Defensive Carry banner

21 - 30 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
18,596 Posts
I ask because a $400 1911 is going to probably require some tuning and parts upgrades to get it to 100%, as needed by a defensive gun.
It may be less expensive to spend a bit more up front. I see a whole bunch of students run rounds through the year, not too many budget 1911’s make it through a 700 rd. class.
Most people won’t shoot it 700 times in a life time, so my take on that is as long as it gets thru the ammo in the gun and maybe the reload when it’s go time.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Last week the LGS and Bass Pro were filled with pistols, revolvers, and long guns. Maybe not every choice from pre-riot times or even pre-Corona panicdema, but plenty of quality choices. Ammo? Not so much. There were a few boxes of .44, .45, and 10mm, but no other service calibers. Rifle? Not much choice in the common calibers. A few boxes of 7.62 and 308. If you have .224 or .240 or some other odd caliber firearm, you can get a little ammo for it. .25, .32, .45-270 (or is it 250). Need a gun quick? Find what ammo is available and get the gun to match. Quality defense means long gun. But .25 or .32 is better than .22 (also hard to find) or a bb gun.

For small game, my son and grandson just got their first rabbits with some decent high-velocity BB guns.

PS, a local gun shop in a small town has been advertising cases of 9mm and .223 ammo for fair prices. Better than have been reported here.

·
Registered
6,390 Posts
Most people won’t shoot it 700 times in a life time, so my take on that is as long as it gets thru the ammo in the gun and maybe the reload when it’s go time.
I forget how much of an anomaly I am putting 1000’s and 1000’s of rounds through my guns each year.

·
Premium Member
692 Posts
I bought a RIA 1911 45 acp last week at my LGS. After tax it was $475ish. I have about 200 rounds through with out a hiccup. I like RIA 1911's I have always found them to be solidly built weapons. I goes well with my SR 1911. When the madness is over and ammo is on the selves again "buy it cheap and stack it deep{".

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
Been looking for a budget (and/or used) (<$400) everyday carry 1911 (.45 or 9mm) and am not finding much. My 'go to' shopping sites like Gun Genie and Bud's have very little to offer and my nearby post exchange (I'm 100% disabled and can use the post exchange to save sales tax) also has very little. Just wondering why there seems to be so few available these days - could it be because they're imports? Trying to buy online so I only have to make a single trip to pick up and try to avoid the virus because I'm in the high risk category (x3).
Just wondering......

Also any suggestions for sources would be appreciated.
Yo, Skip.

Good luck, I hope you can find a 1911 that suits you for your price.

As some above mentioned, it's a sellers' market for now, so as they become available (and they will, just keep checking) it's not likely that there will be many bargains.

And then, ammo is a likely issue.

No worries (election notwithstanding). Eventually, even the hoarders will be sated, and the new-to-gun-ownership folks will have what they need. Ideally, production over-runs might lead to some nice availability and pricing. When, some say a year out, but who knows.

In a years' time, I see some folks with a garage half full of hand sanitizer and toilet paper and half full of 9mm ammo, becoming desperate for an interested buyer.

·
Registered
6,241 Posts
If you don't mind used these are police and Mil surplus. They are solid guns, and shoot well. it is well under your 400 mark. Oh and get the extra mags now.
I have owned a couple of these myself. the only reason I would not buy one as a CCW gun is they are heavy. But the price is right. One of my grand daughters has my last one. It's a house and camping gun for her! Good Luck DR

·
Registered
4,672 Posts
A gun shortage?

I'd better stock up on ammo. :sneaky:

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
I ask because a $400 1911 is going to probably require some tuning and parts upgrades to get it to 100%, as needed by a defensive gun.
It may be less expensive to spend a bit more up front. I see a whole bunch of students run rounds through the year, not too many budget 1911’s make it through a 700 rd. class.
I bought a Rock Island G.I. about 20+ years ago with the express purpose of tearing it up developing some .45 ACP handloads. After a few years of not being able to tear it up I came to trust it more than my higher end 1911's. It became my go-to 1911 years ago, and still is. It turned out to be more reliable and accurate than anything else I got.

I've done a lil bit of work to it, but nothing major. I tuned the extractor myself, had a friend bevel the muzzle and do a trigger job, and when I got older I had to upgrade to enhanced G.I. sights as opposed to the regular G.I. sights.

That old Rock Island has seen thousands of rounds, some of them questionable, hot handloads. Lead, jacketed, plated, HP's RN's TC's, WC's, home cast ...... and ate them all with aplomb.

I trust her so much she sleeps on the side of my bed every night !!

·
Registered
90 Posts
I would first find FFL that would receive online order and process sale for reasonable fee. Then go online and search for what you want and if not in stock, which is likely, then ask them to notify you when available. If they later notify is available move quickly.

21 - 30 of 30 Posts