Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
One thing that we all have in common is that we are all shooters. And we all know that accidents happen. How many of you have a gun shot blow out kit in your range bag (not in your car) and know how to use it? Not sure if this is the appropriate forum but I hope it stays here so everyone sees it. I am not talking about a Boo Boo kit, I am talking about treating a GSW on the scene within seconds to train someones life.

One another note, if you are carrying a firearm you should also have a blow out kit in your bag/car. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
mercop... Of course I do. I'm a swat team paramedic, so yes.

Dedicated for my range bag, I have a custom made Blow Out kit I put together in a pouch which is only about 7 1/2" x 8" x 2" in size.

In that kit, I do have some "boo boo kit" items such as couple antiseptic wipes, band aids, a couple steri-strips to cover and protect minor cuts and scrapes mainly because those injuries are common at the range and because of all the lead exposure, it's nice to have something handy to keep wounds clean and covered.

But more importantly, the kit I carry in the range bag is geared specifically for gunshot wounds.

In that kit I have hemorrhage control, and airway management items.

Specifically, a CAT tourniquet, pressure dressings, Celox hemostatic agent, Asherman chest seal, 3 1/2" chest decompression needles, nasal pharyngeal airways, triangular bandage and a unique very compact inflatable "pocket mask" with one way valve manufactured by Laerdal. The pocket mask is stored in a size approx. 1.5" X 1.5" yet inflated with 2 large breaths it inflates into a full size pocket mask with one way check valve and fits in my blow out kit nicely. I also have a scalpel and a short 5mm cuffed ET tube for an emergency cricothyrotomy.

That kit is always in my range bag.

However, I also always bring with me anytime I go shooting, the trauma kit I carry as the tactical medic on the swat team. It is state of the art, very compact (12" x 14" x 5") and not cheap. Total value for that kit is well over $1,000

Much more comprehensive and advanced it has several grab and rip blow out kits capable of treating a minimum of 4 or 5 independent gunshot wounds, severe burns, major hemorrhage, and also contains more advanced airway items including an commercially packaged emergency cricothyrotomy kit, an endotracheal intubation kit as well as a King airway, manual suction device and bag-valve-mask. Also a multi-size C-collar and two Sam splints for fracture management. Also able to treat eye injuries and environmental emergencies. It also has a comprehensive supply of OTC meds and ointments and for general force protection health. I also have a Kendrick Traction Splint to stabilize a fractured femur which weighs approx 1 lb and in a kit approx 4" x 9".

While that kit certainly isn't necessary for a trip to the range, I have it, I'm trained to use it, I put it together myself so why not have it available, right?

Mercop, if you would like more details or sources for items I have put together or photos, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
693 Posts
George,

Call me and I'll turf a kit or two your way.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks bro, I have to say I am alarmed by the lack of interest in this thread. Too many people prepared to shoot, not enough prepared to treat a gun shot wound. Wouldn't it suck to do everything right and fend off a violent attack, and look over and see a loved one with a GSW and have not training or equipment to save them?

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Thanks bro, I have to say I am alarmed by the lack of interest in this thread. Too many people prepared to shoot, not enough prepared to treat a gun shot wound. Wouldn't it suck to do everything right and fend off a violent attack, and look over and see a loved one with a GSW and have not training or equipment to save them?
I understand what your saying,I know basic first aid and 99% of the time I shoot there is a Doctor within 10 feet of me,In most situations I can think of other than controlling bleeding and making sure person is breathing It's a matter of waiting on the paramedics.

·
Registered
287 Posts
mercop... Of course I do. I'm a swat team paramedic, so yes.

Dedicated for my range bag, I have a custom made Blow Out kit I put together in a pouch which is only about 7 1/2" x 8" x 2" in size.

In that kit, I do have some "boo boo kit" items such as couple antiseptic wipes, band aids, a couple steri-strips to cover and protect minor cuts and scrapes mainly because those injuries are common at the range and because of all the lead exposure, it's nice to have something handy to keep wounds clean and covered.

But more importantly, the kit I carry in the range bag is geared specifically for gunshot wounds.

In that kit I have hemorrhage control, and airway management items.

Specifically, a CAT tourniquet, pressure dressings, Celox hemostatic agent, Asherman chest seal, 3 1/2" chest decompression needles, nasal pharyngeal airways, triangular bandage and a unique very compact inflatable "pocket mask" with one way valve manufactured by Laerdal. The pocket mask is stored in a size approx. 1.5" X 1.5" yet inflated with 2 large breaths it inflates into a full size pocket mask with one way check valve and fits in my blow out kit nicely. I also have a scalpel and a short 5mm cuffed ET tube for an emergency cricothyrotomy.

That kit is always in my range bag.

However, I also always bring with me anytime I go shooting, the trauma kit I carry as the tactical medic on the swat team. It is state of the art, very compact (12" x 14" x 5") and not cheap. Total value for that kit is well over $1,000

Much more comprehensive and advanced it has several grab and rip blow out kits capable of treating a minimum of 4 or 5 independent gunshot wounds, severe burns, major hemorrhage, and also contains more advanced airway items including an commercially packaged emergency cricothyrotomy kit, an endotracheal intubation kit as well as a King airway, manual suction device and bag-valve-mask. Also a multi-size C-collar and two Sam splints for fracture management. Also able to treat eye injuries and environmental emergencies. It also has a comprehensive supply of OTC meds and ointments and for general force protection health. I also have a Kendrick Traction Splint to stabilize a fractured femur which weighs approx 1 lb and in a kit approx 4" x 9".

While that kit certainly isn't necessary for a trip to the range, I have it, I'm trained to use it, I put it together myself so why not have it available, right?

Mercop, if you would like more details or sources for items I have put together or photos, feel free to PM me.
I guess my poltice of mustard root and feathermoss wont cut it,but I do now have some surplus field dressings from a corpman buddy,thanks for the reminder!

·
Registered
635 Posts
I had been train but I don't have an actual pack....(had to turn it in to Uncle Sam)

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I understand what your saying,I know basic first aid and 99% of the time I shoot there is a Doctor within 10 feet of me,In most situations I can think of other than controlling bleeding and making sure person is breathing It's a matter of waiting on the paramedics.

There is a Dr with you whenever you CCW?

·
Registered
866 Posts
I have a nice kit in my car, trauma pads, airways, cervical spine stabilization gear etc - 8 years prior military service, 10 years service as Paramedic, former cpr and first aid instructor...

in the house I have access to feminine napkins and duct tape... what else do I need?

:danceban::danceban:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Blow out kit

I've read about tampons being used to plug bullet holes in people. If so,carry them as well.
I'm an EMT as well and a medic that served in RVN.
Here in NJ all we can do is airway maintenance, control bleeding and treat for shock basically then wait for paramedics.
BacSi

·
Registered
225 Posts
Mercop: I agree with your assessment. I see folks buying 5-6 holsters for different guns @ $130+ each. But to spend some money on a blow out kit isn't on their radar. Go figure.

·
Super Moderator
4,965 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Celox Products - Celox A
Penetrating wounds like shrapnel or knife wounds are very difficult to treat. They can often be lethal. It is extremely difficult to get a haemostatic agent to the real source of bleeding. Now there is a solution.

Celox-A™ is a unique applicator delivery system designed to give you an easy, safe and effective way to stop life-threatening bleeding from difficult to treat penetrating trauma. The instinctive applicator allows you to get the Celox™ granules through a small entry wound, directly to the bleeding site in just a few seconds.

In clinical testing Celox-A™ has repeatedly shown itself to be able to quickly and reliably stop deep arterial bleeds. Of course that should not surprise you - Celox™ granules have already been shown to result in 100% survival in independent US marines’ severe bleeding tests**. Celox’s™ unique, patented and natural formula, works independently of the body’s normal clotting mechanisms to robustly clot blood even where normal blood clotting is slow or impaired.
Celox™ is suitable for

* Small entry wounds
* Penetrating wounds
* Knife and shrapnel wounds
* Bullet entry wounds
* Applying through strong blood flows
* Controlled application to all wounds

Celox™ has been shown to:

* Save lives
* Reliably stop arterial bleeding**
* Significantly reduce blood loss**
* Clot blood containing anticoagulants like Coumadin (warfarin)*
* Quickly clot hypothermic (cold) blood*

* Details of these tests are available at: www.celoxmedical.com
** Journal Academic Emergency Medicine Jan 08, Pages 74-81

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ban Aids are not going to cut it for a GSW. Here is what I have in the Bag of Evil Blow Out Kit.

2 Pr Nitrile Gloves
1 Roll Kerlix (gauze bandage)
2 Trau Medic Bandages (one for the entry hole and one for the exit hole)
CAT Tourniquet
Quick Clot

I also carry a Boo Boo kit in the same bag, the most used items in there are fabric band aids and Burn Gel.
There are only three ways you can cause trauma to a human body-
Burning
Cutting (cuts, stabs, penetrating wounds, rips from explosions)
Crushing (impact injuries)

When something happens slow your roll. Take the time to ALWAYS put gloves one, this will give you a second to clear your mind and think about what you need to do. Grab your kit, access the surrounds and make sure it is safe to render aid. Check the airway, breathing, bleeding. GSWs are not always gushing blood. If the person is standing up, lay them down. Control the bleeding with elevation and direct pressure. In most locations you should see EMS and police rolling in by this time.

If you carry a gun, spare mag, OC, knife...yada yada yada and have no first aid training or gear you may want to reevaluate your mindset because it sucks.

Violent encounter are only problems like car crashes and are problems. You need the training and tools to face all likely problems. You are much more likely to need your first aid kit than a gun. Saving a life feels better than taking one.- George

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hmmmm......good thread.
I used to always have a first aid kit in each car and at least one in the house but this reminded me that I've gotten away from that. Dunno why, no excuse. Gotta get that fixed.

Never heard of a blowout kit either but I'm not surprised as I'm new to firearms. A few of those to supplement my existing kits is going on my shopping list pronto.

·
Registered
22,908 Posts
Yup, got a kit or two, been trained to use it. I've actually used one twice in the last year.

·
Registered
643 Posts

This is actually a great idea for a thread. I could have used one when my wife was hit in the leg in '04. Thankfully, she didnt lose it. Im gonna have to get me a couple of these.

·
Premium Member
10,046 Posts
For those who are interested in a commercially manufactured ready to go Gunshot Wound Blowout Kit here is a link to one by Gall's Public Safety Supplier.

There are lots of these types of kits out there from various suppliers. Some have Quick Clot products, and others have Celox products. Some are without. Some have combat tourniquets and others don't. (If you want to add a combat tourniquet, they can be purchased separately and added to a kit. They run in the range of $35 - $40 for a tourniquet alone) Pretty much all these kits are designed to fit inside a BDU pocket or on a belt so they would also fit inside any range bag easily.

You can also make your own blowout kit, piecemeal and just use the one linked here for ideas.

Anyway, this is just one kit from one manufacturer so good luck hunting for a kit that meets your needs. Most of the various commercially available kits run comparable in price give or take $10-$20.

Note: As always, proper training in the use of specific products in these types of kits are essential! Especially with use of combat tourniquets, hemostatic clotting products like Quick Clot and Celox and the Asherman Chest Seal for treatment of sucking chest wounds. Do Not Use without proper training!

Dynamed Gunshot Trauma Kit from Galls Public Safety <---- hyperlink

1 - 20 of 59 Posts