Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking for a budget (and/or used) (<$400) everyday carry 1911 (.45 or 9mm) and am not finding much. My 'go to' shopping sites like Gun Genie and Bud's have very little to offer and my nearby post exchange (I'm 100% disabled and can use the post exchange to save sales tax) also has very little. Just wondering why there seems to be so few available these days - could it be because they're imports? Trying to buy online so I only have to make a single trip to pick up and try to avoid the virus because I'm in the high risk category (x3).
Just wondering......

Also any suggestions for sources would be appreciated.

Reactions: DZUS and NavCop

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Gun and ammo shortage been going on for awhile now because of BLM, compounded by the election year. Can't even get a levergun much less a handgun. This one is going to last awhile I think.

·
Premium Member
5,692 Posts
That’s OK, Op. I was asleep at the wheel on this too, till a couple of weeks ago. The weirdest thing was that I right off the bat at a huge gun store. It was crowded as could be, and they were selling stuff like crazy. But there seemed to be plenty of guns in stock then.

I called all over TN yesterday looking for another .38, and had zero luck. I also looked online, same result for what I wanted.

Im thinking of trying to order one, locally, but no telling when/if it would come in.

Good luck to you.

·
Registered
9,101 Posts
I bought three guns and some ammo last week. I went to my local Green Top store. I found it to be really convenient because they had acceptable guns in stock, there was no waiting and no transfer fee. They had guns in just about every category, but as JeffreyR said, ammo is the bigger problem right now. What I ran into is the common defense calibers, except for 9mm, were out of stock. In 9mm, they only had FMJ and you could only buy 2 boxes per person per day.

Also, I found that if you have a lot of money to spend, like for a Wilson Combat, those were in stock. But if you are going to get picky, like "I want a quality 1911 for under $400," (if indeed such a beast ever existed), those were long gone. What I have read is it is going to be this way for up a long time. Maybe forever if Biden gets in.

You gotta be really flexible. It is a sellers' market. Demand is high, supply is low. Rather than saying "I want a 1911 under $400" (which I would not recommend BTW), it may be better to say, "I want a pistol in a caliber I can some ammo for that is under $400." Personally, last week I was looking for a compact 9mm. I settled on a new-in-box first-gen 9mm Shield, which was not exactly what I wanted, but it was acceptable and reasonably priced. I actually felt lucky to get it.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Reactions: Chaplain Scott

·
Super Moderator
16,820 Posts
Been looking for a budget (and/or used) (<$400) everyday carry 1911 (.45 or 9mm) and am not finding much. My 'go to' shopping sites like Gun Genie and Bud's have very little to offer and my nearby post exchange (I'm 100% disabled and can use the post exchange to save sales tax) also has very little. Just wondering why there seems to be so few available these days - could it be because they're imports? Trying to buy online so I only have to make a single trip to pick up and try to avoid the virus because I'm in the high risk category (x3).
Just wondering......

Also any suggestions for sources would be appreciated.
Have you asked what your exchange can order, I checked the AAFES website and Citadel and RIA are not listed but our exchange has stocked them in the past. Our exchange orders from some local distributers and yours may do the same.

Reactions: airslot

·
Registered
9,101 Posts
I agree with JMF552, "Rather than saying "I want a 1911 under $400" (which I would not recommend BTW)....."
A $400 1911 will take another $400 to get it to run well. Don't ask me how I know this.
LOL. I feel your pain! The following is a rhetorical question that probably doesn't even deserve an answer.

Wouldn't you think that a handgun design that is over 100 years old, that has been produced more than just about any other handgun, that was once produced en mass, reliably, by a sewing machine company who did not have the advantage of modern CNC machines, could be produced as reliable by just about anybody for $400 nowadays? But noooo...

·
Registered
9,676 Posts
Never ever supports Buds ..

That said ..Its a a end of the world painc everthing but hunting guns and some single action are going to going gone and ammo too

And imports as well ... A lot of the non USA factory are shut down or only down Miltary work now

Try gunbroker know what you want and be ready to jump on it

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
What are you wanting to do with this 1911, Mr Ellis?
Well, gee, I thought I'd use it for defense of myself, my family, my home and my truck. I carried one in Vietnam, I'm comfortable with it, I can shoot it well, I know how to work on it, it's not plastic, I've owned a bunch of them over the years and I know how to reload for it....guess that about covers it. I'm not an avid gun enthusiast anymore because of finances and lack of places to shoot - I'm basically a 'one gun guy' and the 1911 fits the bill for me. I can do my own upgrading work to make sure it goes 'bang' at the proper time. Oh, and it's NOT a Glock.

·
Registered
1,583 Posts
I think the desired price is too low. I bought a lower end RIA 1911 12, maybe 13, years ago now brand new for $500 + taxes and fees. They cost more now. It's not a high end gun, but it runs flawlessly if I keep it cleaned and greased.

·
Premium Member
4,614 Posts
@Skip Ellis Here's one that's in stock, BUT YOU BETTER HURRY! May be other's?? Check them out! Grab-a-Gun.

·
Premium Member
4,895 Posts
Much has happened to the industry these past few years. Several large distributers went out of business. Manufacturers are often selling direct to dealers. There isn’t a lengthy pipeline with 2 - 3 months of inventory anymore.

Another key factor is the looming threat of war. Everything is in short supply.

·
Registered
6,386 Posts
Well, gee, I thought I'd use it for defense of myself, my family, my home and my truck. I carried one in Vietnam, I'm comfortable with it, I can shoot it well, I know how to work on it, it's not plastic, I've owned a bunch of them over the years and I know how to reload for it....guess that about covers it. I'm not an avid gun enthusiast anymore because of finances and lack of places to shoot - I'm basically a 'one gun guy' and the 1911 fits the bill for me. I can do my own upgrading work to make sure it goes 'bang' at the proper time. Oh, and it's NOT a Glock.
I ask because a $400 1911 is going to probably require some tuning and parts upgrades to get it to 100%, as needed by a defensive gun.
It may be less expensive to spend a bit more up front. I see a whole bunch of students run rounds through the year, not too many budget 1911’s make it through a 700 rd. class.

·
Registered
18,578 Posts
I was just at Buds today and they had a couple of the RIA’s in the display with some other 1911’s.

I would try and find a Springfield Defender Series 1911. They are a tick over $500 out the door and are a damn fine gun for the money. Mine has been stellar, and it gets shot a lot.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts