Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,789 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the Abilene gun show security last weekend. Attendance was a little off. It was rainy there last weekend which usually helps gun show attendance. Wonder if the election results cooled the ardor of those who buy for end of the world regulation and restriction?

Saw the usual suspect firearms there, that I've been seeing at the regular exhibitors' tables for some time now. Nothing new and the price tags are looking shopworn. Prices on them haven't been lowered though.

Prices on ARs and AR 15 components haven't dipped yet. I have a brother-in-law who has gotten into building ARs in a big way so perused some lowers, filing away what I saw for a potential future project.

Scuttlebut at the friendly Friday night set-up gab session was that ... wait for it ...

... Revolvers are hot (just since the election) and are making a come-back, and the latest hot AR 15 thing is "retro" rifles along the vein of the Colt SP-1. "Retro" ARs are said to be becoming more popular than ARs with doodads.

Now you must consider that most of the gun show exhibitors are even more geezerly than I am. This is the first I've heard either rumor and I have no idea if either is true. What do y'all think?

Few things new that I saw that come to mind.

Smith & Wesson 3 1/2-inch Model 27 with target stocks - $875 (don't care at all for the look of the 3 1/2-inch Model 27 with the target stocks. Ruins the whole "bad boy" look of the piece but that's only one opinion).

Mid-1960s Smith & Wesson Model 36 round butt, 2-inch blue "diamond" stocks - $450. This one gets a mention because of its condition. I have no need of a Model 36, but it was lying there on its right side on the table looking like quite the jewel. Picked it up to idly examine it more closely and turned it over to see large "gloppy" blotched staining where the rust was chemically degraded. Suicide gun? Was user grade and about $200 too high in my view.

Winchester Model 1885 Low Wall .38 WCF. Nice blue and silvery receiver with faint case colors. Excellent bore. Would have loved to take it home. Only $1850!

A 1951 Marlin 39 .22 for $750. Good used condition. I'd love to have one and this one would do nicely. Seems a bit high. Quite high, actually. Show promoter has it on his table so I'm sure something could be worked out.

There's a guy there who has a raft of desirable Colt products. All pre-1970 stuff with much pre-war stuff included. Oh, maybe a Python or two could have been made after 1970. All excellent to NIB condition. Few with boxes though. Government Models in .45 and .38 Super. Aces, Woodsmans, Detective Specials, the odd high condition Police Positive Special or Official Police. Only thing is, his prices would lop one's head off. He's a collector showing off his collection and his collection is observed to be growing over the past three years or so. He's not selling anything that I can observe and he always seems to have even more Colts each time I see him.

Something new he had was a grouping of First Generation Single Action Army revolvers. Eight of 'em. Some pretty nice including a 1913 vintage 7 1/2-inch in the rare .38 Long Colt caliber in really fine shape. His pride and joy among these SAAs was a low 5-digit nickel .44 WCF gun. Now this one had quite degraded nickel and thick scaly rust build-up where the nickel was missing. Frankly, it looked like someone threw up on the gun. Came with shrunken ivorys which I think I remember showing on his factory letter. Was shortened to 5 1/2inches from the original 7 1/2 inches. It may have been "really sumpin'", but I can't become enthused about such a plug ugly gun.

As always a sea of black plastic, rifles and pistols, most of which I cannot gen up much personal interest in viewing closely.

·
Registered
20,097 Posts
I think the black rifles and plastic will always appeal
to the younger crowd, and sell despite the election results, but I haven't frequented a GS in sometime.

Around these parts, most of what I'm looking for can be found at the plethora of flea markets and local fall community events at much better prices, and it's easier to do a little horse tradin.

One think I don't understand is the crazy high prices on Marlin 39's.

·
Premium Member
36,757 Posts
I did the Columbus show a week ago for the first time in several years. The crowd was much thinner than it was during the 2013 scare, and the ARs were there in abundance. Hardly anything for the AK, which I found a bit surprising.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
Yep retro guns are back ..Troy and FN and I think colt are all doing Retro buils ..M16a1 and CAR15 style

The ones from FN and colt look nice

I dont like Troy as they put a stupid fake third hole on there and had to mod the interanl pretty good to allow that ..Ie a lot of junk in there to block auto sears and auto parts

Reactions: gatorbait51

·
Registered
9,439 Posts
Revolvers have been hot. Not sure about the AR rumor though.

I did the Columbus show a week ago for the first time in several years. The crowd was much thinner than it was during the 2013 scare, and the ARs were there in abundance. Hardly anything for the AK, which I found a bit surprising.
Ive tossed around the idea of getting another AK recently. Then I saw the prices that people want for them these days and pretty much stopped considering it.

·
Premium Member
36,757 Posts
Ive tossed around the idea of getting another AK recently. Then I saw the prices that people want for them these days and pretty much stopped considering it.
I too tossed the AK idea around for quite awhile before I actually bought one. I am very happy with the one I got.

·
Registered
9,893 Posts
Issue with AK is they are imported and the factories are making guns for war not commerical now.. Give it a few months and it will be ok esp with the new pres essing some ofhte EO

·
Premium Member
8,385 Posts
Did the Abilene gun show security last weekend. Attendance was a little off. It was rainy there last weekend which usually helps gun show attendance. Wonder if the election results cooled the ardor of those who buy for end of the world regulation and restriction?

Saw the usual suspect firearms there, that I've been seeing at the regular exhibitors' tables for some time now. Nothing new and the price tags are looking shopworn. Prices on them haven't been lowered though.
A 1951 Marlin 39 .22 for $750. Good used condition. I'd love to have one and this one would do nicely. Seems a bit high. Quite high, actually. Show promoter has it on his table so I'm sure something could be worked out.

As always a sea of black plastic, rifles and pistols, most of which I cannot gen up much personal interest in viewing closely.
I must jump in with a slightly off topic post.

The 1951 Marlin is no ordinary Marlin - It was a "Peanut" Marlin. In the pistol grip cap was a peanut shaped cut-out, beneath which rested a brass plate. An owner could send the plate into Marlin and have it initialed.

I owned a pristine Peanut for about five years. The blueing was about 99%; there were very few stock marks, and the gun was in truly excellent condition. Coincidentally, I purchased it for $750, and and later sold it for $750. I shot one round through it, as it was just too pretty for me to shoot. I decided to part with it because I wanted it to be with someone that would enjoy it (after paying my $750, of course). As luck would have it I ended up selling it to a man who was born in 1951.

A few pictures follow. As for the gunshow - $750 is top dollar for a gun in excellent condition. If it had wear, dings, and a normal patina, however, then it was way over priced.
IMG_5935.jpg IMG_5936.jpg Peanut 2.jpg Peanut 4.JPG

·
Registered
7,189 Posts
I can believe the "retro" AR and revolver talk. Last thing I bought was a fixed sight L frame S&W and last thing I built was a carbine on an A1 upper. No bells or whistles. About as simple, rugged, and reliable as those platforms come.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
I think the black rifles and plastic will always appeal
to the younger crowd, and sell despite the election results, but I haven't frequented a GS in sometime.

Around these parts, most of what I'm looking for can be found at the plethora of flea markets and local fall community events at much better prices, and it's easier to do a little horse tradin.

One think I don't understand is the crazy high prices on Marlin 39's.
The Marlin 39's in rifle length are in high demand because of the small bore silhouette crowd. Their rules seem to favor the marlin. In a distant second place is the Henry with the Octagon barrel. I don't remember what it is but You have to make some kind of mod to make the Henry competitive. DR

·
Super Moderator
19,884 Posts
Well, for the first time in maybe 10 years I missed the big, 3-day Crossroads show in Phoenix on the previous weekend. I usually do a little writeup on what's hot and what's not, and ammo prices, kind of a thumb on the pulse of buyers and sellers. More's the pity that I missed this one since it's the first show in a decade that followed the election of a President that wasn't virulently anti-gun.

What I was looking forward to seeing was both the new Kimber K6 defensive revolver, and the 10-shot Ruger GP100 in .22. For Kimber to launch a new gun completely unlike anything else in their lineup clearly represents a major investment on their part; even more so since it's all-metal framed. I haven't seen what the K6 fetches for a counter price yet, but I'm sure it's nothing like the Tupperware pieces from Ruger and Taurus. It'll be interesting to see if the K6 catches on, especially at what I imagine will be a premium price. If it does, maybe that might be an inspiration for Colt, if they ever figure out who they are.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
One of the things about revolver collectors is they are getting older, And as they do those collections are getting broken up. People used to think all the good first gen Colt pistols were gone. But the people who hunted them have hit that age where their guns are coming on the market that we haven't seen in years! Look at all the WWII and Korean era vets that held large collections!

As far as younger people not liking revolvers. They don't even consider them. My boys are 42 down to 27 years old, Other than Westerns I can't think of one movie where a revolver played a part. Since they can remember local cops all carried Semi Auto's, and the Military has been all auto's. They just don't think about them at all! DR

·
Registered
11,607 Posts
To your point about revolvers becoming more popular, this one's more than a rumor: Colt will be coming out with a new Python. I know a guy who has handled one of the prototypes. It looks pretty much like the original, except the trigger guard is slightly larger. The internals are new, though, and probably better. The old Python was prone to timing issues with rough use. It will also be competitively priced. I think it will be a hot seller.

·
Registered
311 Posts
My brother's been anti-gun for years. Since Trump got elected he started talking about buying a S&W .357 mag because his buddy told him it's the best choice for a personal defense weapon. He doesn't know I own guns and I just didn't have the strength to tell him he wants a Glock.

·
Banned
10,182 Posts
typically I'm disappointed at the shows here
1. used guns priced higher than you can get a new one for.
2. dealers mis-gauging what the public wants, people always walking out talking about the same guns, that no dealers had .
3. AR's, priced like the ban is in effect and priced like it was the last one made.
4. The one or few dealers selling them for a decent (not great ) price, are the only tables with people around them.
5. Lots of antique / older rifles, etc. ..... priced badly, and they are still dragging in the same guns they had 4 yrs ago, and I figure they are too proud of them and just don't really want to sell them. Saw one I would have bought, but was badly damaged and they had it priced like it was in mint condition. .... that type of thing.

Best deals are getting supplies and handgun magazines.

·
Premium Member
6,842 Posts

Prices on ARs and AR 15 components haven't dipped yet. I have a brother-in-law who has gotten into building ARs in a big way so perused some lowers, filing away what I saw for a potential future project.

Scuttlebut at the friendly Friday night set-up gab session was that ... wait for it ...

... Revolvers are hot (just since the election) and are making a come-back, and the latest hot AR 15 thing is "retro" rifles along the vein of the Colt SP-1. "Retro" ARs are said to be becoming more popular than ARs with doodads.

Now you must consider that most of the gun show exhibitors are even more geezerly than I am. This is the first I've heard either rumor and I have no idea if either is true. What do y'all think?

Few things new that I saw that come to mind.

Smith & Wesson 3 1/2-inch Model 27 with target stocks - $875 (don't care at all for the look of the 3 1/2-inch Model 27 with the target stocks. Ruins the whole "bad boy" look of the piece but that's only one opinion).

Mid-1960s Smith & Wesson Model 36 round butt, 2-inch blue "diamond" stocks - $450. This one gets a mention because of its condition. I have no need of a Model 36, but it was lying there on its right side on the table looking like quite the jewel. Picked it up to idly examine it more closely and turned it over to see large "gloppy" blotched staining where the rust was chemically degraded. Suicide gun? Was user grade and about $200 too high in my view.

Winchester Model 1885 Low Wall .38 WCF. Nice blue and silvery receiver with faint case colors. Excellent bore. Would have loved to take it home. Only $1850!

There's a guy there who has a raft of desirable Colt products. All pre-1970 stuff with much pre-war stuff included. Oh, maybe a Python or two could have been made after 1970. All excellent to NIB condition. Few with boxes though. Government Models in .45 and .38 Super. Aces, Woodsmans, Detective Specials, the odd high condition Police Positive Special or Official Police. Only thing is, his prices would lop one's head off. He's a collector showing off his collection and his collection is observed to be growing over the past three years or so. He's not selling anything that I can observe and he always seems to have even more Colts each time I see him.

Something new he had was a grouping of First Generation Single Action Army revolvers. Eight of 'em. Some pretty nice including a 1913 vintage 7 1/2-inch in the rare .38 Long Colt caliber in really fine shape. His pride and joy among these SAAs was a low 5-digit nickel .44 WCF gun. Now this one had quite degraded nickel and thick scaly rust build-up where the nickel was missing. Frankly, it looked like someone threw up on the gun. Came with shrunken ivorys which I think I remember showing on his factory letter. Was shortened to 5 1/2inches from the original 7 1/2 inches. It may have been "really sumpin'", but I can't become enthused about such a plug ugly gun.

I dont need another Model 36, but I would have swung at that one - until the part where you turned it over. $400 - $450 reasonable a year or two ago in these parts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts