failures, issues, bad reliability reports etc. Every gun that's reviewed always sounds perfect.

Are the writers (a) funded by the gun companies (b) given the best guns from those companies - guns that were already tested and known not to malfunction or (c) told by their editors not to write bad reviews.

I almost can't trust them to give me an honest review. What are your thoughts on this?

·
Registered
6,587 Posts
Advertise in a publication & receive good reviews. Money talks.

Reactions: DaveInEdmonds

·
Premium Member
9,411 Posts
I don't read gun reviews, except to figure out what basic features the gun has (e.g., safeties, hammer or striker, etc.).

Whether you like a particular gun is subjective.

You can find a reviewer that will rave about eggplant. But it's still eggplant to me.

Reactions: bgusty

·
Super Moderator
20,198 Posts
American Handgunner is about as straight as you'll see. If they get a real dog of a gun, they just won't print the review. That saves the gun maker embarrassment and still protects the magazine's advertising revenue stream.

·
Registered
45,188 Posts
Not really. At best the author will casually throw in a quick comment about a few FTFs or such with Blah-blah ammo or some other blame besides the gun. In one recent such report about the G30S, the author stated 3 times about how he didn't like compact large-caliber handguns, so it wasn't suprising that his review was lukewarm in spite of the firearm perfomring flawlessly. He let his personal limitations reflect in the review.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Gun Tests Magazine is about the only one that I've seen that gives out bad grades (reviews) where they think they're warranted. Therefore, they're the only mag, other than American Rifleman that I subscribe to. They also don't take ad money as noted above, which I think helps keep them honest.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
I'm referring to good publications like Guns & Ammo, Handguns Magazine, Shooting Times and etc. I've honesty never seen a bad review for a gun in any gun mag. Even Taurus auto pistols are made to sound like the best things since sliced bread. I've never read about any failures, issues, bad reliability reports etc. Every gun that's reviewed always sounds perfect.

Are the writers (a) funded by the gun companies (b) given the best guns from those companies - guns that were already tested and known not to malfunction or (c) told by their editors not to write bad reviews

I almost can't trust them to give me an honest review. What are your thoughts on this?
All of the above

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
I've seen a few now and then. But as you suggest, they're rare.

Fact is, money talks. Advertising money is pretty tasty, with any publication. Bashing marginal product pretty much rules out getting any repeat ad business from such manufacturers. And so, the semi-scam continues.

Our only weapon: don't buy the publication. What I've done for a couple decades, now, is to simply purchase the occasional "Buyer's Guide" issue that comes out, though even that has become a rarity for me. Won't do the subscription thing, as I can't stand all the worthless ad-heavy and slanted junk between the pages of the average magazine.

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
It's the same reason why I take Hickok45 youtube reviews with a grain of salt. They guy never has a bad thing to say about firearm reviews, and if he says anything negative it's very political. I can't stand terd polishers....

·
Registered
45,188 Posts
I think forum claims are far more exaggerated than the reviews.

·
Premium Member
3,579 Posts
I would have to agree, as it goes back to the opinion I have mentioned on Defensive Carry several times in which I think most people can't shoot and are not proficient with the firearms they own.

·
Premium Member
13,164 Posts

Are the writers (a) funded by the gun companies (b) given the best guns from those companies - guns that were already tested and known not to malfunction or (c) told by their editors not to write bad reviews.

Same goes for car and truck reviews, kayak reviews, and just about anything that exists for sale where there is a
product oriented magazine. Every computer ever built has the fastest "lightening speed" processor every known to man
and more and faster memory than an old elephant. I seldom see a bad review of these either.

Its advertising.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There may be a lot of justifying the guns that were bought. Taurus owners will defend their pistols to their grave but I honestly can't stand or trust Taurus pistols if any kind (I owned and sold the one Taurus - the .45 ACP millennium pro - in less than 48 hours. It was just rancid)

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Same goes for car and truck reviews, kayak reviews, and just about anything that exists for sale where there is a
product oriented magazine. Every computer ever built has the fastest "lightening speed" processor every known to man
and more and faster memory than an old elephant. I seldom see a bad review of these either.

Its advertising.
I think car reviews are a little less bias. I work in the auto industry and our cars get a black eye from the mags off and on. They're merciless.

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
You can probably find one on the Grendel P10 out there somewhere. :wink:

1 - 20 of 37 Posts