Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone help me better understand exactly what the gun show background check loophole is? I recently bought a new gun from a dealer at a show and he did a background check. So I assume it has to do with sales between private individuals and what the definition is of a private sale.

Also, it is not uncommon to see folks at flea markets with two or three guns or more for sale. Are these sellers required to perform background checks?

Was discussing all of this with one of my anti gun friends a few days ago. He knew nothing about this and I know only slightly more about this aspect, so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
"Gun show loophole"...

There is no such thing. Buying a gun from a dealer, you'll get a background check. Buying a gun from a private party, you won't. Doesn't matter whether you are at a gun show or not.

This is the same kind of anti-gun doublespeak as "common-sense gun laws".

·
Premium Member
7,276 Posts
It's the libs way to refer to private party sales while trying to make it sound like something bad that the government needs to step in and stop.

If they simply referred to it as private party sales they would face a backlash from people who wouldn't actually support legislation if they were simply informed what the "loophole" actually was.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
It's the libs way to refer to private party sales while trying to make it sound like something bad that the government needs to step in and stop.
Yup. It's incrementalism, 'cause that's what can be gone after first, once the suitable euphemism for a title was selected, that is). Once the hubbub dies down, the plan is to then move on to full and complete checks ... tracing ... registration.

·
Premium Member
37,025 Posts
Can someone help me better understand exactly what the gun show background check loophole is? I recently bought a new gun from a dealer at a show and he did a background check. So I assume it has to do with sales between private individuals and what the definition is of a private sale.

Also, it is not uncommon to see folks at flea markets with two or three guns or more for sale. Are these sellers required to perform background checks?

Was discussing all of this with one of my anti gun friends a few days ago. He knew nothing about this and I know only slightly more about this aspect, so I thought I'd ask here.

Thanks all.
The gunshow loophole, like assault weapons, Saturday Night Specials, Cop-Killer Bullets, high-capacity clips, and reasonable, commonsense gun laws is a contrivance of the antis intended to mislead the public to promote their gun-grabbing agenda.

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
The gunshow loophole, like assault weapons, Saturday Night Specials, Cop-Killer Bullets, high-capacity clips, and reasonable, commonsense gun laws is a contrivance of the antis intended to mislead the public to promote their gun-grabbing agenda.

The Grand Illusion -- Styx got it right. :eek:k:

So if you think your life is complete confusion
Because your neighbor's got it made
Just remember that it's a grand illusion
And deep inside we're all the same

America spells competition
Join us in our blind ambition
Get yourself a brand new motorcar
Someday soon we'll stop to ponder
What on earth's this spell we're under
We made the grade and still we wonder
Who the hell we are

·
Super Moderator
50,610 Posts
Actually, there is a bit if a loophole at gun shows...let me explain.

As things are right now, you buy a gun from a gun shop or a dealer at a show...they all have to have a FFL and must do background checks. Now I've accepted this practice because I have no choice. I would prefer no checks at all.

BUT...at many gun shows, gun buyers gobble up many guns at low prices and set up a table and sell lots of guns without the dealer's required FFL. I'm not including individuals who take some of their personal guns to trade or sell.

IF...the only loophole covered up would be the, I'll call them "unlicensed dealers", then I wouldn't think of them as any different from regular gun dealers...and should have the FFL to do that kind of a business.

This could probably be easily clarified at gun shows if only FFL could set up stands...private individuals carry what they want to trade or sell...I'm just sayin'...

I'm not trying to be pro or con, just pointing out or clarify a question someone had.:hand9:

·
Registered
36,326 Posts

BUT...at many gun shows, gun buyers gobble up many guns at low prices and set up a table and sell lots of guns ...
As was said: there are dealers, and there are private parties. And the "loophole" attempts are seeking to cover private parties ... little different than UBC, though an incremental, supposedly tolerable step.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

As things are right now, you buy a gun from a gun shop or a dealer at a show...they all have to have a FFL and must do background checks. Now I've accepted this practice because I have no choice. I would prefer no checks at all.

BUT...at many gun shows, gun buyers gobble up many guns at low prices and set up a table and sell lots of guns without the dealer's required FFL. I'm not including individuals who take some of their personal guns to trade or sell.

IF...the only loophole covered up would be the, I'll call them "unlicensed dealers", then I wouldn't think of them as any different from regular gun dealers...and should have the FFL to do that kind of a business.

This could probably be easily clarified at gun shows if only FFL could set up stands...private individuals carry what they want to trade or sell...I'm just sayin'...

I'm not trying to be pro or con, just pointing out or clarify a question someone had.:hand9:
Thanks much. I'm not trying to be pro or con either, nor do I have an axe to grind. But I do like to be well informed.

One more question, at what point does a seller have to obtain a FFL?

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
One more question, at what point does a seller have to obtain a FFL?
when you're doing it to make money. if you're just selling to get rid of it, even to purchase another. you should be good
Yes. I'd think, even if you've just purchased it and then turn around and sell it because a deal popped up you'd still be good.

Where the loopers get cranked is when folks essentially set up shop inside the show and crank a good number of guns through their hands without being dealers. Though, any show operator ought to be able to keep such folks out by issuing vendor tags and monitoring the tables for sneaks. One would think they'd have strong incentive for doing such things, lest they be charged with aiding and abetting criminal circumvention of the statutes on "dealing."

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
You can sell from your "private collection" without an FFL. If your private collection is one gun or a thousand, the law doesn't specify. However, if you had a booth at a gun show with your 1,000 gun private collection and somebody came up and said, "Do you have X gun?" and you said, "No, but I can get you one", you are a dealer and require an FFL.

Reactions: KBSR and HotGuns

·
Registered
9,341 Posts
There a a Reuters reporter at a gun show, who stopped a person who was there to sell his rifle. The report paid about $1500.00 cash for it, and everyone was happy, you'd think? The reporter turned to the camera and stated this is how GUN SHOWS bypass background checks. ( I wonder if she put in a grinder , or is it sitting in someone's gun safe right now)

·
Registered
36,326 Posts
There a a Reuters reporter at a gun show, who stopped a person who was there to sell his rifle. The report paid about $1500.00 cash for it, and everyone was happy, you'd think? The reporter turned to the camera and stated this is how GUN SHOWS bypass background checks. ( I wonder if she put in a grinder , or is it sitting in someone's gun safe right now)
Sounds like a "straw" purchase to me: the newsie wasn't buying for herself, but for "the cause" (whomever that is). Where's the BATFE when you need 'em? :tongue:

·
Registered
9,955 Posts
Well since there should not be a regulation that requires a FFL or a background check of any kind the whole point is moot. Its all illegal and unconstitutional.

·
Registered
15,177 Posts
Sounds like a "straw" purchase to me: the newsie wasn't buying for herself, but for "the cause" (whomever that is). Where's the BATFE when you need 'em? :tongue:
Actually no, IMHO since she didn't fill out a 4473 stating that she was the actual buyer of the weapon,it was a private sell from one party to another,if she wanted to give it to somebody else after she bought it then that is her choice again no background check required

·
Registered
3,063 Posts
The gun show loop hole is simply a private sale which does not require a back ground check. Whether this is a true "loophole" or not really depends on which side of the gun debate you reside on. I have mixed feelings about it myself.

·
Registered
4,628 Posts
Before we try new laws . Why not enforce what we have? Give that a try for a few years.
Truth is the Liberal DA's don't enforce the gun laws.
They had a list of criminals that tried to buy weapons not one is in jail, but the closed the gun store turn that turned them in.

·
Registered
11,157 Posts
Buy a gun from a dealer: background check
Buy a gun from an individual: No background check

The anti gun folks want all gun sales recorded. That way they have a record of who has what. That way when something else happens (like sandy hook) they know exactly where to find the guns....

Reactions: BugDude
1 - 20 of 24 Posts