Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I stopped in my favorite gun store yesterday and it was full of shoppers.This is a small store, on the outskirts of my city which is outside of Charlotte.There are two other stores including one range ,a few pawnshops and an Academy Sports and Bass Pro in our town.This shop is pretty competitive on pricing,usually beating Bass Pro and Academy.The shop is usually well stocked in Glock,S&W,Springfield,SCCY,and others in most calibers as well shotguns and rifes including ARs.I looked around and noticed that their handgun displays were really low and only a couple ARs on display.I started talking to one of the younger salesmen and commented that they must be doing a good business.He replied that it was booming.They sold 37 ARs between Monday and Friday afternoon and most of the "popular"handguns were low on
inventory.They did have ammo, but the prices were up somewhat,a 500 rd box of Federal 115 gr.9 mm was $139.95 and the 50 rd boxes were $14.95.I had bought one of the 500 rd boxes about 4 months ago at $ 95.95.One of the salesmen replied that the Charlotte "protests" were better for their business than the elections have been.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
It makes sense if you look at it
1. Start of this year gun sales were in a slump no major threats fed agaisnt em ..Ever one had stock up last election so lot of slump saw a lot of companies lay off or close down ..See rem etc stopping DPMS etc to focus on hunting guns ..Market were flooded you could not give away AR15 or mags and ammo
2. Then right as everthing gear down the pandemic really hit home people started to worry how I am going to protec myself ...Sales hit a market imop really not ready for it and overwhelmed a lot of places who are still often months behind
3. Then just as that was starting to calm down as places re open and the major threat of supply chain issues and civil unrest seemed to die down
4. Boom worst riots and unreast national since prob the 60 or 70s ...And up again it went
5. On top of this we have election this year and now question are being raised what is going to happen

I dont see a market calm down no matter .

We are going to see major supply issues for quite a while ... Esp on ammo or other imported stuff

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
Stopped by Wal-mart today. No guns PERIOD. I guess they stopped selling them.
They have moved them in back and locked them and ammo and other high lootable goods in the back to stop lose .

Of course they are only selling hunting weapons and hunting ammo now ....

·
Registered
18,298 Posts
Stopped by Wal-mart today. No guns PERIOD. I guess they stopped selling them.
For me and my house, we wouldn’t buy a gun from Walmart. I’d rather pay extra and support my LGS.

·
Premium Member
952 Posts
I was in my LGS/range last week to shoot. It was dead.

I was there again two days ago; it was standing room only gun buyers.

The run has begun.

·
Registered
7,860 Posts
I had an old friend contact me recently about buying a first gun for personal protection. Glad to see people taking this step.

·
Registered
4,104 Posts
A family member recently approached me about how to get her first gun.

Fortunately there are adequate options in the house that she doesn’t have to panic buy whatever she can find. Range trip coming up soon. We’ll tide her over for now. Saw this coming long ago, so was ready... well before she reached the mindset of desiring to protect herself.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
We just had thousands rally downtown and then marched out somewhere. This after an incident or two, or probably more, last Sunday. I suspect the LGS might have a run this week. They were pretty well stocked mid week.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
A family member recently approached me about how to get her first gun.

Fortunately there are adequate options in the house that she doesn’t have to panic buy whatever she can find. Range trip coming up soon. We’ll tide her over for now. Saw this coming long ago, so was ready... well before she reached the mindset of desiring to protect herself.
Good friend's wife told him she wants to get her carry permit and a pistol of her own. She wants something small, so I loaned him a P3AT and my S&W 36 to try this weekend. She's not new to shooting, but this is the first she's voiced a desire to carry.

·
Premium Member
2,493 Posts
my LGS has the best month of his career in May
but if you did not learn anything from Sandy Hook
your an idiot..Stock up when things are normal,2016 to Covid were
the lowest prices ever....299 for 1000 rounds of 223,189 for 100 rounds of 9MM
22lr 18 bucks a box,AR kits and lowers half price. NOW.....everything is +50% and
in short supply but its heading back slowly

·
Registered
258 Posts
I was looking at adding a new addition to the collection, but decided no way. I'm very glad I bought ample target ammo pre stupidity. Prices are way too high for me to consider buying anything, but I did see a decent deal on .45 ACP so I grabbed 500 rounds. That said I can't see spending on a new firearm or ammo. All way overpriced. I have about 100 rounds left of vintage AP Garand ammo left, finding reasonable non corrosive stock seems gone now too, panic buying made range days much more expensive now.

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
I was at my LGS yesterday. There was a first time buyer, a black lady, who purchased a shotgun. While she was asking questions, I saw her place the muzzle on the floor. I politely told her that it was not a good idea. The owner quickly chimed in and explained why she shouldn't do so. She asked several questions, and it's a good thing she did. She said she wanted it for snakes, then let it slip that she was afraid about everything going on today. I hope she remembers everything told to her about safety. I've never seen that store so crowded. Gene told me his business has never been so good.

While I was there, I saw what at first looked like a Browning Hi Power. It turned out to be a copy.(n)

BTW, I HATE the new smileys.

·
Premium Member
3,951 Posts
I've been trying to get a trigger for a gun, I've YET to be able to get. I was surfing the forum here. I got an email alert at 5:04. I IMMEDIATELY left forum & logged in to website to purchase! (I bought TWO!) Completed order. Got email confirmation at 5:10. Go back to website after I looked at confirmation email, & just for grin's, I checked stock. They were "OUT OF STOCK"! I had actually been on the "waiting list" for about 3 months! I got a notice week ago this past Friday, BUT it went to "junk mail"! Didn't see it till Monday morning, & of course they were GONE! Put my name BACK on list, & figured it'd be ANOTHER 3 months. I GUESS they made 2, "JUST FOR ME"! 😂 I'm "here to tell you", it's "CRAZY" out there! Still waiting on an "upper end", AR ambi safety, I put my name on list in February!

·
Premium Member
672 Posts
I've looked for a couple of things just out of curiosity rather than need, and it seems every retailer has been cleaned out of nearly everything now. All the big mail order places have been hit just as hard as the local mom and pop shop. It's going to be tough to do much for a while.

·
Registered
9,557 Posts
I've looked for a couple of things just out of curiosity rather than need, and it seems every retailer has been cleaned out of nearly everything now. All the big mail order places have been hit just as hard as the local mom and pop shot. It's going to be tough to do much for a while.
Yep was trying to find a sig 229 guide rod and spring ..Nope

·
Registered
Various
15,545 Posts
In the local shop today. The instant check system queue was 3800 and they had no idea how long that would take.

The Oregon State Police instant background check queue was almost up to 4,100 today. They were telling people they would call them in a few days with the disposition.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts