Defensive Carry banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deputy Sgt. Rod Lucas was having a conversation with a detective about how to carry their backup weapons when the shot was fired on Monday, Fresno County Sheriff Margaret Mims said. The incident occurred at a sheriff's office near the Fresno Yosemite International Airport.
Mims said Lucas, 46, and the detective were in a room with two other colleagues and there was no dispute, just a conversation about weapons safety.
"The detective had his weapon out. During this discussion, the detective's weapon discharged," the sheriff said. "Sgt. Lucas was struck by the bullet in his chest, and he dropped to the ground."
Lucas was immediately given CPR and rushed to Community Regional Medical Center, where he died.
Mims did not disclose the type of firearm involved in the incident, calling it "an improved secondary weapon for the detective." She said all witnesses have been interviewed except for the detective, who was not identified, due to his mental state which she described as extremely upset.
"We do not know yet the mechanics of how the weapon discharged," Mims said. "So far, we have absolutely no reason to believe this was anything more than a tragic accidental shooting."
During an emotional news conference, Mims described Lucas as a father of four and a well-liked, respected officer who joined the Fresno County Sheriff's Office in 1996.
"He truly was a leader, in the best terms I can describe," Mims said. "We are hurting right now. We're hurting."
Lucas' death marked the 12th officer to die in the line of duty in Fresno since the sheriff's office opened in 1856, Mims said.

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
There are truly no words. Prayers to everyone. May his memory be eternal.

·
Registered
6,946 Posts
In an odd twist a second Fresno Deputy was "adjusting his gear" and shot himself in the leg today! Thats two in the last 4 days! I predict some remedial training coming! DR

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
I hate to hear that. You really never can be too careful around a firearm.

·
Premium Member
1,616 Posts
How tragic to have an accidental shooting. My prayers for the officers involved and their families.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
Sorry that the officer lost his life. But you don't teach safety that way. It reminds of the DEA agent that shot himself in the foot.

Ironically, I had a discussion about this type of thing today with someone and how certain things are just never a good idea to do.... because "stuff" can happen.

Reactions: dangerranger

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
Especially on this sub-forum, a lot of us are very experienced shooters/instructors. One thing that I tell my advanced students, although I am not sure how many really listen, is that the greatest safety hazard to us is complacency. We all know the rules and generally follow them. However, there are times when I myself get so complacent around a firearm that i may not be as safe as i should be. Sad for the officers involved.

Reactions: Sportymonk

·
Premium Member
4,459 Posts
Very sad, I wish all involved peace.

There is one part of the story that really bugs me though. The comment of the sheriff that "During this discussion, the detective's weapon discharged,".

Sorry but while factually correct the reality is that the only reason the weapon discharged it because the trigger was pulled.

Let's not go blaming the poor gun. IT was not at fault. Even if modified it did not go BANG all by itself.

·
Registered
194 Posts
This from a week ago. Slightly less tragic result, in that the victim survived, but the same type of negligent gun handling...

LINCOLN COUNTY, N.C. – An 11-year-old girl is in the hospital after she was accidentally shot by her mother, a sheriff’s deputy in North Carolina.

WSOC reports Misty Michelle Flowers, 38, a deputy with the Lincoln County Sheriff’s Office, was showing her service weapon to guests when she accidentally fired the gun and the bullet went through a wall and hit her daughter in the next room.

Deputies arrived at the scene around 11:23 p.m. on Saturday and started to aid the girl’s injuries. She was taken to Carolinas Medical Center in Lincoln before being airlifted to Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte.

The girl was shot in the abdomen and is in stable condition, deputies say.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
How tragic to have an accidental shooting. My prayers for the officers involved and their families.
Sorry but there was nothing accidental about it, if it happened the way they say if was Negligent not accidental no matter who was involved.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Primary reason we need to be vigilant about firearms safety. If you aren't shooting or demonstrating something immediately, put it back in the holster. If a discussion starts and you are answering detailed questions... holster up.

·
Banned
3,890 Posts
RIP to the slain officer. However there are at LEAST two lessons here:

1. trigger control....or should I say "finger control" is essential to safety.
2. The vague response by the police department as to the actual details of the fatal shooting is telling and should be a lesson to all CHL holders if you are involved in a shooting. Bottom line: When faced with the same scenario the police will hold on giving out details of the incident. You should follow their lead and do the same if you are faced with the same scenario even though it is police officers who will be pushing for details. They know all about self incrimination.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
How to say this , there are a lot of LEO's ... so % wise, not many have issues. However, there are a lot of them I saw that I considered purely unsafe and dangerous with a gun, who also ended up having ND"s, etc. Thankfully, most cases no one was harmed. But then there was the one deputy who shot his big toe off accidentally. Another that put a bullet in this wrist and traveled up his arm when racking the gun. Uh , what I asked him was .... didn't someone ever tell you not to have your gun pointed at body parts, and to never have you finger on the trigger when racking a gun ? He was actually very very lucky a lot more damage didn't happen... HP went thru the path of least resistance.... but , it did tear up enough of his muscles he lost 50% use of his lower arm on that side.... and would never develop that strength, use, etc back.

·
Registered
2,284 Posts
...."We do not know yet the mechanics of how the weapon discharged," Mims said. "So far, we have absolutely no reason to believe this was anything more than a tragic accidental shooting....."
LE agencies do not state "accidental shooting"; there is no such thing, legally. It was a Negligent Discharge.
... "an improved secondary weapon for the detective." ...
Trigger Job??

LEOs are well known for lacking in firearms skills, it was often quite challenging to get my guys re-qualified on the 3 duty guns. Most barely made the minimum score to qualify. Some took the time to excel, though.
As to NDs, we usually managed to keep these events away from the media.
Had I not sought out more training, my firearms training would have never been much more than the average citizen who applies for a carry permit.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts