Defensive Carry banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a year and a half old son and quite a few guns.

All the guns are stored in a safe manner.

He will eventually come to understand that mommy and daddy have guns in the house.

The only formalized educational materials I am aware of is the Eddie Eagle program from the NRA but I do not know how effective it is.

If you could weigh in on what you have done with your kids as well as what formalized educational materials you recomend surrounding gun safety for children, that would be appreciated.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I showed my kids Eddie the Eagle. I think they were less than impressed.
Kept them locked up, told them never to touch, but never kept the guns a secret or mystery. Me putting on a Glock is nothing more exciting than picking up my car keys to them.
They know nothing different. Any time they want to see them or shot them we do it. But they always have to cite the 4 rules.We have random pop quizzes on the 4 rules.
Anytime we go shoot, venture into a gun store.. They cite the 4 rules. They know which relatives they are allowed to shoot with if I am not there.

My son got his 1st .22 at 5. He is now 10 and now I am teaching him more. For example; When you pick up a gun your clear it.
Just keep building on their interest. My other son now 7 is coming along in the same way.

Edit: BTW some programs will say things that we here may disagree with. ie. never load a gun until you are ready to shoot. Don't store guns and ammo together in same place.. You don't want conflicting info with things you do.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Eddie the Eagle is great. My kids run around the place singing "Stop! Don't touch! Run away! Tell a grown-up!". I just wish they'd make more videos to keep the interest up.

·
Registered
1,996 Posts
Eddie Eagle is a good program once they are old enough to understand it.
Cornered Cat has some good material for kids posted on her website. Just Google her.

I keep everything locked up except what is on me.

Reactions: SatCong

·
Premium Member
8,176 Posts
Eddie Eagle has been used in thousands of elementary schools and is so effective that now the anti gunners are using it and claiming it is their program.......like Gore inventing the Internet.......

·
Registered
1,860 Posts
I have to start getting on this again since I have a grand daughter coming in march, but when my daughter was young I worried more when she went to friends houses.

·
Registered
6,995 Posts
My boys grew up with guns, and were so used to them that there was no mystery to them. If they wanted to touch them I'd get them out, if they wanted to shoot we went out and shot, etc... My biggest worry was what happened at others houses. and what my kids told others about my guns. DR

1 - 13 of 13 Posts