Defensive Carry banner

1 - 20 of 97 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a lot of trees in my back yard and try as I might, I cannot keep the squirrels off my bird feeder. I have given them their own feeding chair with a corn cob stuck on it - and they use it, but they like the bird seeds too. I want to get something to leave the squirrels with a reminder that the bird feeder is not worth it, but I don't want to kill them.

I am thinking airsoft, but I have no experience with these or know if they are accurate or could kill a squirrel. If airsoft is the right way to go, rifle or pistol? Any recommendations for an accurate airsoft gun? If the gun is all sorts of colorful, that would not be a bad thing either as it may keep the neighbors from calling the cops. I appreciate any info that y'all might have on this issue.

·
Registered
36,812 Posts
Anything less than lethal is not going to deter them. They are persistent if nothing else and will learn to overcome any obstacle you can put up. They will only learn to run at first sight of you. I suggest a Havaheart trap and transport them far away.

·
Registered
6,020 Posts
Glock 19... it's the answer to every "What gun should I use to..." question.

Airsoft won't kill the squirrels. I'd go with that.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
How's your aim with a slingshot?

·
Registered
1,629 Posts
Hmm... I would say get something battery powered, rechargeable, and full auto. Even then, I doubt it would keep them away, though. A single shot would probably not thwart them. A low powered BB gun might be better suited for squirrel plinking.

·
Premium Member
6,200 Posts
When I was a kid, and the squirrels were getting Grandma's apples off the tree, we would hang a pie pan in the tree and whenever a squirrel got in the tree, we'd ping the pie pan with a BB gun. The noise was enough to scare them off.

They probably came right back as soon as we left, so I doubt it did a lot of long-term good - but it was fun!

Reactions: NONAME762

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
I have my feeder on conduit poles with a plastic bell curve attached to the pole. They try to climb the pole and get around the bell curve and slide off. Never had another problem. Nothing lethal necessary. Work with nature, don't kill it.

GeorgiaCarry

·
Registered
2,931 Posts

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have my feeder on conduit poles with a plastic bell curve attached to the pole. They try to climb the pole and get around the bell curve and slide off. Never had another problem. Nothing lethal necessary. Work with nature, don't kill it.

GeorgiaCarry
We have a similar set-up. Problem is there is nowhere in the yard that the squirrels cannot launch from a tree and get to the feeder. I don't want to kill them, that was the whole point of this thread. If I wanted to kill them, I have plenty of options for that.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Anything less than lethal is not going to deter them. They are persistent if nothing else and will learn to overcome any obstacle you can put up. They will only learn to run at first sight of you. I suggest a Havaheart trap and transport them far away.
Key West, or California MIGHT be far enough! The advantage to California is that they would be Feinstein's problem, then.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Transporting squirrels would become a full time job. There are usually 5 or 6 in the yard at any time and if were to dislocate those, there would be 5-6 more waiting for me when I got back. I like the idea, but I think a reeducation effort would be more fun than a relocation effort. No telling which would be more efficacious.

·
Premium Member
556 Posts
They do make a metal feeder that closes with the weight of the squirrel, but not that of a bird. Seen it, never used one.

GeorgiaCarry

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
They do make a metal feeder that closes with the weight of the squirrel, but not that of a bird. Seen it, never used one.

GeorgiaCarry
Yea, and they make one that spins around and tosses the squirrel. I have a friend that has one of those and it is a blast to watch, but it goes through more than one battery a week, so he only powers his when he wants to watch squirrels go flying.

·
Premium Member
6,726 Posts
Yea, and they make one that spins around and tosses the squirrel. I have a friend that has one of those and it is a blast to watch, but it goes through more than one battery a week, so he only powers his when he wants to watch squirrels go flying.
I've seen the video. It cracks me up every time.

·
Registered
414 Posts

GeorgiaCarry
Here's one type you mention and I have one. It works very well... BUT... as someone mentioned, squirrels are incredibly adaptive... they tried like crazy to get to the food and failed, but then they realized that if they simply shake the feeder, some seed falls out the holes and onto the ground. So now they'll hop up there and shake it. I still highly recommend the feeder. Amazon.com: Brome 1024 Squirrel Buster Plus Wild Bird Feeder with Cardinal Perch Ring: Patio, Lawn & Garden

As to airsoft/BB gun, I have one and will take shots at them if I see them up there and in fact my first shot with it actually killed the squirrel. I felt kind of bad and buried the little guy. All shots since then have simply stung them.

·
Super Moderator
17,029 Posts

GeorgiaCarry
Have one and it works quite well plus the squirrels eventually learn they are wasting their effort and leave it alone. If you can find or make one a large plastic or metal funnel will prevent them from climbing down to the feeder.

Squirrel Launcher - YouTube

I do like this one though. Ingenious squirrel deterrent - Squirrel Launcher! - YouTube

·
Registered
2,567 Posts
I'm thinking that a simple BB gun may just do the trick if tou dont hit them in the head. Not a powerful one. Like the simple daisy type. You could try it once and see?

1 - 20 of 97 Posts